1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Nice. I hope you have every bit as much success with that as your long rifles. I got my first pistol with an RDS this year. I'm quite satisfied with it, though I do see an upgrade from the Crimson Trace to a Holosun in it's future.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I'll hazard a guess that 10 mm + long slide + RMR has never been done before. Interesting how rmr is going to hold up.

·
Registered
27,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll hazard a guess that 10 mm + long slide + RMR has never been done before. Interesting how rmr is going to hold up.
Ed Brown has been selling them for several years. I do not anticipate that the RMR will not hold up. Interestingly enough, Ed brown had actually stopped offering the LS-10 early this year. Due to lack of sales according to what they told me. However more recently they appear to have resurrected it as I got a promotional e-mail from them recently that advertised it as being available.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Ed Brown has been selling them for several years... Ed brown had actually stopped offering the LS-10 early this year. Due to lack of sales according to what they told me.
Methinks that would indicate that there hasn't been too many of them RMR'd out there to have a large enough sample. This is 10 mm coming out with a higher velocity from a 6 inch barrel so your RMR will see a little more battering than what they see on G19s, for example. People did break them on 9 mm guns, and yours truly broke an SRO on a CZ. I do think that it will likely hold, but I also think that this isn't going to be a high volume / high rate of use gun, right? At any rate, it would be an interesting data piece.

·
Registered
27,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Methinks that would indicate that there hasn't been too many of them RMR'd out there to have a large enough sample. This is 10 mm coming out with a higher velocity from a 6 inch barrel so your RMR will see a little more battering than what they see on G19s, for example. People did break them on 9 mm guns, and yours truly broke an SRO on a CZ. I do think that it will likely hold, but I also think that this isn't going to be a high volume / high rate of use gun, right? At any rate, it would be an interesting data piece.
Ed Brown products told me that they were not big sellers. Perhaps they will see more battering. But you are talking about a pretty beefy gun so that is questionable. A Glock 19 probably weighs about half of what this gun does. Not sure if I buy into this higher rate of battering of which you speak. Ed brown also stated that they have never sold a lot of them. So yes your statement regarding a sample size is correct. And equally that for a 4,500$ gun there likely are not thousands of them out there for sampling as you say.
As for a high volume, rate of use gun. If I decide that I like it and that it makes up at least in part for my declining vision with the RDS. Then yes, it is very likely to see quite a bit of use.
Additionally I might just add that I have no intention of carrying this gun for the purpose of self defense. The fact of the matter is that I am quite comfortable carrying a S&W model 67 for that purpose. If in fact the RDS on this gun ever fails. I am not likely to sweat it too much. Point of fact is that the co witnessed iron sights that it also comes with are a lot more comfortable for me to use than the RDS at this initial point of familiarization. Just sayin.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
No disagreement. Keep us posted. As you know, I am interested in all things RDS.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
If it fails because it can't handle the recoil abuse, I'm going to suggest a Holosun. If they can survive sitting atop a Mossberg 940 your pistol shouldn't be a problem.

Check here around 5:45:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
If it fails because it can't handle the recoil abuse, I'm going to suggest a Holosun. If they can survive sitting atop a Mossberg 940 your pistol shouldn't be a problem.
I dunno if it is the same. Slugs obviously recoil harder but the optic itself is stationary and non-reciprocating.
I'd go with RMR on such project.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I dunno if it is the same. Slugs obviously recoil harder but the optic itself is stationary and non-reciprocating.
Good point i suppose, there might be a disparity in force/shock between a reciprocating slide with a hard stop at the rear and a reciprocating gun with a spongy stop in someone's shoulder. And I suppose it's going to be hard to sort out beyond an educated guess which is more abusive. Crying shame Mossberg probably won't give us the down low on what they tried and how it fared when they were playing with the 940 optic cuts to say the Holosun fared best.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
FWIW, my own autoloader shotgun wears an RMR and that has held well.

·
Registered
27,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Correct, but you are still looking at a serious impact. I would venture to guess that it would be substantially higher than what the Glock 19 slide might be subject to that to that you referred to earlier.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Correct, but you are still looking at a serious impact. I would venture to guess that it would be substantially higher than what the Glock 19 slide might be subject to that to that you referred to earlier.
Yes but there are other factors. Shotties are heavier. On pistols optic is in line with recoiling part as it moves, on shotgun optic sits above the path of bolt's travel.
In recent past there has been one specific longarm with a reputation for being hard on optics, and that is a SCAR. The common explanation was a specific recoil impulse or momentum because that rifle uses a very heavy bolt carrier, even though the perceived recoil is rather mild.
I think there are too many variables to be certain about anything. I am just glad we have durable optics these days.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Just guessing you did remove the tag?

Very nice looking pistol.

I hope you enjoy the 10mm I am hoping they become more popular.

I really enjoy my 10 , but to most people here guessing I am a little strange no 45s here?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts