1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I find it hard to believe this gun which is 99% pristine condition and beautifully refinished and cared for was dropped on EACH side/corner of the novak sights. Furthermore, there is evidence on this gun that the owner cared to round some sharp edges on the beaver tail BEFORE refinishing so that it would be a nice solid color:

Can these little silver spots on the sights be touched up with a blue pen?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do I have to mask the sights off so that I don't get any on the finish? never done it before? or does it only adhere to bare steel and I don't have to worry about it?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I know it seems obvious, but I've never blued or blackened anything before so who knows if there is something one should know about the different products and their effects out there. Maybe someone did the obvious here but had poor or unexpected results. Who knows. Just hoping to be educated here.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
No doubt you could benefit from reading the back posts of this forum.

Start at the beginning (2001) and work forward.
We constantly get new people wanting to know where to get a comprehensive source for the Hi Power. Well, it's right here for anybody to read, but very few really have the actual determination to study what's been posted.

Take some time to do some study, then ask informed questions if you have any that are unanswered.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
certainly I have read past threads and certainly I will continue to due so, but part of the fun of this hobby, particularly the BHP, is interacting with other fans and being a part of old/new conversations.

Plus, not everyone out there has time to filter through 15 years of threads, so in my opinion, if they can browse threads recently and learn something, it can't hurt. Otherwise we should all just print out the late great Stephen Camps amazing website/book and never post at all, but where's the fun in that?

·
Premium Member
15,354 Posts
A small bottle of cold blue will come in handy around guns. Just dampen a Q-Tip with it and rub on the bare spot - it'll turn black. Gun blue is predominately black, especially the cold-applied touch-up products. Your sight appears to have the typical 'phosphate'-type finish which is actually gray, but you'll find that blacking those corners won't 'stick out' near as much as they do now.

·
Banned
269 Posts
certainly I have read past threads and certainly I will continue to due so, but part of the fun of this hobby, particularly the BHP, is interacting with other fans and being a part of old/new conversations.
Plus, not everyone out there has time to filter through 15 years of threads, so in my opinion, if they can browse threads recently and learn something, it can't hurt. Otherwise we should all just print out the late great Stephen Camps amazing website/book and never post at all, but where's the fun in that?
"Were my novak sights dropped on?"

Seriously??? Poor English skills aside, HOW the hell is anybody here going to know if somebody dropped your pistol? And you don't know how to fix that? What color?
REALLY???

This is my vote for the worst thread ever. Your repeated silly questions remind me of that party we've all been to - the one where somebody brings their obnoxious kid to an adult gathering and the kid interrupts every single conversation and won't shut up.

When someone suggests that you should read the forum's back posts, that's a nice way of assisting the new member to up their game, get up to speed, increase their knowledge base, all in order that they may thereafter engage in intelligent discourse with the rest of the group.
You say that you've done this, but despite being a member since 2013, the tone and content of your posts tells us otherwise.

[THINK before you post something. You incessant juvenile questions are dragging the intelligence quotient level of this forum into the sewer.
Your queries and comments are so devoid of rational thought that I'm beginning to think that you are a troll.

READ more, POST less. Strive for content, not quantity. You're constant attention seeking is making you look really, really bad.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Guns get banged up if you use them.

In this case the previous owner made some minor alterations so that the piece fit his/her hands better and is far from "bubba" work.

This type of thing is common and the repair is common. As you already mentioned there are several different ways to repair the small area where the rounding was done. One other is to simply take a black Sharpie and color over the areas. The ink from the Sharpie will wear off (or can be removed) and you'll see the color.

The larger issue is that you are concerned about "damaging" the piece. Or that whatever color it turns out to be will drive you to distraction by being a distraction. Relax some with that because most anything you do, other than the removal of metal, can be repaired.

I can't tell you how the repair will look. What looks normal to me may look a horror to someone with different sensibilities. What looks blackish to me may look "too blue" to another eye.

I advise picking a method and doing it. That's how we learn.

Worry not! It's just a tiny corner of a gun.

tipoc

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Tom:

"Were my novak sights dropped on?"

Seriously??? Poor English skills aside, HOW the hell is anybody here going to know if somebody dropped your pistol? And you don't know how to fix that? What color?
REALLY???

This is my vote for the worst thread ever. Your repeated silly questions remind me of that party we've all been to - the one where somebody brings their obnoxious kid to an adult gathering and the kid interrupts every single conversation and won't shut up.

When someone suggests that you should read the forum's back posts, that's a nice way of assisting the new member to up their game, get up to speed, increase their knowledge base, all in order that they may thereafter engage in intelligent discourse with the rest of the group.
You say that you've done this, but despite being a member since 2013, the tone and content of your posts tells us otherwise.

[THINK before you post something. You incessant juvenile questions are dragging the intelligence quotient level of this forum into the sewer.
Your queries and comments are so devoid of rational thought that I'm beginning to think that you are a troll.

READ more, POST less. Strive for content, not quantity. You're constant attention seeking is making you look really, really bad.
And just who named YOU to be the forum police??????

You are getting a one month time off from the forum and if you decide to come back, do so with a better attitude toward your fellow members.

There was no need for you to go off on the OP at all. If you don't like what you read, move on.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

I agree with you fully sir. This site is not always friendly to new people. Thank God not all discussion forums are like that. There is a truck forum I belong to that constantly restarts topics and no one gets the least bit upset.

To the original poster: I am not at all familiar with the "pens" these guys are suggesting but if it bothered me I'd hit it with a black sharpe and go on.

I collect mostly combat arms from the great wars and I have weapons I am sure were dropped! It happens. I wish our guns could tell us their stories. I have a Mauser with that I think are TEETH impressions in the steel buttplate. I guess it knocked those teeth out when it smash the guy's face.

Be thankful those tang edges are gone! I have a BHP where those are very sharp!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Nokblue3 and thanks for the constructive suggestions to anyone that actually contributed to this thread. I was raised that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. But I digress!

The dings don't bother me so much as I was more curious as to what exactly may have happened here. But I might as well try a pen and see what I can do about it! I'll post the results when I finish!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Thanks Nokblue3 and thanks for the constructive suggestions to anyone that actually contributed to this thread. I was raised that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. But I digress!

The dings don't bother me so much as I was more curious as to what exactly may have happened here. But I might as well try a pen and see what I can do about it! I'll post the results when I finish!
I would recommend using one of the pens as suggested. You can get them almost anywhere including Walmart.

Black touch up

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Clea...ng-Maintenance/Super-Black™-Touch-Up-Pen.aspx

Or their blue touch up pen.

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Refinishing/Metal-Finishing/Presto®-Gun-Blue-Touch-Up-Pen.aspx

If it were me I would get this because I have found it yields much better results. The gel stays where you put it so it is perfect for your sight touch up. On top of that it will blue the sights to a much deeper blue/black than the pen will. I take a blow dryer heat up the metal a bit before application and it has always done well for me as a touch up blue. I would not reblue and entire gun with it but for your application it should be perfect.

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Refinishing/Metal-Finishing/Perma-Blue®-Liquid-Paste-Gun-Blue.aspx

·
Registered
52 Posts
And just who named YOU to be the forum police??????

You are getting a one month time off from the forum and if you decide to come back, do so with a better attitude toward your fellow members.

There was no need for you to go off on the OP at all. If you don't like what you read, move on.

A big +1. I look at this forum like a big family, we are all doing what we love which is buying & working on and talking about the Browning HP. I agree that the search function needs to be used but I sit here and read all the threads and post's and find answers to interesting questions that I haven't asked or searched for yet. And just like a big family you need to have a little patience sometimes.

Mark

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
If ya use cold blue heat up the rear sight with a heat gun a bit, the blue will take better...
Use a hair dryer on high, if you are not very careful with a heat gun, you will cook the paint out of the sight. Then you will make another Newbie post about repainting the white dots in the sight.........:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts