1911Forum banner

WC Round Butt Magwell

8K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  stellabird 
#1 ·
I need some help with the following issue...I am having a full size Tactical built with the Bulletproof One Piece Round Butt Magwell. Build sheet does NOT show Round Butt Frame, which is a WC option on their list. I'd like to know if custom wood grips built for the standard frame/magwell will fit this build with the Round Butt Magwell EXACTLY. I'd like to get the grips started while I'm waiting for the WC, and this particular gripmaker deals in tolerances of thousandths of an inch. From the rough pics on the WC site it is not that clear that they are precisely the same fit. A little help please...thank you guys.

#2 ·
I can imagine who's the gripmaker. :rofl:
"EXACTLY" is not 99.9% but 100%.
Look at these pictures:

#4 ·
Neither a borrower nor a lender be...

The above being said, the ideal solution would be finding a WC forum member who has a spare One Piece Bulletproof Round Butt Magwell and would consider sending it to Challis in Sandy, Utah to use as a template. I doubt he'd hold onto it long, and I'll pay shipping both ways AND send you some very cool t shirts from Honolulu. I'll be responsible for the Magwell whatever happens. If this is a bit too much to ask, then apologies. If my dog produced hundy's rather than pooh I'd just buy one. But she doesn't...

#6 · (Edited)
I don't think that the round butt magwell will help a lot.
Look at the frame. Do you see the angle they made for the round butt? He will have to cut the grip there and follow the beveled edge.

But one thing puzzles me: you wrote that your 1911 has a round butt one-piece magwell and a standard frame!?

#7 ·
True. But no RB option billed on my build sheet. Plus WC told Challis the RB Magwell fits a stadard frame with no problem. He called earlier today. Any chance the WC rep who cruises this forum will weigh in? I promise that I'm the least knowledgable on here re this matter.

#14 ·
...WC told Challis the RB Magwell fits a stadard frame with no problem...
The above is accurate, but misleading. I was told that the round-butt magwell will fit into a standard frame. I was trying to determine if i could get a round-butt magwell and put it on my standard frame for purposes of fitting the grips.

From looking at the pics of the mounted round-butt magwell, it is clear the frame is altered so that it doesn't protrude beyond the magwell.

In summary, the round-butt magwell will fit into a standard frame, but such a combination would never be used for a finished gun.

#10 ·
Or maybe because a round butt magwell just implies the round butted frame, they don't explicitly write it.

#16 ·
There are probably some folks out there who are questioning my competence, given that I don't know how to make a set of grips that will fit the Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Round-Butt Magwell. It is a legitimate question...

The simple truth is that I have not previously been asked to fit a set of grips to the WC Round-Butt Magwell. Though I have been assured that the profile adjoining the grip is exactly the same as Wilson's Bullet Proof Magwell, I am unwilling to rely on the assurance. "Exactly" means different things to different people. I don't base my work on someones assurance or opinion. I base it on facts which I have verified to my personal satisfaction.

A man needn't apologize for what he has not yet learned. To pretend he knows something that he really doesn't...that does require an apology.

#21 ·
I may be missing the boat here and I am certainly no grip maker or engineer, but here is a pic of my Professional (full size framed WC) with round butt one piece bulletproof mag well. It has standard grips on it. Also, any of my standard flat bottom grips including my ivories fit fine. Perfect? I'm not sure but WC does not make a special grip for these round butt fitted guns, I do know that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.