1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anybody give me a first hand comparison between these 2 holsters? I already own a VMII and a WSDT, and for the most part I am very happy with both. I like the wide spread belt snaps on the VMII which puts the weight on the belt, but wish it had a little more forward cant like the WSDT, but I am not 100% sold on the plastic clips riding on the waste band, but then again I like the thin profile and more forward cant of the WSDT.

So, I am planning on getting a Watch Six (not a WSDT), or a Max-Con V for my 4" Kimber PRO CDP and would like some first hand input on both.

I am really leaning towards the Max-Con V to try something different, but am also curious about the rear belt loop being larger on a Max-Con V to allow the holster to shift forward to facilitate drawing from a seated position. I thought the whole point was to match the belt to the loops to make a stable platform, if you wanted it to shift, just order the loops a quarter inch larger than your belt.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Not really an answer to your question, since I don’t have Max-Con V, but I have both VM-II and Watch Six (from Milt Sparks), and they feel nearly identical as far as cant goes. I though WSDT was exactly the same as Watch Six except for clips instead of loops. I guess if your WSDT is made by Lou Alessi then it could be slightly different from Milt Sparks’ version.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My WSDT is made by Milt Sparks and a WS or WSDT does have a little more forward cant than a VMII, I verified this with one of the gentlemen at Milt Sparks.

·
Registered
480 Posts
FWIW, with the Watch-Six I prefer the belt loops rather than the dual talons. I found it difficult to on/off TWO talon clips. It becomes a project. The snap loops are much easier. A few bucks cheaper too.

·
Banned
399 Posts
decoria,

If the rear belt loop arrangement is a concern for you, I can certainly put two loops of the same size on the holster for you. This feature is not a requirement for the holster to function properly- the first year or two the Max-Con V was available, the loops were both the same size.

I do not like to have unsatisfied customers. This is an industry where long term relationships with your customers will make or break a holster shop. Besides, I just believe that people should be treated fairly.

If you order a Max-Con V and don't like it, I'll either swap you out for something else or refund your money.

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to be of further service to you. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Gary, is the MCV lined with any sweatproof type stuff? If not, has it ever been a concern for anybody? I think I've decided on the MCV for my SA compact...the only thing holding me up is the $ (not that $69.95 isn't a steal).

Is there anywhere I can get a look at the other colors of your holsters? The site only shows the black.

I recall reading a while ago that you were having some health related problems, and were getting a little log jam going. I hope your feeling better, so forgive me for asking, but what can I reasonably expect as far as turnaround right now? Just trying to plan...

Thanks!

From the way you sound, I can't' wait to do bidness with you.

·
Banned
399 Posts
Forstr,
Hi and thanks for taking the time to look at my work. As far as "sweatproof stuff" goes, the standard Max-Con V is a single layer holster - no "sweatproof stuff". I did, however, develop a finish process about 20 years ago that involves dipping the holster into a liquid acrylic compound that does a prety good job of sealing the leather. This is adequate for most people's needs.
I have been working on a tropical version of the Max-Con V that does indeed use two layers of leather with a waterproof membrane between them. It's not on my site yet, but I'm guessing that it will cost around $100, give or take.
As far as colors go, the holsters on my site are actually cordovan (deep red), but my buddy who shot the pic's is better with a 1911 than he is with a camera! :D They appear a bit darker than they really are.
I'm about to discontinue the cordovan and natural, so if you want 'em , now's the time to get 'em. My color choices will soon be limited to a medium brown (with a hint of red) and black.
I'm backed up about 6-8 weeks right now. I can get 1911 Max-Con V's out a bit sooner, but that's about it for the most part.
Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do for you. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Well, for right now that just about answers any questions I could have. I think I'd go w/ black anyway. The tropical MCV is intriguing...How much more bulk, I wonder...the acrylic you speak of would suffice, I'm sure. I don't sweat much.

I guess I'll talk to you when I order!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr. Brommeland, I don't think I would be unsatisfied. I was just trying to learn something new.

The train of thought seems to be that the loops should be the same size as the belt to prevent shifting, or refered to as a stable platform. Now you offer a oversized rear loop to facilitate the shifting of the holster when drawing from a seated position, just seems different from the norm. I am no way stating an opinion, I am just trying to teach an old dog a new trick, me. ;)

So, I am trying to gather a little info before I make a decision on what I think I want. I really do like my VMII, but would like something a little thinner for everyday carry, and maybe a little more forward cant to tuck in better to my waist line. I plan on never having to draw my daily carry (at least I hope), so a reinforced mouth is not an issue, and when I remove the holster, the holster comes off with the pistol in it. For IDPA (yes it is a game, but good practice), I use an OWB Heinie holster made by Alessi, and in that case I need the mouth to stay open.

Like I said, just gathering information and right now it is a Watch Six, or a Max-Con V, or maybe someone will mention another craftsman that I am not aware of that makes a similar rig.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm waiting for my WS-1 from Milt Sparks (about 7 weeks now from my order) and I like very much the design of this holster and of the Brommeland MaxCon V. Someone can posts a picture of the backside of these beautiful items?
Thanks, MAXM

·
Registered
421 Posts
Max Con V

I have one of Gary's Max Con V rigs, and I'm here to tell you it works. I cant truthfully compare it to the other holster inquired about, as i dont have one, but i love my MCV. It is THE most comfortable rig i've ever owned. Very comfortable seated. The over sized rear loop allows just the slightest amount of 'slippage' up and forward when sitting to keep the grip accessible. I would highly recommend a matching belt from Gary as well.

dan
(slydel0kt)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So Gary, do you have any Max-Con V available for a 4" Kimber, or is there a long wait time?

·
Banned
399 Posts
Hi Decoria!
I am finishing up a batch of 4" 1911 Max-Con V's right now. I also had a guy cancel an order on me last night.
I have one extra 4" in stock, RT hand, in black - ready to ship. First come, first serve. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I called Gary and ordered the Max-Con V. But before I got off the phone with Gary, I had also ordered a new matching belt and a pocket magazine holder. Man, I hate when that happens.:cool:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Sir,

I think you're gonna find that his belt is one of the best investments in carry gear you'll ever make.

I know it must seem like I work for Gary's PR dept. I dont. I just know that over the last 12 years I have searched for the perfect rig, but was unwilling to invest the money. Could have saved a lot of time being uncomfortable as well as saved a large amount of not-so-well invested money. Live and learn.

dan
slydel0kt

·
Registered
767 Posts
I can vouch for Gary's quality and workmanship since I own three of his holsters with another on the way. As far as Gary's "waterproofing", it works. I live in Phoenix, Aridzona and although I try to stay indoors as much as possible during the hot months, sweat getting to the gun has never been a problem. Gary's holsters are well worth the wait and a bargain for the price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts