1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

So a good while ago I started exploring the idea to send off my Colt Series 70 to Wilson’s Gun Shop.

I have alway been a huge fan. I told myself if I ever get a pistol that was very affordable, I would send it in to them.

Well that day happened! I bought a Series 70 used. I got it cheep because it had issues.

So I sent it off. Here’s what they did;

1. Replaced the sights, gold bead front.
2. Ball cuts
3. Replaced the TS
4. Bobbed the factory hammer and contoured the GS
5. Beveled the magwell
6. Polished the feed ramp
7. Fitted new WC extractor and added an extra
8. Fitted new trigger
9. De horned entire pistol
10. Fitted new barrel and bushing including cut and crown and added flutes
11. Armor-Tuff entire pistol
12. Fitted mainspring WC mainspring housing
13. WC flat recoil spring kit

I asked for them to test fire it but they didn’t. My guess was that they didn’t have the ammunition for it.
It took them about 4 months to complete the work and I’ve had it for about 9 months.
I am completely satisfied with their work and craftsmanship. To me it’s a work of art!
It shoots great and I actually carry it in the North Cascades in my chest rig quite a bit!
Thanks Wilson Combat!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention that the slide was really loose! I never asked them to tighten it up but they did anyway and didn’t charge me for it!
They either felt sorry for it or it was just excellent customer service.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
The Armor Tuff finish most likely shrunk tolerances and is what ‘tightened’ it up. Strange they fit a new barrel and didn’t shoot it or if they did to not include the test target is stranger. Either way she’s a beaut now! Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Armor Tuff finish most likely shrunk tolerances and is what ‘tightened’ it up. Strange they fit a new barrel and didn’t shoot it or if they did to not include the test target is stranger. Either way she’s a beaut now! Enjoy.
Yeah I thought so to. I didn’t get a test target.

·
Registered
345 Posts
A few questions:

1. Do you have any “before“ pictures you can share?

2. Did they fit their “Bulletproof” extractor or the regular one?

3. How tight is the barrel bushing?
3b. How does this compare to how it was, prior to WC’s work?

4. Did you consider any other customer shop?

5. Can you share more on the chest rig?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well, accidentally hit post…..

Overall, it’s great looking. I like that you can tell it’s had work done, but it didn’t lose any of its roots. The de horn looks very light (or I don’t know what I don’t know). In hand, is it a big difference?

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few questions:

1. Do you have any “before“ pictures you can share?

2. Did they fit their “Bulletproof” extractor or the regular one?

3. How tight is the barrel bushing?
3b. How does this compare to how it was, prior to WC’s work?

4. Did you consider any other customer shop?

5. Can you share more on the chest rig?
The chest rig is from Diamond D leather.

I got everything Bullet Proof including the extractors.

The bushing is a perfect fit. There is zero play and I don’t need a bushing wrench to remove it.

I did consider Nighthawk but they were quoting me 8 months for the work.

The pistol feels considerably better. No sharp edges and remarkably smooth to shoot!

Sorry, I lost all the before pictures because I got a new phone.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,701 Posts
That's the kind of modifications I like and well chosen. 4 months is a very reasonable time. Congratulations and enjoy it.

I wonder what kind of groups you'll get with that new barrel and bushing.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the kind of modifications I like and well chosen. 4 months is a very reasonable time. Congratulations and enjoy it.

So I’ve shot around 400 rounds through it. All standard ball 230 grain. At 15 yards free hand I was getting around 2”. I contribute that to my sight picture because I’ve got a lot of air around the front sight and my lack of steady hand lol.
In a rest, probably 1.5” or a little less.

·
Super Moderator
15,829 Posts
Nicely done, and well thought out on the specific mods you had them do. It sounds like it is shooting as well as you are capable of testing, it would undoubtedly be better from a rest of some kind - still sounds like it shoots well. They don't overdo a dehorn job (unless requested to do so), but all hard edges are broken to be something that still looks clean and crisp but not cut you when cleaning it.

I don't remember them doing a test target on my Kimber Eclipse 10mm when I had a few things done to it 5 or 6 years ago; I take that as "an outside gun that doesn't get an accuracy test" type of thing. Maybe they just fire a mag through it to make sure it functions, I don't know, but non-Wilson guns sent in for work probably do not get the full 100+ rounds of function test they give each new gun they build, especially with the component shortage everyone has experienced in the past year and a half.

Anyway, the gun looks great! Enjoy it and shoot the snot out of it.

Reactions: Retired AF CE

·
Super Moderator
13,701 Posts
That's very nice for offhand and 15 yds. My factory barrel/bushing and loose Colt slide (repro series 70 also) was around 2.5 - 3" at that same distance.

Reactions: Retired AF CE

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, accidentally hit post…..

Overall, it’s great looking. I like that you can tell it’s had work done, but it didn’t lose any of its roots. The de horn looks very light (or I don’t know what I don’t know). In hand, is it a big difference?
I was thinking the same thing about the dehorning. However, from past experience and typical concesus, Colt leaves those edges stupid sharp. It has always bothered me that they do this. Melt treatments are interesting but some times they go too far.

However, that 1911 looks sharp and I'm sure Wilson did a great job. I've been prowling for NIB 01911C's.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got it built this way to not take away from the Series 70 style of pistol. But to refine it and build upon what Colt produced.
I use it, carry it and enjoy it. It’s my back country pistol and it works well for that purpose.

Reactions: milspec99

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I found this picture of my first range session after I got it back.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts