1911Forum banner
161 - 180 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Remember, people that buy plastic guns also buy watches with a battery. Neither hold their value. Buy an inexpensive automatic watch and never look back (and a good 1911).
One this is for sure, I'm always on time and well heeled.

I think the only reason JMB didn't make the 1911 using polymer was that the process wasn't invented yet.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
One this is for sure, I'm always on time and well heeled.

I think the only reason JMB didn't make the 1911 using polymer was that the process wasn't invented yet.

View attachment 642382
There was no plastic back then but synthetics were available in the late 1890s - Colt and others had used polymers in the form of hardened rubber to make grips. Plus various resins were used to make grips and stocks.

So, no, the concept of not using steel and wood to make gun parts weren’t new.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great observation. Cars, watches, firearms, and high end electronics just seem to attract men. I have to be honest, all of these things interest me. Im sure there is some sort of evolutionary explanation
How true, how true.... I have 1911's(newest one being 1983), high standards (newest one being 1972), model 41's (newest one being 1980), multiple seiko diver watches (oldest one being 1979) and a 1970 Z28...LOL......

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the next installment of "plastic gun guys don't have nice watches" here is a little golden manual winder from 1964. Nope, you don't know the brand

View attachment 641634
In the next installment of "plastic gun guys don't have nice watches" here is a little golden manual winder from 1964. Nope, you don't know the brand

View attachment 641634
Вымпел? 1МЧЗ им. Кирова. После ребрендинга Полет.

·
Premium Member
10,503 Posts
There was no plastic back then but synthetics were available in the late 1890s - Colt and others had used polymers in the form of hardened rubber to make grips. Plus various resins were used to make grips and stocks.

So, no, the concept of not using steel and wood to make gun parts weren’t new.
Well they had Bakelite back in 1907 when it was invented. It was considered the first synthetic polymer. I believe if I am not mistaken it was used for a time for grip panels.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Well they had Bakelite back in 1907 when it was invented. It was considered the first synthetic polymer. I believe if I am not mistaken it was used for a time for grip panels.

Bakelite was possibly the first plastic - thermosetting plastic to be exact. And many of grip panels were made out of Bakelite.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am not sure of the correct term for this clock material, but they were commonly referred to as Adamantine mantle clocks. I have not seen frequent cracking of these clocks which often came from common homes of late 19th to the early 20th Century. Many of the clocks in the below picture are of this make in my collection and also one closeup.

Ceiling fan Wood Aircraft Cabinetry Wall
Brown Light Wood Clock Rectangle

161 - 180 of 184 Posts