1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. No, I didn't get a new gun, but I realized that I had not shot a Hi Power, any Hi Power, in a couple of weeks or so. At least I didn't remember if I had. This wouldn't do or withdrawal could possibly alter my perception of the cosmos, so I went to the gun room and grabbed a fairly plain Mk III (that always seems to be near to hand), one of Eric Larsen's holsters, a mag carrier, and an extra 13-shot Mec-Gar magazine to supplement the 10-rnd job that came with that gun.

This plain old Mk III was used today. It has had the hammer bobbed and the right-side safety lever removed. The magazine disconnect was mercifully gone when I bought this pistol slightly used. It has a 4 1/2 to 5-lb trigger that breaks cleanly. The grips are Craig Spegel's black checkered delrin. It has an 18.5-lb recoil spring, a Buffertech buffer and no other alterations.

This holster by HBE and an old Bianchi magazine carrier were used with the Mk III.

Before leaving, I gathered up several boxes of "odds and ends" ammunition that had been partially fired. These included Winchester 115-gr. USA ball, Fiocchi 115-gr. FMJ as well as their 123-gr. "Combat" TC, Sellier & Bellot 115-gr. FMJ, and some Federal 115-gr. American Eagle.

At the range, I practiced some single shots from the holster, which averaged 1.39 secs/shot at 10 yards. This will be faster than some, but slower than many. It seems to be about my average for getting reasonably accurate hits. Following that were a few sets of controlled pairs, which were not timed, as well as some failure-to-stop drills. I also fired a few shots while on the move at the torso of the target.

Here is the target on which the above described shooting was done. (No, the tape is not covering misses. It was on the target before I stuck the cardboard target on it. By the way, I used some of that spray-on glue stuff and it was nice...but don't get it on your mitts; it doesn't want to come off!)

I also shot steel plates at 7 and 17 yards with the Hi Power three ways: left to right, right to left, and then every other one and back to clean up.

Some folks essentially practice only the "practical" type defensive shooting and I have no problems at all with it, but I tend not to leave the range after such a session w/o firing at least one group in precise slow-fire to remind my aging brain of the basics: sight picture, alignment, and trigger control.

This group was fired using two-hands in slow-fire at 15 yards with Fiocchi 123-gr. "Combat" ammunition. I'm not sure why it is designated "Combat," but it does group satisfactorily.

Roughly 175 rounds or so were fired and it was as relaxing as a nap for me. There were no malfunctions of any kind, with is the norm for most Hi Powers including this one.

I am reminded why I enjoy the Hi Power so much for all these years.

Best.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Power range time

Mr. Camp.........It seems that I also have a yearning to shoot my FN Hi Power to satisify a itch at times. I enjoy using the 30 round mag at the range plus mixing all kinds of ammo but it never hicups one time. The FN is my favorite and most accurate gun of the several 45's, 9mm's, 380's, and 22's that I have. Also the trigger pull is great after a little work on it thanks to your great take down guide.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Stephen A. Camp said:
Hello and thanks for the replies.

hapuna: Sorry if I missed your email. I get many each day and sure could have overlooked it. I apologize if this is the case. Please email me again.

Best.
Simply asked how to go about getting the manual. Will send you another email.:cool:

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello and thanks for the replies. I'm glad that the post was of interest. I don't know if "Mr. Tauber" could get me or not, but since he exists only in my mind and we're "friends", I'm not concerned. "Mr. Omar" might be another matter entirely, but we "get along" well.

Best.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Mr. Camp what do you think about the S&B 115 grs 9mm in the HP?

as it is the cheapest ammo available in Europe and there are a lot of HP's in Belgium, lot's of people have tried these rounds in their pistols but we all think they do not group that well, lately I shot 50 rounds of Remington UMC 115 grs and was amazed at the results at 25m, it was like another gun

I'm curious in the grouping difference with S&B and a Bar-Sto barrel

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello. My results mirror yours. In 9mm, I don't find it particularly accurate except in the occassional lot number. Most of the time it has been a mediocre performer for me. I much prefer Winchester USA, Remington UMC, Federal AE, or Fiocchi 124-gr.

Best.

·
Registered
609 Posts
tnx for the speedy reply

I do like S&B in .45 a lot though :) but in 9mm I use it only when it's got to be cheap because I'll be burning a lot of it, and accuracy is a secondary factor

·
Registered
440 Posts
I got to the range today for the first time in about a month. I brought my MKIII and my Teddy Jacobson worked MAK.

Interesting thing was a met a guy for the first time from another on-line forum and he came with 2 SIG's 2 1911's and a Beretta. He is a much better shot than I am and he said while in mid magazine "This Hi Power's a shooter!" after a few more shots -- that went in the same hole from about seven yards -- he said "This Hi Power's the most accurate gun on the table!"

He also said mine was the nicest MAK he ever fired (Thanks Teddy!)

It was my first time to shoot a SIG or a Beretta but I was thrilled to know my MkIII could keep up with the competition.

He told me later it's been waaay to long since he fired a HP.

BTW, I like both the SIG's and the Beretta and shot them pretty well too.

A good day was had by all!

ED

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.