Votes: 17 7.9%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....if you want it to feed any and every type of ammo you threw at it. Specificall, lead SWC, and Remington Golden Sabers?
Kimber?
Dan Wesson? (the Pruitt model looks nice...)
Springfield?
Colt?

I'm only interested in production guns here. If your $1500 Rock River, or your $3k Wilson feeds everything, that doesn't really matter to me. Is it possible to get a 1911 for $750 or less that will reliably feed any kind of ammo? Is it worth it to buy a Mil-Spec Springfield and have a ramped barrel installed by a 'smith?

I don't want to tinker,I don't want to experiment, I don't want it to be magazine finicky, I don't want it to need 1k rounds just to pretend to function flawlessly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't know of any 1911 that fits your parameters. I have a Beretta 92FS that will do what you are asking, nut that's not what you're looking for is it?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I voted for Colt. The quality is generally very good in terms of fit and finish. The parts are also generally of better quality than the others you listed (I cannot speak for Dan Wesson, I am not too familiar with those). There are fewer MIM parts in the Colt, and the extractor is now machined from bar stock. The slide stop is forged.

As far as not having to tinker with it, you will probably have to check the extractor tension on any 1911 you buy. That's just par for the course. Using good magazines (i.e. not factory mags) and good ammo will take care of the majority of reliability issues you might have.

--tdow

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I voted Kimber based on your parameters. I have three and all have fed both LSWC and GS without a hitch for me. I had a Para Ord that balked at the SWC's, so I wouldn't recommend them. I also have some of the higher priced ones you mention and they also have not balked at any ammo i've thrown at them, but they aren't in your plans. I think you'd also have just as good luck with Colt or SA though. I've had quite a hankering for a Colt lately, but I don't have one to give you and feedback from. I had an old 70 series commander I never shot alot, but as I recall it didn't have any problem with the SWC's. You probably won't find one of those at this point unless its used. I think the best bet is to find the one you like most from a reputable maker and then shoot it alot.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I voted Colt, because that is the only one out of Springfield, Kimber and Colt, that has functioned flawlessly. Kimbers may be great pistols for some, but it just rubs me the wrong way when you go by their "500" round break in, then continue to have feed problems, call them and get to hear them say you aren't shooting it properly. This was with a Pro Carry and a Pro CDPII. The Springfiels was a minor issue. The two piece guide rod comes undoen, easily cured with some teflon plumbers tape. My NRM Colt goes thru anything, this is with factory mags, CMC Power and Shooting Star mags, and GI surplus mags that I got from Midway USA for $4.95 a piece.

·
Registered
844 Posts
In the last year I have purchased 2 Colt milspec's and 2 Springfield milspec's new in box. All guns have fed flawlessly both ball and JHP's. My Springfield Champion with a ramped barrel seems to choke a lot on the first round of HP's. It is very sensitive to the shape of the HP.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'll have to go with one of the newer manufacture Colts. Their quality control is returning to a fine standard and the internal parts are of a higher caliber than many other factory issue 1911s. And as an added plus, the frames and slides are still considered the industry standard to many gunsmiths. I've had 4 Colt 1911, and problems with only one of them, the "customized" one.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Based on the number of issues that factory guns are shipped with and whether they work out of the box.....there's only one company that makes generally trouble free 1911s that work out of the box, have superb bluing, have the great traditional 1911 look and feed most every type of round......Colt.

As much as I like Kimber Series 1 pistols, S&W 1911s and the Dan Wesson RZs and Patriots........If I could only pick one pistol it would be a Colt.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
42 Posts
I voted for colt being i'm a kimber owner and realizing that their not all that their cracked up to be as everyone says. I think you really can't go wrong with Colt. A Colt will definetly be my next 1911.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I voted for Colt. I have a 5" 1991A1, the one with the matte blue finish (kinda black parkerized looking finish) and the big, ugly roll marks. It feeds standard 230gr ball ammo(S&B, UMC, US surplus, Winchester White Box), 200gr lead and plated semi wadcutters, 185gr jacketed semi wadcutters, 200gr "flying ashtray" hollowpoints, 230gr Federal Hydrashoks, and empty cases. Why I tried empty cases, I don't know, but it fed them. It will feed reliably with Colt, Chip McCormick, Wilson, surplus, and el cheapo generic magazines. Extractor tension is whatever it was out of the box.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've got to vote for Colt's also. I've got 5 of them and reliability or functioning has never been an issue. The 500 round break-in scenario doesn't even apply to Colts. I have had magazines (Wilson 47D's) that have caused feeding and ejecting problems in some of them, but I now use nothing but Colt or Chip McCormick mags which have eliminated any reliability problems. I also don't have any trouble with FMC or hollowpoints when mixing them up in the same mag.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I voted for the Kimber. For the money they are the best value in the 1911 market right now; especially if you want an out of the box gun that doesn't need any gunsmithing. For the $750 you mentioned you can get the TLE model, which just about everything you could want on a carry or "tactical" 1911.

BTW. I work at a gunshop in Miami, if you want any info send me an email or a private message. We carry Kimber, Colt, SA, and have the Dan Wesson Pointman thats being made for Dave Pruitt of Gun Doc (also in Miami). For the price it will ne hard to beat. The only advantage the Kimber TLE has is that it already comes with night sights. Having NS installed on the Pruitt model (which Dave himself can do for you) would be real easy, but it doesn't sound like you want to have to do any work to the gun.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on.

·
Administrator
76,559 Posts
Colt. Just watch for a loose plunger tube. The others are a crapshoot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
esquif said:
i have a TLE and its the most reliable 1911 i have ever used. its work like a charm everytime :D the enphasis here is on EVERYTIME
Ditto. Just traded my Custom for a TLE. Love it!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Of the 1911's I've had personal experience with shooting many ammo types, the only one that would not have met your criteria was a Springfield V12. It's breachface was machined way off center allowing the rim of the case to move to the left and out from under the extractor. So it fed fine, but would leave 1/10 rounds sitting in the chamber. Once Springfield replaced the slide the gun ran fine. The ones that worked perfectly "out of the box" were:

Colt Mk IV (detail below)
Colt 1991A1 (used)
Springfield compact (new)
Kimber Goldmatch (new)

I'm of the impression that the magazine you use is more important than the gun. I like Metalforms with round followers and Wilson 7 rounders. MecGars feed good too but I cracked the feed lips on the one I have. The common denominator for all these mags is a follower with a tab on the front that will not allow the follower to tilt or move forward.

When my Colt MkIV belonged to my college it was a jam-o-matic. At least 2 jams every 50 rounds (sometimes 15 per 50 it seemed like) while feeding out of the original flat follower mag with weak spring and a crack running halfwayd down the back, recoil spring that hadn't been replaced ever even though the gun had more than 50k rounds through it, being shot by people that had never shot a gun before (can you say limp wrist?), and going several thousand rounds between cleanings. When I bought it I put a fresh recoil spring in, started feeding it out of Metalform mags exclusively and cleaned it every once in a while. Flawless through at least 1k rounds. There's a lesson there.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I voted for a Colt, since you indicated that you wanted to spend around $750 or less. Since you live in the reality-based Land of Sun, I would encourage you to look over the stainless steel Colt Series 70.

If price is not a real consideration, you may as well look at the Colt Gunsite Pistol, too. It has many of the improvements that you will probably wind up paying a 'smith to perform on your Gov't. Model down the road. If this is your first 1911 purchase, though, it may be wise to take it slow.

You can also find plenty of lightly (if ever) used/shot, but heavily breathed on, Wilson pistols out there. A LNIP CQB for $1200-$1400 is a worthy consideration, too. 1996A2s and Millennium Protectors are out there for even less money.

I really, really like my Colt pistols, but I find myself carrying a Wilson CQB.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.