1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just loaded/fired my first lead bullets 100 from a guy at the gun show and they really sucked and 100 cold swagged hornady 230g lrn and they shot sweet but i cant get the lead out of my barrel!!!!! got it soaking in some hoppes elite bore gel and i hope that works but it just doesnt seem worth the trouble when i could just spend a little more and shoot jacketed.what are your guys experiences?

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Go get a Choir Boy or some other copper scouring pad, wrap some of it around an old bore brush, and push it through the bore. It will make short work out of removing the lead. You're wasting your time soaking it in Hoppe's.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
littlebuf;

I've shot thousands of lead rounds thru several 1911's & have never had a real problem with lead in the barrel. Do as the above posts suggest & you may be loading the wrong size bullet. I use .452 & seems to work very well.

Check with some of the other reloaders, on this forum. They may be able to give you some good suggestions.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Go get a Choir Boy or some other copper scouring pad, wrap some of it around an old bore brush, and push it through the bore. It will make short work out of removing the lead. You're wasting your time soaking it in Hoppe's.
+1

Why sit there and wait when you can spend 2-3 min with a choir boy and have a nice clean barrell

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The Outers Lead Out system works well. Takes awhile, but it gets all the lead out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Chore boy does it for me in about 5-10 passes, depending on how many rounds I shot...

DO NOT wet the barrel with cleaner before using the choreboy, its easier and less messy using choreboy DRY wrapped around a .40cal brush (its what worked for me)

I love shooting lead bullets, especially SWC, because they make such nice, clean holes :)

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
He did say in the original post

"SWAGED HORNADY 230"

There's the prob. Swaged lead. A lot softer than standard lead bullets. Tracy

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He did say in the original post

"SWAGED HORNADY 230"

There's the prob. Swaged lead. A lot softer than standard lead bullets. Tracy
i said cold swagged there not "supposed" to lead your barrel the others were "hard" cast.dosnt seem to matter they both made a mess of my bore:mad:

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Poor baby. :biglaugh:

Get it all cleaned up and put in the safe. It'll stay clean.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Come on guys, we are not here to mock but to help. Sounds like you got good advice on how to remove it, now lets see if we can prevent it. What powder and how much? What gun?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
AVOID SWAGED BULLETS. THEY ARE MUCH SOFTER THAN HARD CAST BULLETS AND CAN CAUSE SEVERE LEADING. Lead bullets can be fired from pistols and revolvers at 1000+ fps with excellent accuracy AND without leading or other problems IF you use hard cast bullets, good bullet lube (I like ALOX), correctly sized, and fired through a barrel THOROUGHLY CLEANED since firing jacketed bullets. Failure to do any of these things and you may encounter severe leading and horrible accuracy. I have fired such hard cast lead bullets lubed with ALOX lube thru .357 Mag, .45 ACP, and .44 Mag pistols and revolvers at velocities up to 1425 fps (thru Oehler chrono) since 1964 with great accuracy and no leading problems. Lead bullets can however be a little more persnickety than jacketed bullets to find a good accurate load.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

·
Administrator
13,321 Posts
Poor baby. :biglaugh:

Get it all cleaned up and put in the safe. It'll stay clean.
That's a helpful response to a new reloader . Thanks .

I usually avoid the swaged bullets as well . If you can inspect the bullets before buying , try and score/scratch the bullet with your thumbnail . If it moves the lead , they're too soft . That "test" has always worked for me . We have a local caster that we buy bullets from . Always cleanly lubed and hard enough to leave little residue .

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
:) Swaged bullets are guaranteed to lead. Use hard cast. Also Brownells sells a lead removing cleaning rod. Uses a brass patch, one or two passes and the barrel is squeaky clean. I can clean a 1911 in about 10 minutes using this method. Cast bullets are more accurate and as said above, SWC make nice clean holes. I cast Lyman SWC using linotype lead, supposed to be 200 grain, but using the extra hard linotyple lead makes them weigh 185. I load 4.5 grains of bullseye behind them. Very accurate, no recoil, and not much leading.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
to the rest of you that actually want to help, the load is 5.1 grains of red dot at 1.25 oal shot through a impeccably and my wife would say obsessively clean Springfield armory TRP. the rounds were accurate and the hornadys fed well,the local casters bullets were crap and 35% did not chamber, crimp is .469 and both bullets were loaded the same.the chore boy worked but it just doesnt seem worth the trouble,maybe you guys could suggest a better load and ill try it again,i am outa powder:)

i was writing this the same time you were sand hills thanks for the advice

·
Registered
861 Posts
The Chore Boy wrapped around an old worn out brush works. Give it a try. Use it dry as another respondent said.

Ask around at local sporting goods or gun stores to determine if there is someone in your area/region who casts bullets. You'll still get some leading from cast bullets but not what you will get with swaged bullets.

My old Speer #13 manual has some loads for swaged bullets, but as I recall, they recommend that you load them lighter than a cast bullet to avoid leading.

Welcome to the club... we've all been there... how do you think we know all about the virtues of Chore Boy?:D

·
Registered
613 Posts
Come on guys, we are not here to mock but to help. Sounds like you got good advice on how to remove it, now lets see if we can prevent it. What powder and how much? What gun?
shoot some JHP or even FMJ bullets after shooting the lead ones and it will usually shoot the lead out.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
maybe you guys could suggest a better load and ill try it again,i am outa powder:)

My 1911's like 230 LRN over 4.6 of Hodgdon TiteGroup. I used to use a lot of Unique, but I'm likeing TiteGroup a whole lot....

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.