1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got some checkered Hogue walnut grips for my Norinco, and as soon as I opened the package I noticed a VERY strong odor. I assumed it was the natural smell of the wood after it had been worked, and figured it would dissipate over the next week or two.

Well that was a few months ago, and the smell is just as strong as when I bought them. If I grasp the gun, it leaves my hands smelling funny. The scent fills the room if I open the safe. It's a cloying, musky smell and it's driving me crazy.

How can I fix this? I tried gun oil, CLP, pledge, etc. No luck.

This is the gun with the grips installed. I think they're very handsome and pretty inexpensive. I got the gun used, so the idiot scratches were there before I got to it. I'm not sure if I want to touch them up or leave them.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Black walnut can be odoriferous but in all likelihood it is a finish or preservative that makes the grips stink. It would your easiest and, perhaps least costly, if time is a cost, is to simply get another set. Denatured spirits or another alcohol based stripper might remove the odor but then the grips would require re-finishing and no guarantee that this would work.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Oh, no. You got stink-palmed by Hogue!

The grips do look really good; nice and dark. Wonder if it would help, if you were to put them outside, in the sunlight, for a couple of days.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Try Febreze!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Just kidding, check with Hogue to see what they might recommend!!!:rock:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've seen some of the old guys using spent casings as ear plugs. I bet they'd work just fine at blocking that smell too if you just repositioned 'em a bit. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts