1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only reason I come to the Gunsmith Talk is to envy everyones knowledge. I want some of it! Not that I'm going to take on a project like a custom 1911 (yea, right!)I just want to see diagrams of making proper sear angles, setting trigger pulls, Fitting a barrel to a slide, fitting a beavertail. My last hobby was building and flying R/C airplanes. I had to build it before flying it. I have a hard time telling myself," Just clean it, just clean it" So I'm kind of a "tinkerer" when it comes to my guns. But as Clint Eastwood once said, "A man's got to know his limitations", and I know mine. And I know when not to touch anything. Hell, I live by this motto. EX: I bought a used .380 govt. model someone butchered trying to do a trigger job. I just replaced the sear and hammer, but they're not smooth. But I don't dare touch them, I know my limitations, and I want to expand them. I've yet to detail strip my XSE, but now that I've stripped my .380 and fitted a SM&A trigger,(and did a damn good job, I might add) I might be ready to take on a detail strip on the 1911. Can anyone recommend any good web sites that cover the 1911 tricks, or even a really good book? The book is a must have, even over the web site.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Go to this site's homepage, and click on "links". There are quite a few good websites listed.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Byron gave you some excellent advice. Buy Kunhausan's Shop Manual. I wouldn't recommend getting the second book as yet because it may just discourage you....lots of numbers and stuff. The Shop Manual will take you from zero knowledge to as far as you want to go. If these books existed when I was in 'smith school in 1949 it would have been easier....and I believe, better.
No one knows it all and Jerry has gathered information from many sources to come up with the best 1911 books on the market, IMHO.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You may want to consider gunsmithing videos. There is a lot to be said for actually seeing an expert do it. I have the American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) set and I recommend them. I have also heard good things about the Wilson gunsmithing videos. The videos also show you the various gunsmithing tools you may need or want to get (this can get expensive).

First, you should get the Kuhnhausen volume I.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts