1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

a couple year ago i bought a Gold Cup S70, on my demand the blueing on the gun was redone. Now, about 3 years later, the blueing starts to wear at the front of the grip, but the rest of the gun is still fine. Is there some kind of DIY sollution to work away these sings of wear without having the gun redone.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
You can use a cold blue to touch up those worn spots.

Some "watch-outs":
Cold blue WILL NOT match the original hot salts bluing.

Cold blue is NOT very durable, and wears off quickly.

Cold blue tends to turn brown.

Cold blues will often leave a permanent "stain" in the surrounding original blue. This looks like a off-colored blotch in the original blue.

Cold blue is intended ONLY for touch ups of small worn spots or scratches.
If you try to blue a large area, what you usually get is a thin, smoky, streaked blue-gray color.

With the above cautions, cold blue will color worn spots and make them less noticeable.
Good cold blues are Brownell's 44-40 and Oxpho-Blue:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/catsearch.aspx?c=738&p=4798

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just feel that my gun is loosing its colour pretty soon.
On all the pics here on the forum i've seen there are relatively little wear marks.
Mabey the refinishing job isn't of good quality, but as i have very little experience with bued guns, i was wondering what your toughts are.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Blue wear

Blue is not a very durable finish, to either holster wear of handling wear. The previous post about cold or touch-up bluing is right on point, also.

You need to either:
1- Stop handling or shooting the gun;
2- Accept the fact that if it bothers you, you will need to pick a better finish, like hard chrome (if a silver finish doesn't bother you) or Melonite (for a black finish; or
3- Just live with it.

There are a lot of threads here on various finishes. A lot of reading.

Sorry, but that it just the way it is.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
As above, the ONLY way to prevent bluing wear, or for that matter, ANY type of gun finish wear, is to coat it with wax or lube, and seal it in an air tight case, never to be opened.

There is NO gun finish that won't show wear and use marks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts