1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
He thought he was WD-40 savvy and knew all the tricks until he went fishing with his uncle recently.

"He pulls out some WD-40 and puts it on the fishing lure," Robert says. "He said it attracts fish. I'd never heard of that one. But, sure enough, it worked."
That's just crazy. But I might just be crazy enough to try it. I mean, everyone wants to catch more fish, right? :p

esheato...

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Better firearm goo exists now, but I do remember that Hallock's .45 Handbook recommended "squirting WD-40 into the cracks" of the reassembled frame after cleaning your pistol.

This was back in the '80s, apparently before anybody noticed that the stuff could deactivate primers.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I've heard that WD 40 is 85% kerosene. When the kerosene evaporates, the metal is not well protected. I ruined a set of twist drills by spraying them with WD 40. Their edges were ruined by rust.

Yeah, wd 40 will deactivate primers, big time!:eek:

·
Registered
73 Posts
i use wd 40 an everything Including my guns and i love it i have a can always near by and my guns love it. keep's them shiney. and rust free...

·
Registered
497 Posts
my uncle was a seabee in vietnam and said they all ditched the issue oil in favor of the case of wd 40 his father sent him. i don't use it on my guns though i use rem oil.

·
Registered
956 Posts
FP-10.

Yes, spraying WD-40 on a lure will attract fish.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Difranco said:
FP-10.

Yes, spraying WD-40 on a lure will attract fish.
It DOES NOT work well as bug spray. Don't ask, we were desperate!

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Yeah, WD40 was the CLP of it's day. Everyone recommended it and used it, same hype as CLP gets now.. I wonder what will the next magic, do-everything lube.

·
Registered
91 Posts
WD

Makes a better cleaning solvent than a lubricant, so if used in a pinch for powder residue cleaning, need to remember that the surfaces that need oil - still need oil!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Product change?

Perhaps WD-40 has changed in the years, or that sold here in Italy maybe different from american WD-40.
Many years ago I tried WD-40 obtained in U.S.A. (when it was near unknown in Italy) and I was disappointed with its antirust properties. Then I re-tested only a few years ago a small sample obtained, if I well remember but I'm not really sure, here in Italy (now it's easy to find WD here), and it was much better (altough non excellent), abd a good cleaner too.
Regards, MAXM

·
Registered
623 Posts
i coated an old 12gauge side by side (18.5"barrels:D ) with a heavy coat of wd-40. i sprayed it on until it was just running down and off the barrells. it stayed in the closet for about 6 months or maybe a little longer, before i pulled old betsy out to give her a goin over.... well she was covered with patches of deep rust. it has gone beyond just the surface, and has actually pitted the metal fairly deeply. well it sure looks crappy now.....
the barrels are still smooth, so it will still be on duty for home defense if necessary. i'm gonna try to clean it up a bit somehow. but for now, it is one scary looking rig. 18 inch side by side with some rust showing.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
In 1971 when I was in law enforcement a warning was circulated about a police officer whose weapon would not fire when he was being attacked by a knife wielding criminal. The failure of the rounds to fire was attributed to WD40 deactivating the primers.

WD40 is a fine degreaser and stain remover. It is a poor lubricant (goes away to fast) but not a bad penetrant. I always have a can around but it never, never will get near my firearms.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
It's a safer "flush" than Brakleen or similar products. In a pinch it makes a pretty good hand cleaner too.

·
Registered
673 Posts
WD 40 is fine to pull water off and out of you gun. I would not depend on it for lubrication or long-term storage. WD40 if left around water will absorb the water and turn into what looks like a dissolved rubber band. Use oil for lube not WD40.

About WD40 deactivating primers and ammo.
A buddy wanted to deactivate primed cases. So he soaked them in WD40. We tested them and yes the primers didn't work. Fast forward 2-3 weeks the primers were in a can after being pulled out of the brass and there were about 5 cases that have not had the primer removed. Tried them and the primer went off on all 5 of them. My conclusion is WD40 will deactivate primers when they are wet but from then on they are intermittent. I would depend on them working or not working.
Ed

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.