1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who has one in .45ACP and he wants to sell it to me. He's telling me that it was only made in 1990. His price is $900.00.

While it's a beautiful gun in 98% or so condition with about 100 rounds fired through it, the book values that I've been able to find on this handgun say $500.00 and don't say anything about it being a limited one year run.

I guess what I'm asking is, is the price right and was it a limited edition run.

Thank you

Pete

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The Combat Elite ran for many years. I saw one at a shop last month for 500, along with aDelta Elite for 550. Both were new in the box. There were differant configurations I believe with the Combat Elite. Most I've seen were stainless frame and blue slides with a 3-dot sight system with a round top slide. I've also seen them with enhanced slides in blue with adjustable sights. 900 is too much for that gun

·
Registered
293 Posts
i have a question along those lines. i had a friend that had one for a while and then got rid it. it worked flawlessly, and was accurate. when i wasin the market for another i looked for in a stainless frame with a blued slide but couldn't find any anywhere. then, at the last big show in april in tulsa i found a guy with 4 or five, and they seemed to be in great shape

whats the deal with these, they seemed to be good as anything else, were they a bad run or what? i would like to buy one if i can find one next year.

russel the cop

·
Administrator
73,407 Posts
They were introduced in 1990, just prior to the changeover to the Enhanced guns. Starting in 1992 they were made in Enhanced (an oxymoron to my eyes) form like all other "O Frame" guns, save the M1991 series. So they were indeed made for many years, but mostly in Enhanced configuration.

It sort of reminds me of the Series 70 Colt Combat Government Models that were introduced just prior to the Series 80 guns. They lasted in that form for only about a year as well.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Russel

The first 1911 I owned was a Combat Elite. The pistol was reliable and very accurate. It had a great trigger from the factory as well.

I'm not sure if they received any special attention (probably not) but mine was excellent. Around here they aren't seen very often and are usually overpriced for their condition. I believe they were priced about $75 or $100 higher than a standard Series 80 Government at the time.

The following may be more than you want to know but is based on my Colt catalogs:

1986 - Listed as the "New Combat Elite" w/ Hi Profile 3 Dot sights, Extended Grip Safety, Beveled Magazine Well, Lowered "Positive" ejection port, Stainless receiver with slide and working internal parts in Carbon steel, Rubber Checkered Wraparound Grips with gold Colt Medallion (appear to be Pachmayr with thumbledge) and a "Spur" hammer

1988 - changed to new "Pebbled" black neoprene wraparound grips

1990 - changed hammer to a rounded "Commander" style (don't have a 1989 catalog so it may have changed in '89)

1992 - changed to the new enhanced "Flattop" slide, sights changed from 3 dot to "Accro" adjustable, hammer was a "skeletonized" Commander, drop-in grip safety was added, and .38 Super caliber was offered.

'92 was my last catalog so I don't know when they were dropped.

They are always shown with the Gold Cup pistols on the "competition pistols" page. Don't know if it was just for marketing or if they actually were fit and accurized better...

·
Registered
293 Posts
thanks for the info, i can never get too much info on colts!!!!

next year when i get my tax returns, i am going to try and save the money for the big gun show, and look for a combat elite.
there is just something about the blued slide and stainless frame that make these guns look sharp.

thanks again

russel the cop

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information gentlemen. So what do you think a fair price would be for my buddy's handgun.

[This message has been edited by Just a GI (edited 04-30-2001).]

·
Registered
802 Posts
GI

That's difficult to say - I paid $500 for mine about 10 years ago when they were about $500-550 new. I've only seen used ones at the shows, and most are modified or in conditions I'd consider average or below. Right now, Colt prices are overinflated around here IMO, but I've seen the above mentioned quality for $650 - $900 depending on whose table it is.

I've been hoping to find a new or mint Combat Elite, but wouldn't be willing to pay more than $600 for a mint one. That would be based on what "I feel" the pistol is worth - for emotional reasons only.

I'm a shooter, not a collector, and at $600 or above, you get into newer pistols with a lot more features (if you're looking for a shooter). If you're wanting a Colt that has the name and history behind it, they're a pretty neat pistol, keeping in mind they are functionally a "stock" Series 80 Gov't.

I ended up modifying mine as I got into competition with beavertail, solid bushing etc., so I'd like to find a box stock one someday

Russel - that blue and stainless combo was what drew me into 1911's - it was a great lookin pistol early on.

JSP

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,219 Posts
I saw two Combat Elites in a gun shop today. One in .45 and one in .38 Super. Both were in good shape - less than minty, but no signs of abuse - and they were priced in the $650 range.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies gents. I just called Colt and the very nice lady on the phone looked up the SN and told me that this particular gun was made in 1986.

I think I'm going to educate my friend and see if I can talk him down to $500-$600 price range.

The bluing on this piece is beautiful. I'd love to get it. It fits my hands perfectly and the only thing I think is lacking on it are the sights.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The sights are available thru brownells. The Combat Elite is my favorite Colt and the one I use in Competition most. The 3-dot Colt sights do the job very well. What kind of sights are on the gun?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I built my own Combt Elite. I used a Series 70 slide, installed Wilson Combat Sights, lowered ejecton port. I put this slide on a Caspian stainlesss steel frame, beaver tail, long Wilson trigger, checkered flat stainless mainspring housing, with black ebony double diamond checkered grips. It's to pretty to shoot.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
387 Posts
JoeyMac;

Can you tell me what gunshop you saw a delta elite NIB for $550.00 ? It's time to go into hock again . . . . That is a STEAL !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts