1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting a .25-06 for a while. I've been browsing around, and I'm interested to get some feedback from you guys, in the form of recommendations, experiences, etc. Browning makes an A-bolt Hunter, Winchester makes a super grade 70 and a 70 classic sporter, and remington makes a BDL (but it has iron sights).

If I'm missing any, feel free to inform me. But I'm not interested in a Weatherby, Savage, Sako, or others.

I am interseted in a wood stocked, blued rifle. My only other bolt rifle is an A-bolt Hunter in .30-06. You can read bout it on the "ode to my a-bolt" thread. Whadha-yathink?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
im biased because im a remmy 700 supporter...imo it has the best and most easily worked on action from the ones u listed. my second choice would be the model 70...but these are my biased opinions.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Browning.

I had an A-Bolt Hunter grade .308 back in the 80s that was an excellent piece only marred by the bolt that would bind quite often if fast manipulation was attempted. The newer A-Bolts do not (I am led to believe) do this due to a redesigned bolt.

·
Registered
280 Posts
not a weatherby

a eon ago I had 25-06 in a Weatherby Vangard. When I shoot the 25-06 I loaded them real hot ( real hot). I blew throught the cheap Jap barrel in a couple of hundred rounds, put on another that never grouped right and finally got it to work right on the third barrel. By then I had lost interest.

The 25-06 if loaded hot is hard on barrels generally. If was going to another I would find a used Remington 700 and rebarrel it with either a Douglas, Shilen, Hart or Lilja barrel. I have used all four of these barrels on one gun project or another I have a couple of tack drivers built on Hart and Lilja barrels.

The reason I said the Remington is the 25-06 is more of a varmit type rifle ( yeah I took a couple of deer with mine ) but is not a up close super quick shot type of rifle. I performs best with a 22-24 inch barrel. That said there is no reason to go with a mauser claw type extractor, and there are tons of great parts for the Remington 700, and out and out accuracy will give you the most accurate, unless you want to go for a Hall action

If I was getting real picky ( I am with rifles ) I would go with a laminate stock as they are more dimesionally stable and a match Shilen trigger. I would look around around for a used 700 with a straight action that I picked up cheap and strip the action out.

I had many hours ( days) worth of enjoyment with my 25-06 and really was great for shooting crows at 300 + yards, a lot of coyotes fell to this also.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
schromf,
I guess I can see why you loaded them so hot (shooting crows and coyotes at real long range), but mine would be used primarily for deer. It would eventually become my sons' first hunting rifle. With factory ammo, it has plenty of punch behind it, and the recoil isn't near as much as the .30-06, which I believe it is based on (i.e. the .30-06 is necked down to .25 caliber). I actually killed my first few deer with a friends rifle. It is an old Interarms.

In the future, I might have some opportunities to go shoot prairie dogs, which might require a hotter hand load, and maybe then I might have to do some research on just how hot I can go. Thanks for the info. I wouldn't have thought of that.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I just ordered a Tikka 25-06 myself. Tikka's are made int he same factory with Sako's, use the same barrels, etc. since Beretta took them over they realized that people were startng to realize you could get a Tikka for $500 and get 95% of a Sako you'd have to pay $1200 for, and they were starting to buy the Tikka's. So Beretta had Tikka come out with the cheaper Tikka T3, and they are quietly discontinuing the sale of the nicer Tikka's here in this country, so there is more of a quality difference between the Tikka's and Sako's and Sako's sales arent hurt (that is the rumor as to the why of it, anyway--and its true they have discontinued the sale of the nicer ones here). So if you want a great rifle that's sadly better quality than most american rifles for a bargain basement price, you'd need to jump on it quickly. In fact, I know a shop that should still have a 25-06 available if you're interested.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am very partial to the Model 70 Classic. You just can't beat that claw extractor/controlled feed action for dependability. You can even chamber rounds in the rifle holding it upside down - try that with a push feed! As for accuracy, the Model 70 Classic is perfectly capable of 1/4 MOA accuracy in most calibers though I was never able to do that with the three .25-06's I have had - the caliber seemed just too tempermental. I own/have owned Model 70 Classics in .270, .243, .30-06, .25-06, 7mm Rem, .300 Win, and .338 Win. Kept the 7mm for long range (up to 1,100yd) shooting and it will group 1/4, or better MOA, consistently.

If you can get one with the BOSS, it will be slightly more accurate but you will pay for it with blast from the muzzle break.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scoob,
Got your PM. I must pead ignorance here. I've never heard of the Tikka. Is there anywhere to look at some pics of it?

...Hate the BOSS...

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I love my Winchester model 70 featherweight. It was my first "higher quality" bolt gun, and I used it to take my biggest buck. Its a 270--the classic Jack O' Connor round. Has a special place in my heart. And they can be reasonably accurate. But mine's the most accurate model 70 I have ever seen personally, and its somewhere between a 3/4" and 1 " gun. In my experience, the AVERAGE bolt gun is somewhere between a 1 1/2" and 2 1/2" gun. Multiple 1/4" guns would be astronomical. I'm fortunate to have all of my bolt guns be 1"'ers or so or better w/ their preferred ammo. My most accurate gun just now is a Browning A-bolt that will do honest to God 1/2" groups at 150 yds. BUT, it will only do that w/ ONE particular handload so far, w/ a specific load of a specific powder using a specific brand/type of bullet. W/ most factory rounds its a 1" to 1 1/2" at best gun.

Anyway, while I love winchesters and would take one over many brands *cough*Remington*cough*, they don't tend to be the most accurate rifles out there out of the box--lots of decent examples certainly, but by experince I'd say not super tack drivers. Capable of good accuracy, decent triggers, smoooth bolt operation. The only real drawback I could see is its VERY difficult to take the safety off entirely silently--there's always a little click, no matter how slowly you go. But overall its an excellent gun. I have heard that quality control has suffered somewhat since they moved. Perhaps they have finally gotten over that.

Most Remington's I have seen layely have had bolts that felt like they had sand in them, and the quality control is such that I would not buy one w/out seeing it (just ordering it in). You CAN get remington's w/ amazing accuracy and very nice wood. But they have just as many or more lemons out there. So like I said, see it before you buy it.

Browning--the A-bolts are nice handy little rifles, and in my experience have some of the best accuracy out of the box. Decent ergonomics, pretty silent saftey. Some don't like the looks, some do. The only drawback I can think of is the glossy finish they use is super soft and scratches easily, and they tend to have fairly plain wood.

Savages--cheap, tend to be quite accurate, excellent customer service. Major drawback is they are somewhat clunky looking, and to me they just don't "feel" right. I don't know who designed their stocks. They are a "hard" gun to shoot well, though the guns are generally capable of it. Its hard to explain, but some guns are "easy" to shoot well, and some are "hard" and make you really work. The savages I have shot have been hard. But they do tend to be accurate, as I said.

Howa's--decent workhorse gun for the money. Make the weatherby vanguard last I knew.

Other weatherby's. Great stock design to soak up recoil/shoot comfortably. Some like the look, more hate it (I like it). Somewhat overpriced for what they are. You can get some nice wood, but its hit or miss. OK accuracy.

The Tikka's are what I have considered the best kept secret/bargain of centerfires for the past 8 or 10 years or so that I have been aware of them. They have caught on and been "discovered" lately by the gun rags. Very precise workmanship. Very comfortable/easy to shoot. My brothers 243 will shoot right on with my Browning (about 1/2" at 150 yds average--I have seen him shoot a .338 before--measured with calipers), but its much less finicky about ammo and will do it with factory loads. FANTASTIC trigger, adjustable out of the box to lighter than you will want. The best one out there. Looks that some like and some don't. Different though. I'll attach a pic to this.

Almost forgot--Rugers. Very strong. Good customer service. Generally ho hum to bad accuracy. Good looking. Awful triggers. Triggers can be worked on to be decent, but not really "adjustable" per se, as in the average person won't do it themselves. Semi nasty safety, copied poorly from the winchester.

These are just personal observations/experiences from my personal experience. Your results may very. There are no doubt others I am forgetting. Tackdrivers and lemons can come from any brand.

Here's a tikka pic--granted not a great pic but they are hard to find

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Remingtons and other thoughts

I admit I haven't played with a 700 recently I have had some old ones and some customs based on 700 actions, these were very good guns. They are capable of very good accuracy, Hall makes a Remington type single shot action that is probably one of the finest and most accurate actions that can be bought. A lot of benchrest matches have been won with these actions. The difference is the 700 has a cartridge well so it can load multiple rounds, instead of being a straight tube that limits them to single shot, which makes the single shot a little more stable and accurate.

New Remingtons I just don't know much about and I was talking to my smith and 700 actions aren't cheap or easy to find like they were in years back. There have always been better barrels than stock Remingtons. I would be interested in a semi custom if I was going the Remington route so barrel would probably be a Lilja, Hart or Shilen.

Since I posted on this thread originally it sparked my interest in this class of rifle again and I have been doing a lot of homework and thinking on this class of rifle. My interest lies in I want a rifle for my youngest son, that will double as both a deer rifle and a varmiter. Yeah I want it all. I have a custom stock for a Rem 700, but until I run across a action that is on hold. So I want to buy across the counter, or at worst order it and get it in a couple of weeks. That means standard cartridges. Although I like the 25-06 cartridge, tempermental as stated previously really stands out from past experiences with the cartridge, kind of like your favorite girl, when she was good she was very very good, but when she was bad she was awful. The other thing about the 25-06 is has recoil, not a 30-06 certainly but it is a big case and it kicks. I have wondered if it wasn't better to bite the whole hog and go into the magnum 24, 25 or 26 calibers, not much more recoil better performance. I didn't see much in guns that excited me in a 257 Roberts, but I like the cartridge a lot and think it is a better balanced round than the 25-06 especially in the improved versions. I have eyeballed the 243, 244 class also and particularly like the Sako in these. But I am a pretty serious reloader and I always look at little details like sectional density when I pick deer cartridges, neither the 24 or the 25 have readily available bullets in the .300 ( range) sectional density which is what has always worked for me in hunting. I like the 6.5mm ( 26 cal ) but guns and cartridges are far and few between.

I guess I will do some more homework on this, but I will close with has anybody shot a Sako 75 in either the 25-06 or 243? Feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would look into the new 2004 savage models. I have a 25-06 in a wood package deal that comes with a cheap scope and I got the gun for $415 with the accutrigger! I have a big bull barrel savage in 300 wsm and it is the most accurate gun out of the box with factory ammo I have ever shot. I have shot just about every make of rifle out there. Very impressed with savage

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
How about a Tikka? For the money, you get alot of rifle.

- Bimmercat

·
Registered
415 Posts
Did anyone mention STEYR Prohunter?

And as I understand it, Remington has discontinued the 25-06 in most of their models. I was trying to find a Sendero for a customer the other day. Found one listed in a distributor's flyer, but was told it was snached up imediately. If you can find one in that caliber GRAB IT!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts