1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys use the Springfield 9 rd Metalform mags in your PM9 or the Colt ones.Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Mine arent either:confused:.. Doesnt Metalform sell some that arent branded?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, The only sell the Springfield 9mm or colt standard 9mm in 9 round.Which ones are you guys using.Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
You may want to give a 10 round 38 Super mag a try. That extra round, you know.

As far as the 9 rounders go I have the best results with the Metalform round top follower mags.

Bob

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
My tripp 10rd has been flawless, and fits well with the Mag-well I put on my PM9.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
The most trouble free 9mm magazine I know of is the Metalform 9-round .38 Super magazine with round top fully skirted follower. The extra length in the unblocked tube does not seem to hurt feeding with the shorter 9mm round.
It has worked in every gun I have tried it in... which does not include DW, unfortunately

But start out easy, don't buy a dozen on my sayso until you have tried one in YOUR gun.

The 10 round 9mm magazines are pushing the envelope.
My one Wilson seems ok, and I have read well of Tripp's.

A friend and I have just finished rebuilding our 10 round Metalform 9mms into Supers, with the spacers removed and round top followers installed. After a few months' use, the short flat followers had quit engaging the slide stop, which is a deal breaker for an IDPA shooter. Spring replacement did no good. They SEEM ok now, but I have not shot with them enough to be fully confident they are fixed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Checkmate

My Pointman 9 came with Checkmate 10 round mags that fit flush with the bottom of the grip. Can't seem to find the 9mm on the Checkmate website. Any reports on performance of theses mags?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, They are really 9 rounders.I have the same ones & you can stuff the 10th round in there ,but notice that's one round after the hole says it's full on the side of the mag. They shoot good with nine rounds in them.With 10 rounds stuffed in there they malfunction every so often & are not reliable.I see them on there web site.There are listed as 9 round mags. I just ordered Metalform 9 round Springfield mags & will post how they run.They are true 9mm mags with a spacer in front of the follower.Not 38 super mags with a rear spacer modified for 9mm like most other mags.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a couple of Wilsons (9rnd I think, I might have to check them out since they were just in sterile bags when I picked them up I just assumed 9rnds) and they work great in my PM-9 but it is very well factory-tuned. A Wilson shok-buff is all I added and it shoots like a dream. The Springer Loaded 9mm I sold to get the DW required some tuning and when I bumped the spring up to 13# there was the occasional double feed but running 10#-12# they are flawless. I was unable to try out the Springer mags in the PM-9before I had to sell but they never had a misfeed with the beefed up recoil spring. Also, the 13# was just a hair tight and I backed it down to a 12# that had it feeling and feeding pretty good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ok, I got the metalform flush fit 9rd springfield mag in the mail today from midway. Very nice mag if your into the flush fit.I can't do the tripp or wilson 10 rd mags until I get a magwell.First off it's not branded "springfield" any were on the mag besides the receipt. The follower spacer in front instead of the back is very nice & allows no play.The DW checkmate mag has a lot of play. Also the top of the mag is pinched tighter around the bullet.If I rack the slide on the stock mags with 8 or 9 rounds in it then put on the safety to add another round.The mag would eject 1 & sometimes 2 rounds out of the mag well as I ejected the mag.The Metalform mags don't do this at all. Last thing is the metalform mags flush fit better with no play.DW checkmate mags have more play & stick out a hair more when loaded in the gun.I wish my camera was not broken. These metalform springfield 9mm mags look just like the DW ones on the bottom only with the metalform logo(no springfield). I post again after I shoot with this mag. Quack, Hit the nail on the head about the Spingfield metalform mags. Thanks for all the help everyone . JDSIG , Please post a pick of your PM9 with the magwell & tripp mag if you have one. Dan

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Here you go..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks JDSig.That pic helps cause I am thinking about getting a magwell if it doesn't look strange with crimson trace grips.I think it will look good after seeing your gun & the grips shaped like crimson trace at the bottom.:rock:Is that a S&A magwell?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
No problem. Yes its a SandA magwell. Ill get some nonbeveled grips at some point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts