1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am looking for an old British revolver. When were the last revolvers made and imported? Also, is the process for checking out a used revolver different for a top-break Webley? Are there any issues to watch out for that differ from, lets say, a Colt Official Police? Thanks!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just got a Webley MKIV and an Enfield DA only. I have the luxury of having very knowledgable collectors in my local social network, one of which owns his own shop. He knows ev-ery-thang about old(er) guns, and if he doesn't know I have someone else on the list who does.

When I was inspecting them I treated it the same as an old Colt DA. The only thing to look out for is the ejection mechanism. When you open it up it ejects the spent casings all by itself :eek:

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
The .455 Webley service revolver was standard in six marks from about 1885 til 1928. The British army then adopted the Enfield .38 revolver which looks a lot like a Webley and accepted the Webley Mk IV .38 as secondary standard in 1942 to meet WW II demands. The .38s were obsoleted in 1963 but Webley & Scott kept them in production for another 20 years. The last 250 produced were marked as such, cased, and sold at a premium in the 1980s. One is on GunsAmerica for $995 but a regular service model of either calibre will cost less.

The main thing to watch out for is the many surplus .455s converted to .45 ACP to be loaded in half moon clips by gullible colonials (us). The .455 was originally a black powder cartridge updated to smokeless kind of like our .45 Colt, and chamber pressures are low. Standard .45 ACP is equal to a .455 proof test load. Best to load them well down for the conversions.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Good lookin out Mr. Watson. The 455 converts to 45acp can be sketchy if you actually want to shoot it. Take your time and find one in the 38-200 otherwise known as 38 S&W or a 455 that has not been converted. Also, keep a look out on the serial serial numbers, a lot have mismatched frame, cylinder, barrels. Be patient, you'll find a nice one. Good luck.

·
Registered
24,378 Posts
I have a couple of Colt New Service revolvers.

They are chambered in .455 Webley. This is a very pleasant round to shoot. However if you plan on shooting it a lot you will most likely want to roll your own as it is somewhat hard to come by. Fiochi makes it, and Midway and Buffalo Arms sell it when they have it.

Good luck. :rock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts