1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I'll hazard a guess that 10 mm + long slide + RMR has never been done before. Interesting how rmr is going to hold up.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Ed Brown has been selling them for several years... Ed brown had actually stopped offering the LS-10 early this year. Due to lack of sales according to what they told me.
Methinks that would indicate that there hasn't been too many of them RMR'd out there to have a large enough sample. This is 10 mm coming out with a higher velocity from a 6 inch barrel so your RMR will see a little more battering than what they see on G19s, for example. People did break them on 9 mm guns, and yours truly broke an SRO on a CZ. I do think that it will likely hold, but I also think that this isn't going to be a high volume / high rate of use gun, right? At any rate, it would be an interesting data piece.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
No disagreement. Keep us posted. As you know, I am interested in all things RDS.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
If it fails because it can't handle the recoil abuse, I'm going to suggest a Holosun. If they can survive sitting atop a Mossberg 940 your pistol shouldn't be a problem.
I dunno if it is the same. Slugs obviously recoil harder but the optic itself is stationary and non-reciprocating.
I'd go with RMR on such project.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
FWIW, my own autoloader shotgun wears an RMR and that has held well.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Correct, but you are still looking at a serious impact. I would venture to guess that it would be substantially higher than what the Glock 19 slide might be subject to that to that you referred to earlier.
Yes but there are other factors. Shotties are heavier. On pistols optic is in line with recoiling part as it moves, on shotgun optic sits above the path of bolt's travel.
In recent past there has been one specific longarm with a reputation for being hard on optics, and that is a SCAR. The common explanation was a specific recoil impulse or momentum because that rifle uses a very heavy bolt carrier, even though the perceived recoil is rather mild.
I think there are too many variables to be certain about anything. I am just glad we have durable optics these days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts