1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kimber Pro Carry Stainless with an alloy frame, it weighs 28 oz.
I've been thinking of trading it for a Pro Carry HD, the 35oz stainless.

Would the recoil be significantly less with the heavier .45?
Is there a risk of the alloy wearing out, cracking, etc.? Some people have said they worry about alloy pistols.
I have on occassion thought about a tungsten guide rod, but never bought one.

Thanks so much for the advice.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The tungsten rods do reduce muzzle flip to some degree, but I've only tried them in full size guns. I doubt that they would matter much in a shorter version. They break more often than the steel ones so don't go there on a carry piece.

7 oz will make some difference in the two guns you mentioned, but not much. I've shot both the aluminum frame and all steel frame gun in that size. The amluminum framed guns runs forever without problems. I've never seen a Kimber alloy gun crack.

Federal makes Hydro shocks in light loadings if it really bothers you. A set of large rubber grips can also reduce felt recoil some..... If you have the cash, you could always have it ported (although this is less effective on a .45 than a higher pressure round)

I guess we really need to know what your intentions are with the gun to make specific recommendations.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, the Pro Carry is not the usual carry gun. The weight makes it great for carry. I think I'm more concerned about they alloy. A gunsmith said that alloy doesn't give with pressure and might crack at some point.

I really don't know about this.
I do not shoot +P's in it, mostly 230gr. round nose standard velocity for the range and 185gr or 230gr Gold Dots for carry.

Is the consensus that alloy's durability is as good as stainless?
Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
The frame isn't going to fail you. I have two friends with the alloy frames and they have thousands through them without problem.

If it would crack, it'll keep on shooting.

If it cracks, Kimber will replace it, for free, forever.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

I think you just made my decision.
I did not know there was a lifetime replacement.
Merry Christmas

Now, I can wait for a reasonably priced compact 1911 in 9mm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts