1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I'm considering upgrading my 870 tactical/magpul-trim, to a WC scatter gun...Why? Why not ;-), they have nice packages and money is not an object for me, and I can't possibly use another 1911 anyway :). Additionally, my neighbor who is an X-Leo and my go to for outgoing gun sales is looking for a "low-end" 870 in "tactical" so I'd be helping him out too (as they are no where to be found). I always give him a great price on the guns I sell him...I'm still going to buy a Benelle M4 when they become available but that may not happen till 2021 (or later - who knows). Either way, I don't mind having both a semi and a pump...

So I chatted a little with our Friend, Plantar and really like his CQB-SG.
https://www.wilsoncombat.com/cqb-shotgun/

But I also like the Standard.
https://www.wilsoncombat.com/standard/

So appreciate input from SG enthusiasts on these two models and if you own either, what you especially like about them and if there is anything you don't like about them. I'm not sure they are different outside the trim-options, but your comments will help in the decision.

Neither are in stock - no surprise - does anyone know the current build time for scatter guns?

Thanks,
C.A.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Besides the obvious pistol grip and adjustable butt stock, the only difference i see is the front sight. The CQB has a green fiber optic and the standard has a tritium night sight. I see the Green fiber optic better than the tritium Even on my pistols. I also like the pistol grip for its similarity to my ARs and even my Precision rifles. The action is smooth as silk and the trigger is nicer also than my factory 870. I really like the adjustable stock. Collapsed, the gun is pretty compact package.

I think you know my answer, CQB. But you have to decide for yourself what feels better.

Here’s a few pics to help your decision making...:)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
CA - for many years I used a standard police-surplus Mossberg 500 with 18.5" cylinder bore barrel for everything from SD to duck hunting to skeet shooting - shotties work great if you use them within their intended range. If I had my choice today, I would go with a Wilson modified 870 pump in a heart beat.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
CA, I have a super-early Scattergun Technologies Mossberg 500, before Wilson bought them. And, I have a Nighthawk 870, very similar to Wilson's full featured, standard gun. I love the Nighthawk 870 and I'm sure you'll love the Wilson standard 870. It's lighter than a Benelli M4. About the same weight as a Benelli M1 or M2. It's a tremendous close range combat weapon. You'll be very happy.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I don't have either Wilson SG, but have a Benelli Supernova Tactical with pistol grip and telescopic stock.

My Benelli is configured similarly the the WC CQB Shotgun. I really appreciate that I'm able to adjust the stock to my preferred length. I also prefer the pistol grip as I just seem to get control and grip.

I'd choose the Wilson CQB Shotgun over the standard WC shotgun based on my preferences.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
In not really a shotgun guy, I have guns for every sport though but no tactical ones with my closest model being a 3-gun M2 and a Saiga-12 open class gun. I have a very strong preference for a semi auto for multi-target/SD uses since it's less prone to have a malfunction (you would be amazed when under just a timer how many people mess up a pump gun) and way easier to use vs multiple targets.

However I'm certain Wilson will make the nicest pump gun out there that will set he standard that everything else must measure up to. I have a old M1 121 as a house shotgun residing in the sitting room/tea room behind the curtains as my only tactical gun, nothing like 8 slugs in 2 seconds

·
Premium Member
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments everyone...I'll have to think about it a little, I like the traditional look but that telescopic stock is a big plus.

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
In not really a shotgun guy, I have guns for every sport though but no tactical ones with my closest model being a 3-gun M2 and a Saiga-12 open class gun. I have a very strong preference for a semi auto for multi-target/SD uses since it's less prone to have a malfunction (you would be amazed when under just a timer how many people mess up a pump gun) and way easier to use vs multiple targets.

However I'm certain Wilson will make the nicest pump gun out there that will set he standard that everything else must measure up to. I have a old M1 121 as a house shotgun residing in the sitting room/tea room behind the curtains as my only tactical gun, nothing like 8 slugs in 2 seconds
In my experience, I'll take a pump over anything else any day of the week.

·
Registered
29 Posts

The old 121 is pretty tough to beat! Mine lives behind my office door!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I was chatting with Plantar yesterday about this as we are both afflicted by NJ waco-gun laws...The 2 long arms I would get if I could (but can't in NJ) for HD are:

The Professional model with the 14" barrel:
https://www.wilsoncombat.com/professional-2/

And the WC SBR Tactical in 5.56:
https://www.wilsoncombat.com/sbr-tactical/

The Pro model gives you a little more maneuverability in SG and the SBR does the same in the AR platform. I am not a big fan of AR-pistols which shoot pistol calibers as if I am going to go to a 2 handed AR-type weapon I want a caliber that will punch through a vest.

·
Premium Member
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here is another option, looks like in the custom SG order form, you can get a CQB SG for 1200$ if they use your 870 as a base. That is what I think it means anyway...So you save about $500 over ordering from scratch. That is a really-great deal if your 870 is old and has a ton of rounds on it...Mine is low round count, and has some add ons like the ghost ring and white bead sights, magpal stock and pump handle, and door-breaching choke (oh yea, I might use that one day ;-)), so it would be a tougher decision.

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/shotgun-customization/

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I had a WC Border Patrol shotgun and loved it. One of the smoothest 870s I ever owned. Had to sell it to fund a divorce. Someday it will get replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts