1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever hear of doing this. My brother-in-law did this 30 plus years ago using his .357, a primered case, & case mouth pressed into a 1/2 inch thick block of parifin wax - no powder at all. He used it to shoot empty pop cans in his garage.

I would imagine that it would tend to wax up the barrel.

Tom

·
Registered
651 Posts
The cases used should have the flash hole open up so the primer presure goes into the case and doesn't blow the primer out of the pocket.

The cases MUST not be used for regular loads thereafter.

Wax bullets used paraffin mixed with beeswax to soften it. I think it was Speer that came out wit RedJet bullets which were a plastic and of course colored red.

They sell rubber bullets that look like air gun pellets, that work well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=489581

X-Ring Rubber Bullets 45 Caliber (451 to 452 Diameter) Box of 50
Product #: 489581
| Manufacturer #: MXR-45
Should Ship Today
Quantity 50
Our Price: $12.99
Unsurpassed for safety, speed, accuracy and economy. Rubber bullets are designed to be loaded into primed, empty brass cases. Enlarging the flash holes is recommended for revolvers to prevent primer setback. Reusable.

Please Note:
# These are not solid projectiles. They are hollow.
# Intended for training purposes only.
# Powered by a primer only.
# Do not use any gun powder with this product

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Jim Macklin said:
"The cases used should have the flash hole open up so the primer presure goes into the case and doesn't blow the primer out of the pocket."

I don't understand why this is necessary; primers are not commonly 'blown out of the pocket' in regular ammunition with 'standard' size flash holes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've done the parafin loads quite a few times. They work really well for mice. :) In a 10mm case with a large pistol primer, the wax will shoot through both sides of a pop can.

I've never enlarged my primer holes, but the primers do back out a little bit when fired. It was never enough to bind up the cylinder, so I never worried about it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
wax

I shot a lot of wax in my 44mag and never enlarged the primer pockets. I later switched to Speer plastic bullets and cases in my 357 and 44mag. In the 45 acp I used was a little bit for pest control and then switched to the rubber bullets they work great. None of the above are toys and should be treated as such. A friend of mine loaded an inch long piece of candle in a 12ga to discourage his neighbors goat from hanging around, a side note if you try this remove the powder first.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Yes, I shot a lot of wax "bullets" back when I was in my late teens. I couldn't afford enough real bullets to satisfy my shooting habit.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If you watch any of the shows on the Outdoor network,
they have a show called "Cowboys" sponsored by Midway USA.
http://www.cascity.com/
On one of the episodes, they were at a convention in Las Vegas.
They actually held an indoor shooting match using wax bullets.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Bill Jordan used wax bullets for his In-Door shooting exhibitions. He often used aspirin tablets as targets. The puff of white powder from the aspirin made it easier for the audience to appreciate the shot.

Have used wax & Ivory bar soap for my indoor plinking fun.

Prime the cases After pressing the case into the wax or soap and breaking it off.

Fine for use in basements or garages.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
An old shooting buddy used to take black powder and fill 45Colt cases, then top it off with the wax. Was accurate out to about 15-18'. Used to shoot the cats that would knock over his trash cans. Would light their hair on fire. Said even though it was only held in with the wax, had enough ummmph and sounded like a cannon when he fired them. I never saw him do it, just something he used to laugh about. Tracy Tracy

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
None of the above are toys and should be treated as such.
As a side note -

Even blanks are lethal. One of the lead actors from the old TV show Alias Smith and Jones, accidently killed himself by putting a pistol to his head loaded with a blank. That was almost 40 years ago and I still remember it and the example of stupid people tricks one should not do.

Tom

·
Registered
651 Posts
Jim Macklin said:
"The cases used should have the flash hole open up so the primer presure goes into the case and doesn't blow the primer out of the pocket."

I don't understand why this is necessary; primers are not commonly 'blown out of the pocket' in regular ammunition with 'standard' size flash holes.
Actually they are. The firing pin drives the case all the way forward until it is stopped by ten rim or case mouth [45 ACP], the primer fires and the pressure in the primer pocket pushes the primer cup part way out, but the much higher pressure in the case, acting on the larger diameter pushes the whole case back against the recoil shield or breech face.

·
Registered
651 Posts
An old shooting buddy used to take black powder and fill 45Colt cases, then top it off with the wax. Was accurate out to about 15-18'. Used to shoot the cats that would knock over his trash cans. Would light their hair on fire. Said even though it was only held in with the wax, had enough ummmph and sounded like a cannon when he fired them. I never saw him do it, just something he used to laugh about. Tracy Tracy
That use would be a felony animal cruelty in Kansas now. Setting cats on fire.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I like to shoot my Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt for fun and training using 1/2" long pieces of glue stick, they are the perfect size to fit in .45 Colt brass. If you want a little more umppph use a magnum primer. Great for training first time gun shooters just to get the feel of a real gun and something that can be done in the back yard.

TM

·
Registered
373 Posts
That's how we used to shoot my uncles 357 revolver in his carport. He would set the primers with a hammer and a large blade putty knife. I believe the wax was about a half inch thick, just pressed the cases directly through them(like a cookie cutter.

We would shoot paper targets attached to a bale of hay. I think we and a plywood backstop.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Anyone ever hear of doing this. My brother-in-law did this 30 plus years ago using his .357, a primered case, & case mouth pressed into a 1/2 inch thick block of parifin wax - no powder at all. He used it to shoot empty pop cans in his garage.

Tom
Yes I've done it with some 38 special cases.
I did make the flash hole larger in the cases.
Speaking of larger flash holes, I was sorting and cleaning some 45 cases and noticed that some of the factory Winchester cases had very large flash holes.
I'm not sure but it may be from their Win-Clean line of ammo.
Has anyone had any problems with the larger flash hole when reloading these cases?
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've shot a lot of these over the years in revolvers. I just didn't want to mess with it in the 1911. We always primed the cases first and then twisted the case down over the paraffin. Never had a problem. Never did anything with the primer hole and tossed the brass in the fired bucket for reloading.

One question the OP asked was about wax build up. I never had a problem with it.

All this talk has me thinking about getting out the Python and a block of wax to have some fun in the basement.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
As noted Bill Jordan was big on wax and wrote extensively in No Second Place Winner.

As noted Bill Jordan was big on wax and wrote extensively in No Second Place Winner. I suppose the parafin blocks are still around - I liked Gulfwax which was sold year round not just canning season at local Gulf Oil stations - I wonder what's available these days? Is it seasonal?

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Yes I've done it with some 38 special cases.
I did make the flash hole larger in the cases.
Speaking of larger flash holes, I was sorting and cleaning some 45 cases and noticed that some of the factory Winchester cases had very large flash holes.
I'm not sure but it may be from their Win-Clean line of ammo.
Has anyone had any problems with the larger flash hole when reloading these cases?
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Bob, I see these on a regular basis. No probs so far. I reload them just like any other 45acp brass I can find.

·
Registered
147 Posts
glue

Tom
www.ammosmith.com shows how to make glue stick ammo. Kind of cool to watch (kind of sticky too,I bet) :biglaugh:

·
Registered
148 Posts
did the glue stick in 45ACP cases, it was a hoot and they would put a real decent dent in some 1/4" plywood that was my target 10' away.

I didn't drill out the flash hole and they worked fine.

Just prime a case, shove a glue stick in until it bottoms out and cut off flush. Most 1911s will feed these from a mag without any issues.

There is an old thread I think it was on castboolits.com that had a lengthy discussion about shooting glue although they were mostly casting real glue bullits not shoving a stick of glue in a case.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts