1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had been going to this one gun store because they have awesome prices and are super nice. I saw a Benelli Super Nova Tactical, ghost ring sights, pistol grip that I really liked. It was used for about $248 but when I looked at it it was in such great shape I thought it was brand new. Well, I go into buy it yesterday and they raised the price up to $389. I then asked about purchasing the same gun but new. With my LE/Military discount the gun would come out to $340. :confused: Now my biggest question is, why would you sell a used gun for more than what a new one can be had. The used gun I looked at was bone stock and was in great condition. When the guy helping me realized how silly buying a new one for less than a used gun was he was going to check on it again. I thought he was going to cut me a deal on it but he just told me I would be better off ordering a new one. Any gun store owners out there know something I don't?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Sir, a lot of used guns at shops are on consignment--that is, they still belong to the individual owner rather than the gun shop, and the owner can price it however he wants. Ridiculous prices are not unusual. [shrug]

Hope this helps, and Semper Fi.

Ron H.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I see this all the time with a local chain. The seller wants 80% of new for his gun, the shop wants 20% to sell it. 20% of 80% is 16% so the gun is put on the shelf for ~95% of new.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it might have been on consignment. Though I thought they labeled them as such at this place. Oh well.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I guess it might have been on consignment. Though I thought they labeled them as such at this place. Oh well.
Used guns and new guns are labelled differently (by tag color) at our local range shop although a person usually has to ask about a specific used gun to see if it is on consignment or not? Just the way that shop handles it.

Good luck to you. :rock:

·
Registered
778 Posts
You'll love the Nova Tactical, I know I shure like mine. It shoots slugs and buck to the same poa my Beratta 1201 fp wouldnt, recoil is a bit stout but manageable.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty set on getting the Nova, especially being able to get a quality shotgun that shoots 3.5" shells for less than $400.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Well, I had been going to this one gun store because they have awesome prices and are super nice. I saw a Benelli...used for about $248 but when I looked at it it was in such great shape I thought it was brand new. Well, I go into buy it yesterday and they raised the price up to $389...

Let's Tuesday afternoon quarterback this one. :biglaugh:

You found a great deal and passed on it (for some reason) and when you came back some time later, the deal was gone. :bawling:

This is why it is very important to know your stuff, and know the store you are dealing with. Having a credit card and knowing when to "pull the trigger" on a deal helps to, so you can buy on the spot.

Since this was a gun store that you say was super nice, I would have probably asked if they didn't mind holding it for a day or two so I could "clear it with the wife". I wouldn't do this all the time and I would most certainly only do it when I was 99.9% sure I was going to buy it anyway, but just wanted to mull it over for a day.

If buying it on the spot or asking for it to be held for a day were not an option, it might have helped to make it a point of asking one of the sales guys for a scrap of paper and pen to write down the model, price, and serial number so you would remember it when you came back to buy. That way, when you came back to find the gun at a different price, you could have mentioned how you were in just a day or two ago and this was the exact gun you talked to "salesman X" about and asked why the price changed.

Maybe the shop had 10 of those exact guns they bought from a PD that never used them, or had a couple in the back and happened to bring out another one after the first one sold, or realized they made a mistake when they priced it and changed it after you left.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I don't care that they raised the price. But why to a price thats higher than what a brand new one can be had.
Did you ask them why they raised the price so high? They are the only ones that will be able to provide you with the answer you seek.

Gun shops do all kinds of stupid stuff that doesn't seem to make any sense.

Do you know for sure if it was the same exact gun (same serial #) they raised the price on or if it was a the same model with a different serial#?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm pretty sure its the same gun. It was in the same spot on the rack, next to a 26" Nova. I don't think the guys know why they raised it because when they looked up the price for a new one they kinda realized how ridiculous the other price was.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Marketing tactic !

There are a lot of stores that employ this sales tactic. Price a nice used gun very close to the price of a new gun. The buyers will most often used good judgement and rationalize his / her purchase.

1: Used - no warranty (usually) don't know what buba might have done to internals etc... Approximately same prices as new.

2: New - un-molested, factory warranty, looks great and roughly same price as the used gun

Buyer decision - order new gun

Wonder how many new guns this used one will sell ??

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Marketing tactic !

There are a lot of stores that employ this sales tactic. Price a nice used gun very close to the price of a new gun. The buyers will most often used good judgement and rationalize his / her purchase.

1: Used - no warranty (usually) don't know what buba might have done to internals etc... Approximately same prices as new.

2: New - un-molested, factory warranty, looks great and roughly same price as the used gun

Buyer decision - order new gun

Wonder how many new guns this used one will sell ??
You know, you might be right. In the south, Glocks are everywhere and I've not found one used Glock worth buying that wasn't within $100 of a new one. I would have bought more by now but would rather pay $50 to $100 more for a new one.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
With my LE/Military discount the gun would come out to $340. :confused: Now my biggest question is, why would you sell a used gun for more than what a new one can be had.
What was precentage for your discount? 13% would get you from $389 to $340. Sounds like the second gun was new.

Side note: I was looking at two identical new Remington 870's on the rack at my local shop. One was marked 19 dollars more than the other. When I asked why the clerk told me that they had gotten them from two different distributers. They price their guns by applying a precentage to what they paid wholesale.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Two years ago I was set on purchasing a CZ 75...my local shop had a used one for $385...not a great deal, but good enough for me to pull the trigger. I had cash in hand. Almost told them to wrap it up, but then I see (buried on the bottom shelf under other tags....) a NEW CZ 75 for $375....Being the smart man that I think I am (this is debatable), I purchase the new one. :rock:
After the transaction I asked why the new one was cheaper. Was told that they bought the used one before they could get new ones, and it had been sitting there ever since.....Why the hell wouldn't they just lower the friggin price???????

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I had a friend who bought a 'new' Kimber from Galyan's in Woodbury, MN. He needed work done to it and sent it to Kimber. Kimber sent it back and said unauthorized smith work had already been done to it and the warranty was void. IMHO his 'new' gun was a trade-in.

Moral of the story - don't buy a 'new' gun without dismantling it and ensuring that it really is 'new'.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have never had a problem buying a used gun from my local dealer, he offers a warranty on all used stuff at a price .Bought a used Browning buckmark for $299.00 and a lifetime warranty was $49.99, I pulled the trigger and got the warranty, wort it to me since the warranty can be used by mu kids after I am gone. Gunshop it G.A.T. guns in Dundee Illinois.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
You know, you might be right. In the south, Glocks are everywhere and I've not found one used Glock worth buying that wasn't within $100 of a new one. I would have bought more by now but would rather pay $50 to $100 more for a new one.
Now that's logic I just don't get. A Glock is a Glock. As long as you're looking at a clean current gen used gun for $100 less than a new in box current gen model, why not buy the used one for $100 less? That $100 works out to roughly 20% off a $500 Glock. If you have any problems, Glock will warranty both the new and used guns the same - take the savings.

If the price moves up to the $1000 mark, then I'd opt for a new gun over a $50-100 savings on a comparable used gun.

Both scenarios above assume the used guns are unmolested stock guns, fairly clean, and have comparable accessories to their new in box counterparts. I'd never buy a used gun for $50-100 less than new if it's missing $50-100 in mags or accessories that the new one would include.

Where I'm at, Glocks and most other used handguns for that matter, tend to sell used for more than you can buy them new. Figure that one out? I can't. I have only found a couple of used guns that really were a much better price than buying new.

·
Registered
951 Posts
What I have noticed is that the stores out my way carry lots of discontinued models, so they price high figuring that someone wants a discontinued model for their collection. I also look on Gunbroker, quite a few deals out there if you are willing to travel within your state and save the tax and shipping if buying from a private party. For used military stuff just to burn ammo at the range and blow stuff up with used is definately the way to go, again if at the right price. Gun shows for me are generally not too good, priced way way too high. Actually I have a home repair business as a side job and I do trade services for firearms and I have picked up a few nice items in trade over the years.

Roy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts