1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting my first Colt, a MK IV Series 80 Government, I was very impressed with it at the range. Afterwards, I decided to pay a little visit to the local gunshop for a new Delta Elite I had my eye on for the past 6 months. It was there and I was all ready to purchase it, but in the corner of my eye, spotted a Combat Elite
I had been looking all over for one through Gunsamerica, Gunbroker, and other misc sites for one that was NIB and finally found one. Its a low double-digit serial and is all stock with box and 2 mags. Without hesitation, I ran home and got my Sigs (220 and a NIB 229) to trade for it. Call it crazy, but I just had to have it (man, I just love Colt bluing). The gun is just primo, apparently this was another one of those safe guns that had been sold to generate some fundage. Talk about my lucky day
Since I now had the gun I really wanted, I gave my Kimber Stainless Goldmatch to my brother as an early birthday present. I dont care what anyone says, im gonna shoot the hell out of it tomorrow
BTW, any of you guys have one and are pleased with it?

-bufford5

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have owned a Combat Elite for 4 years.It had terrible feeding problems.Couldn't go 1 or 2 rounds without a FTF.There was a burr on the bottom edge of the barrel causing the problem.A throat & polish fixed it.Over the years it has received a trigger job & new trigger,Brown beavertail and ambi safety,mag well,and wood grips.Soon it will be getting the rib on the slide removed, Wilson adj. sights,stippled frontstrap,and dehorned.i have put several thousand rounds through this gun and it keeps on ticking.My best friend also has one and it has been modified as well.Very nice gun.Wish I could find another one.I'm curious,does your gun have a narrow or wide trigger. My gun has a wide trigger cutout but came with a narrow trigger.It looked terrible.New trigger fixed the problem.I am almost positive the frame on my gun was destined to be a Gold Cup but it turned out to be C.E..My friends gun has the standard narrow trigger.Sorry for the long post.This is my first one and I got a little carried away.Let me know if you have any questions.They really are nice .45's.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post Shooter. Im not sure about the trigger...looks like a normal trigger to me. Can you elaborate more on narrow/wide? Havent shot it yet, but plan to sometime tomorrow. Did yours come with ambi safeties? On the black box mine came with,it says Combat Elite Custom Edition and its a low # CG000XX. This isnt a gun im gonna leave in the safe, but im wondering if anything really needs to be changed on it. The site picture is great (for me at least), the checkered logo wrap around grips have enough grip to keep the gun firmly in hand, trigger is crisp and the spur hammer makes a nice sound as I dry fire it. I probably will leave this gun stock, but my Colt MK IV SEries 80 Government is definitely going to be tricked out with almost the same work you are planning except instead of Wilson I will probably get Henies or a pair of Retro Sights that Dane has in the works w/ just as good sight picture as the Heinies. Normally I dont right real long posts but I am just estatic about my new purchase. Im glad that it has served you well over the years and I plan to do the same. Any other info that you can come up with would be glady appreciated.

·
Registered
445 Posts
HEY BUFFORD5:GUNNUTS HERE,The DELTA ELITE'S are OK,I bought one in 89 NIB for $465.00,shot high as hell,you could hold dead on at 100 yards and hit the paper,at 25 yards it was 8 to 10 inchs high!no FTF of any kind,save up your pennys,it might be there when you ready!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info Gunnuts
Id like to, but cant really afford to get another unless I sell a kidney
Hey Buzz Knox, just emailed you that phone number.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Marbo, the place is called Shoot Straight which is on 17-92/orange blossom trail. They have the Delta Elite, Colt XSE Gvt, 1991, 1991 stainless, defender, and I think 4 SAA's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For some food for thought about wide Gold Cup triggers go to the Front Sight webpage and read about the self inflicted shooting there caused by a combination of operator error, wide trigger and Kydex holster.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi bufford5.The wide trigger is as wide as the trigger guard.The standard trigger is thinner than the trigger guard.My gun came with the standard issue safety.I'm curious about your sights.I've seen C.E.'s with fixed sights.My gun has the Colt Eliasson adjustable sights.There is a groove milled into the slide that the sight sits in.The groove is parallel with the slide not perpendicular like a dovetail.The sight is held in place with a roll pin.The reason I went with the Wilson sights is thet they are the only ones I could find that offer a replacement version for the Eliasson style sights.With the cut in the slide you can't mill a dovetail.I talked with Don Williams at The Action Works and he recommended the Wilsons.I really wish my gun had fixed sights because I am A big fan of the Novak Low Mount sight.I'll check back in a day or two.I am having back surgery tomorrow (again)so I don't know for sure when I'll be on the forum.Take care and enjoy your new Colt.

Shooter Ready?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hey bufford

Congrats on the Combat Elite!

Mine was a real sweetheart of a pistol. Check out the earlier Combat Elite thread here for a little more info - if you haven't already.

I'm jealous

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just checked my Elite and it has the narrow trigger. The sights on mine are the fixed three dot sights. There have been variants of the Elite over the years of its production right? Bullmoose, thanks for the heads up. Shooter, good luck with the back surgery. JSP, judging by the tone of the post, you lost or sold an Elite in the past? As far as being a "sweetheart of a pistol", it truly is

·
Registered
802 Posts
Bufford - you were right on - don't have it anymore

My first 1911 was the Combat Elite back in the late 80's. Bought the pistol and went through some training with it. The 1911 design was so superior to other pistols and the Elite was a great performer. Unfortunately, I sent it to a local smith to get it "improved" (classic newbie mistake!). Skipping the details, it never was the same, the "highly recommended smith" vanished and I sold it.

I'd like to have a mint condition original again...but...so many guns - so little money

I don't remember if my box had Custom Edition or not - possibly that's how the early ones were labeled or it may be a special edition.

I'll post a scan of the early catalog pics if i get the chance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts