1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been asking questions, reading, and researching 1911's for the last month or so. I've been trying to find the best buy for the money, but most importantly....something that will be a reliable and accurate "carry gun". Since I can't carry at work, I will probably only actually carry this gun on the weekends and other times when not at work (camping, hiking, hunting).

I've finally narrowed it down to only 2 guns. I WAS deadset on the Colt, but I found a great deal on a CBOB.

* Colt SS Lightweight Commander XSE (O4860XSE). Around $900

* Dan Wesson Commander Bob-Tail (CBOB). Around $800

From all the reviews I've read, they both seem to be pretty equal on fit & finish.

If you had a choice, what would you get and why. I'm getting ready to order something in the next few days.....so I thought you guys might be able to give me your opinions.

Dan Wesson CBOB

Colt LW Commander XSE

·
Registered
116 Posts
I haven't fired either of those specific pistols, but I don't doubt both are
fine guns. I have been dabbling around with 1911A-1 handguns for almost
40 years, and from my experience, Colts usually do much better in the
re-sale market.
That said, my last two 1911 purchases were an Auto-Ordnance and a
Springfield. :dope: :confused:

Walterjoe

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I own an XSE Colt Commander and a Dan Wesson Government PM7-S, the Colt in .45ACP and the Wesson in 10mm -- both are nice weapons...

As always, when a selection comes down to a couple handguns, both with good reputations and similar prices, I always opt for the Colt, just because it's a Colt and nothing more...

One fellow posted about resale, and, yes, I would agree with him that the Colt will/should/might hold its value more than the Wesson, but you don't purchase a firearm with resale in mind, at least I don't. That being said, down the line when the firearm does change hands, the Colt wins...

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I own both. The Colt is lighter, therefore easier to carry for extended periods but the CBOB comes already Bobtailed and I consider a Bobtail to be the sweetest shooting and easiest to conceal, so much so that I have had my Colt Commander XSE and my Scandium Smith & Wesson Bobtailed.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I only have a LTW Comm of the 2 listed. My LTW is my EDC (when I'm not working) and I plan to have it bob-tailed and nite sited.
My next handgun purchase will be a CBOB.

My take on the question:

CBOB will hold up longer and easier with extended shooting. (LTW alum frame has a life of 30k rds +/- I've read--don't know for sure, IIRC).
CBOB will conceal easier (due to the bob frame) and IMHO draw easier w/o the front cocking serrations.
LTW will carry easier over long extended carry, though a great belt and good holster may make this a moot point.
CBOB already has nite sites, but I'd have to change them for trijicon (or similar versions) white outline nites.
CBOB has front strap checkering, though I have skateboard/grip tape on my LTW and like it better than 20 & 30 lpi, but like 25lpi the same as the tape.
CBOB has a better grip safety than the "turned down" stock Colt safety. Changed mine out with a Wilson drop-in.
My opinion is you won't go wrong with either, but I would go for the CBOB.

I always enjoy the remarks that "buying a Colt will hold it's value better". I don't know about others, but I don't buy anything with the intention of SELLING it. Only an emergency would force me to do that. Tracy

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know anything about the Dan Wesson, but I am a Colt fan and if the 2 were sitting alongside each other on a table, I would take the Colt. I think that the resale value of the Colt would be better, but not sure. I have a Colt Commander and it has given me excellent service. No offense to DW, I just like Colt better.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, after reading several reviews, reading tons of forum posts, and listening to owners of each gun, and comparing features.....and more reading....I've decided to go with the Dan Wesson CBOB. Believe me, it was a tough choice.

Both guns were priced close to the same. One was lighter with hardly any options, and the other was heavier but with many, many more nice features.

I figured that since I will be shooting this gun alot, the extra features of the CBOB would compensate for the extra weight when carrying it.

I will have to post up some pics when ever it shows up...hopefully early next week.

Thanks for all of the advice from everyone.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I just made the same decision, CBOB. We shall see how it works out.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Colt wins It will hold value better .I am sure the Wesson is a cast frame. Go look around I remember seeing a slide broke in half on one of the DW boards and write up about the frames. Are Colts perfect no But I trust them more.
I have 2 Commanders and the LTW carries fine. You can always get it Bob tailed if you feel the need. Ed Brown sells all the stuff MSH and Jig little over 100 bucks All you need is a gunsmith or a machine shop to make the cuts.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Get the Colt...

The last Dan Wesson commander I examined was using a full size government frame without the "Commander" cut of an additional .100" taken off the frame for more rearward travel. This negates you being able to "slingshot" the slide if you are training that way. Wesson says that they changed the original Colt specs to their own and it doesn't make any difference. To get the frame remachined would cost you a couple of hundred from most custom 1911 'smiths. Also, their is no "butterfly" relief cut on the vertical barrel impact surface which they disagree with Colt. There are some threads on this if you do a search under the Dan Wesson section. The poster was "Chocobo".
So to each his own, but for my money I want the Colt specs! Also, I am not trying to step on anyones toes here! This is the way I see it and the way I want to build my 1911's. I just wanted to give you a "mechanical reason for what my first choice would be.
Barry

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, I'm glad I made the choice I did. My new CBOB is amazing. As far as I can tell (not being a gunsmith by any means), the fit and finish on the thing looks perfect. The slide feels like it's on bearings.....smooth with no play what so ever. I took it all apart and gave it a good cleaning....the machine work is superb . I couldn't be happier with it. I can't wait to get it to the range!!

Here are a few pics.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great Gun

I have one myself. It is a colloboration with Ed Brown which enhances it further in my mind. They have tight/short chambers and can be sensitive to ammo. Mine cycles Rem Golden Sabres (230 grain) flawlessly as well as CCI FMJ for practice.

·
Premium Member
7,704 Posts
I would have went with the Colt myself, but you still bought a nice gun, now just go and put a couple hundred down on that Colt cuz you know you want one that has the pony on it.:rock:

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
I have a CBOB and it slingshots fine. I haven't shot it yet as the weather is terrible on the Oregon coast lately.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I've had my CBOB since Saturday, and it slingshots fine and shoots very fine. Balked on my old mil-spec/gunshow mags, but is 100% so far with CMC and ACT mags. Been shooting Rem UMC 230 JHP, CorBon DPX, remfg LSWC, and remfg 230 FMJ, about 300 rounds so far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts