1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just ordered the 45acp blued Wilson Combat Bulletproof Semi Extended Slide Release for my Kimber tactical custom 2 HD. It says "drop in" but as we all know that is rarely the case. I was wandering if some of you could give me some ideas as to what to look for to ensure that an after market slide release fits properly. What are the signs of an ill fitted one, beside the obvious that it will not go into the frame or barrel link?

This forum has been a blessing of a resource and many of you have helped me by sharing your knowledge and experience over the years. I want to thank you all in advance.

Noah

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
In my experience with extended slide releases, the extended area that contacts the plunger tube is where the fitting happens. But, of course, try it first and see if it even contacts the tube.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
The flat surface on the slide stop nub that latches against the slide stop cut in the slide needs to sit flush into the recess. If it is out of true, it can cause peening to the corner of the slide cut on the rail. The outline shape of the nub also needs to be shaped to fit fully into the cut.
Other concerns may show up with contact from feeding rounds which can cause unwanted slide lock and insufficient contact with the mag follower causing failure to lock.
Joe

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
With extended slide stops on a carry gun, I like the extension to hug the plunger tube, so as to prevent clothing from getting caught in there. Better to just not have an extended slide stop on a carry gun, IMO.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
With extended slide stops on a carry gun, I like the extension to hug the plunger tube, so as to prevent clothing from getting caught in there. Better to just not have an extended slide stop on a carry gun, IMO.
Truly a solution in search of a problem.
( Full length guide rods, front cocking serrations...)
Joe

·
Registered
910 Posts
Install it, run the gun, and report back. It's very possible there is nothing to be done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts