1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The MIM parts on rugers fit and function just fine. Function a lot better than the forged parts on my other 1911 out of the box

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
Search function is your friend. You could do a doctorate's on this subject.

Good mim gets the job done. I like the mim parts in Ruger's pistols. I do not care for the flats they put on the pins of those parts. My two Ruger 1911's both have new slide stops because of that fitting flat. Also grip safeties are replaced, not because the grip safeties were poorly made...they didn't play well with my hand when shooting the pistol.

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
Which, of course, is true of any process.
I have 50k rounds on a MIM slide stop and ambi safety, and both are still ticking.

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
:rock: ^^^ there's a quotable quote :rock::rock:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
MIM serves for a price point and is considered unacceptable after crossing that threshold. I honestly have no issue with it and have spoken to gunsmiths who spoke very highly of Ruger's MIM parts. Some folks also don't like cast frames but again, if made right it will last. My Ruger 1911 has over 10k rounds put through it and still functions fine.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Of parts that have broken on my 1911's, 3 extended ejectors and a safety lever (That was a MAJOR manufacturer part from a high-level retailer and both swore it was counterfeit China knockoff though it was their packaging), but none of those were tool steel/machined/forged parts. I'm not of the camp in either direction but that's the facts as I've experienced them. At a certain price point it's expected.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The MIM parts on rugers fit and function just fine. Function a lot better than the forged parts on my other 1911 out of the box
If that's the case, the MIM parts were just hand fitted better is all.
Nothing wrong with MIM parts, I have many that have them; that being said, forged tool steel bar stock will always be stronger and nearly unbreakable.
If a MIM part is going to break the bar stock in it's place (probably) wouldn't have.

·
Super Moderator
71,886 Posts
You can blame Kimber for the reputation of MIM parts. Back in the early 2000s they had a rash of issues with broken parts, everything from thumb safeties snapping off to grip safeties literally breaking in half. I had two Kimbers, and between them I had a failed slide stop, ejector retaining stud and firing pin safety block. The problem wasn't with MIM in general but the quality control of whoever was their supplier at the time. When the sintering, debinding and heat treating processes are properly controlled you end up with a part far superior to a cast one and nearly as strong as a forged component. But if the process isn't controlled you can end up with parts that have tiny voids in the metal that become future failure points. That being said, it's possible to have bad cast and forged parts as well. But MIM has become the wave of the future because it's much cheaper to make parts in volume that way. Virtually every gun manufacturer uses it now, so it's not going away.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
First, learn how MIM is made. Next, study metallurgy, including density and typical faults when stress failures have occurred and been examined. Then decide for yourself.

That way, you'll have figured out the answer per your own assessment (no matter which way you decide), and you'll avoid the myriad different opinions of others. And you'll have found the answer that matters to you.

-----

And if you really wish to rely on someone else's opinions, Member rellascout has pointed you in a good direction...+1911

Hilton Yam's thoughts on MIM. He might or might not know anything about 1911s. :biglaugh:

https://youtu.be/0fE4veJykLg
----

There's also the concurrent thread "Kimber and MIM parts" in the Kimber sub-forum.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Are you sure that your other 1911s really have forged small parts?

Although frames and slides are most typically forged (i.e., machined from rough forgings), forged small parts are rare in a 1911. They are typically MIM, cast, or (on top tier 1911s) machined-from-barstock...but not forged.

And as others have pointed out, a part that's well fitted will typically feel/function better than a poorly fitted part, regardless of the method of fabrication. If feel/function of your other 1911s is not as good as your Ruger, then most likely, very little effort was made to fit the parts. That's an entirely different reason than the manner of fabrication of those parts.

---

Separate from the thread's subject, the thread is approaching the latter stages of its shelf life. Not yet a necro thread, so I added my input FWIW, but still a bit aged.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I replaced virtually of of the Ruger MIM parts with Wilson Combat Bulletproof parts that are indeed machined from billet stainless. I'm pleased with the result.

·
Super Moderator
71,886 Posts
Are you sure that your other 1911s really have forged small parts?
A common theme on this forum is the guys who say they can't stand the MIM or cast parts on their 1911s, so they replace them all with parts from Wilson, Brown, etc...; parts that they fail to realize are also MIM or cast! Only the expensive top-tier parts like Wilson's Bulletproof line are forged or machined from barstock.

·
Registered
328 Posts
In my opinion, it is ridiculous to change out "MIM" parts just because they are "MIM" if they are not fit right, usually they can be fit properly. If you replace them, those parts will most likely need to be fitted as well. They are just as strong in most cases. I know what I am getting when I buy a Ruger and I usually do a bit if fitting and a lot of polishing, mostly because I enjoy doing it. If I replace a part, it is for performance, not because someone said it is junk. That is what this is all about too. Someone told us "MIM parts are junk" LOL. Just my humble opinion so no reply is necessary.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
MIM does have a hysteria associated with it. Bad MIM is bad, good MIM is fine.
For complex parts MIM actually is an excellent choice to balance quality, cost & durability.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts