1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
"First buyback in Houston since 2009"

Hmmm.....what do 2009 and 2022 have in common? Probably Democratic President, House, Senate, and RECESSION!!!!
The government can be so grimy sometimes

Government: if we throw the people some crumbs for useless firearms, we will look magnanimous.

I live in The Woodlands, which is basically north Houston. Houston has gone to hell in the 11 years Ive lived here

·
Premium Member
7,513 Posts
I'd be willing to wager these "Buy Back" programs only remove a very small fraction of the guns used by criminals. They are mostly for publicity and to make the uneducated feel safe. Should a historic or valuable firearm get turned in, would you want to bet it gets chopped up or smashed? Or do they end up in one of the politicians' collections?

Grumpy

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I've always wondered about the efficacy of these so-called gun buy back programs. Supposedly they don't record or document the identity of the person selling the gun. What if they check the gun for ballistics and find it was used in an unsolved murder(s)? :unsure: Seems stupid to take a weapon off the street (that the police/city officials believe was used in crimes) and have no way to do anything about finding the criminal (murderer).

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'd be willing to wager these "Buy Back" programs only remove a very small fraction of the guns used by criminals. They are mostly for publicity and to make the uneducated feel safe. Should a historic or valuable firearm get turned in, would you want to bet it gets chopped up or smashed? Or do they end up in one of the politicians' collections?

Grumpy
If it was possibly used in an unsolved murder, I wouldn't want to be in possession of one of the buy back guns, which are usually not very desirable guns to begin with. Do they even bother checking serial numbers and running ballistics to determine if they were used in murders???

·
Premium Member
7,513 Posts
If it was possibly used in an unsolved murder, I wouldn't want to be in possession of one of the buy back guns, which are usually not very desirable guns to begin with. Do they even bother checking serial numbers and running ballistics to determine if they were used in murders???
I've read where the serial numbers, if any or if present, are recorded. Are they checked against the stolen firearms data base? Maybe, maybe not. Since a large majority of the buy-back guns are not in operating condition or are smooth bore (shotguns), ballistics would be hard to impossible to run. Plus, ammunition for many of them would not be available. They want to put on a show for the public, they don't want to put any real effort into running any tests on them.

Grumpy

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
If they ran the gun and giver, the turnout would be about 1/10 of what it is... they care about the optics of the "buyback" not the ability to solve crimes or make the citizenry safer. :mad:

A whole box of plastic toy looking guns and not 1 single question about them?!?!? Aren't the fake toy guns the cop killers?!?!

·
Premium Member
10,404 Posts

Grumpy
I'm sure not a single one was ever used or was ever going to be used in a crime.

·
Registered
28,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've always wondered about the efficacy of these so-called gun buy back programs. Supposedly they don't record or document the identity of the person selling the gun. What if they check the gun for ballistics and find it was used in an unsolved murder(s)? :unsure: Seems stupid to take a weapon off the street (that the police/city officials believe was used in crimes) and have no way to do anything about finding the criminal (murderer).
They goin to have a buy back next week.
Time to settle some scores and get rid of the guns.

·
Premium Member
7,513 Posts
If they don't check the ballistics on the guns, they are not worried about who turned it in. Gives the guys in the Cold Case Squad something to do.

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
7,513 Posts
They goin to have a buy back next week.
Time to settle some scores and get rid of the guns.
A reasonable person would think that should a criminal turn in a weapon, used in crime, so it will be destroyed, therefore getting rid of the evidence, that criminal is pretty sure he can replace that weapon with another (or they already have replaced it). Politicians don't want to acknowledge the ease of availability of weapons for criminals. Criminals are not going to follow the Law, only honest people follow the law.

Grumpy

1 - 20 of 69 Posts