1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reason to buy welded base metalform mags vs. removeable base ones? The price difference is just one dollar.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I ordered and received 3 metalform mags from Champions. They were $12.00 each. When I first inserted them in the gun they didn't lock the slide back. I played with them a few minutes (pushing the follower down a fraction of an inch) and tried again and they now lock the slide back normally. I haven't had a chance to fire the gun with them yet, but I think they will work well. They appear to be very good quality.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I guess it all really depends on what you're doing with the mags. I've noticed several welded mags cracking after repeated drops from speed reloads. If the base is removeable, it's replaceable and cracking isn't a problem.

Cleaning is also important. Being able to reach ever nook and cranny with a toothbrush is important for longevity, if nothing else.

I just ordered two Wilson #47D mags for my SA and can't wait to put them through their paces. I won't throw out the welded SA mags that came with the gun (they're great for CC), but the new mags should give better performance, all things considered.

Given the choice, I would always go with the removeable base pad.

------------------
When reason fails...

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Fyi:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
My bad on the first resurrect thread I tagged as the new record. This one beats the first by two months! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.