1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

Well I took a SIG friend to the range last night and we brought just the Raptor II. It has about 600 rounds of mostly WWB & Blazer Brass with one FTF possibly from a limp wrist which was also in the first 50 rounds of the life of the gun. A few weekends ago I picked up an Ed Brown GI Guide Rod and SS Plug. Other than that the gun has not been tinkered with.

Within the first 100 rounds of WWB we were switching off shooting 5 round magazines. Recently I have switched over to left handed due to cross eye dominance and I do not feel quite comfortable yet. I experienced 3 FTF all on the last round. Could be from limp wristing as the slide looked almost completely closed and just needed a little nudge to finish the job. My friend did not have a single FTF the whole night and neither did I after the WWB.

Now to the weird malfuntion...my friend was shooting and took the magazine out thinking the gun was empty. He realized their was still a chamered round so he shoot it down range without the magazine. I came up to the station and the gun was in full battery with the magazine laying next to it. I put the magazine in and pulled the slide back locking it back w/ the empty mag. I then loaded up the magazine and reinserted it dropping the slide lock. Pulled the trigger on the first round and felt nothing. Looked at the gun and realized the hammer was down although I never felt it fall. Pulled the slide back and a live round fell to the floor. Bewildered, I emptied the gun to see if possibly the hammer had fallen on a DUD round. While dry firing I could still feel the hammer fall and hear it a bit through my ear protection. Therefore, I'm convinced that somehow the hammer was down with the round chambered. Next, I picked up the live round from the ground to make sure it was in fact live and sure enough it fired down range. How could this have happened?

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Hammer may have followed the slide forward. Does not sound as though that is real repeatable on your gun, so it may have been an "indadvertent" trigger - bump. You may want to watch and see what makes this happen. If nothing does, you will need some adjustment.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
You're trying to shoot with the "wrong" hand, and there's two of you flailing away on that gun. Don't read too much in to the "malfunctions" quite yet. Write it off as operator error.

It's also possible to still shoot with your "correct" hand, just sight with your "other" eye. My Son learned to do this when he was young, and can really rip it up at a Match.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RdB said:
You're trying to shoot with the "wrong" hand, and there's two of you flailing away on that gun. Don't read too much in to the "malfunctions" quite yet. Write it off as operator error.

It's also possible to still shoot with your "correct" hand, just sight with your "other" eye. My Son learned to do this when he was young, and can really rip it up at a Match.

I am shooting way more accurate with my left hand then I was with my right. I tried shooting right handed until an instructor told em to convert over. I am ambidextrous as I write with my left hand but do everything else pretty much with my right.

Dont try to blame it on operator error other than maybe the FTF from limp wristing. The weird malfunction had nothign to do with the operator.

The gun was in slide lock I loaded a magazine and dropped the slide and the somehow the hammer didnt remain back.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
How many rounds had you fired before the hammer followed the slide down?

Using WWB, I have had the gun so dirty in 150 rounds that I took it down and cleaned it at the range (I usually do that at home). If you were over about 300 I'd easily believe that it was from a dirty hammer/sear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts