1911Forum banner
181 - 184 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I am not sure of the correct term for this clock material, but they were commonly referred to as Adamantine mantle clocks. I have not seen frequent cracking of these clocks which often came from common homes of late 19th to the early 20th Century. Many of the clocks in the below picture are of this make in my collection and also one closeup.

View attachment 651591 View attachment 651593
They probably were made out of resin.

Back in the late 1890s, resin was used quite a bit as grip panels and gun furnitures with all sorts of wild and crazy colors and patterns.

·
Registered
28,912 Posts
We went to install a new undersea telecommunications cable up through the English channel into the North sea years ago. Prior to doing so we had to do a route clearance as it was to be buried in the bottom. We anticipated dredging up some old telegraph cables on the route clearance which we subsequently did. They were more often then not, insulated with Gutta Percha.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
We went to install a new undersea telecommunications cable up through the English channel into the North sea years ago. Prior to doing so we had to do a route clearance as it was to be buried in the bottom. We anticipated dredging up some old telegraph cables on the route clearance which we subsequently did. They were more often then not, insulated with Gutta Percha.
Back in the days both hardened rubber and gutta percha were used for grips and stocks. Hardened rubber is from the rubber tree, of course, and is an elastomer. Gutta percha is from the gutta tree and it’s a thermoplastic.

Colt had been known to use both hardened rubber and gutta percha for their pistol grips before transitioning to wood in the mid-1920s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Been wearing an automatic for almost 10 years without issue. Just had it serviced this past year by choice. Intermittently I tried collecting a few others and was fortunate to flip most of them for much more than I paid. I still have my one automatic and it will be with me to the end. Good guns are similar to a good automatic watch. They should and usually hold their value if they are treated right. My opinion is everything should be used well for its intended purpose. Oh, and Never mind the scotch, Garrison Brothers Cowboy is where it’s at…😎

181 - 184 of 184 Posts