1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16" .458 Recon Tactical billet upper that will be mated to my billet Super Sniper for hog hunting. Using the Wilson 300 gr Barnes TTSX rounds, could you tell me about where the round will be at 100 yards if I zero at 25 yards? In wanting a 100 yard zero, but only have quick access to a 25 yard range. Obviously actually zeroing at 100 would be best, but I'm just looking to get as close as I can right now.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Should get you close. FYI- you'd be best to zero 1" high at 50yds. Gives you optimum MPBR

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439320781.791382.jpg

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Thanks! What program is that? Where would I need to be at 25 yards t be 1" high at 50?

I just ran the #'s, zeroing @ 25yds will get you close enough. 1/10th off.

The program is Ballistic AE, it's a great app for your cell phone if your into long range shooting.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
458's are not long range guns, but I would recommend confirming your drops at the max distance you would plan on shooting.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And that's why I was looking for a 100 yard zero for the .458. I figure anything beyond that, I'll plan to use my GA Precision Thunder Ranch .308 for hunting. And if just target shooting, I'd use the GA Precision or Les Baer .308 if I needed to shoot further than the Wilson Super Sniper.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
And that's why I was looking for a 100 yard zero for the .458. I figure anything beyond that, I'll plan to use my GA Precision Thunder Ranch .308 for hunting. And if just target shooting, I'd use the GA Precision or Les Baer .308 if I needed to shoot further than the Wilson Super Sniper.

Awesome! You'll be good on hogs/deer out to 150 with a shoulder shot.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Man, not only do you have nice 1911's, but your rifle collection sounds pretty sweet! :rock:

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man, not only do you have nice 1911's, but your rifle collection sounds pretty sweet! :rock:
Thanks! I'm not much of a rifle shooter, but I do enjoy it quite a bit. I just don't have the opportunity to do it much. I'd like to change that, though. I moved to a different part of the state several months ago, so I need to find a new place to go to have some fun. I did manage to find some places to hunt, so I'll at least be able to get into that more again. :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Thanks! I'm not much of a rifle shooter, but I do enjoy it quite a bit. I just don't have the opportunity to do it much. I'd like to change that, though. I moved to a different part of the state several months ago, so I need to find a new place to go to have some fun. I did manage to find some places to hunt, so I'll at least be able to get into that more again. :)

I have it on good authority WC is going to come out with a 6.5 creedmoor. I think you would really enjoy adding one of them to your stable. IMHO they are head and shoulders above a 308.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have it on good authority WC is going to come out with a 6.5 creedmoor. I think you would really enjoy adding one of them to your stable. IMHO they are head and shoulders above a 308.
Hmmm.... I don't really know much about that round. I was thinking a 6.8 SPC and/or a .300 BLK might be in my future. Guess now I'll start looking into the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Once my Supergrade arrives, I believe my 1911 collection will be finished. At least for the time being, because nothing else has caught my eye to the point of just having to have it. So I'm going to need another "thing". Maybe ARs will become that "thing". Although I have to say that I don't get the same amount of pleasure out of an AR as I do a 1911. The fitting and craftsmanship of an AR just aren't quite on the same level as a 1911. But still, I need a "thing", or I'll get too bored. Oh, and I have a couple slots open in the safe for more uppers or carbines (rifle side is full) :biglaugh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts