1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took some friends shooting today. They had to buy ammo so we stop at Wally World. Picked up the .40 Win Value pack but they didn't have the .45. They picked up two boxes of Win Clean since they didn't have the value pack in .45. I go scrambling after the brass, get home, and remember that its no good. I popped a primer out and lo and behold, they really did use a small primer in these! What were they thinking? 100 cases thrown into the junk box, more useless then blazer cases. What genius at Winchester thought of that idea? I now just have to hope this stuff doesn't start working itself into my range pickups. Hopefully nobody will buy this junk!

later,
AJ

·
Registered
21,770 Posts
I figure it is so they won't have to make but one size of unleaded primer. Early Win Clean had a large unleaded primer and a large flashhole to vent the hot compound better.

It is going to be a huge hassle as the pool of range brass gets contaminated with this stuff. The only thing I can think of to do is to sort it out, accumulate a supply, load it up with small primers, and shoot it at lost brass matches.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Dang it! Just when I'd finally sorted out the last of that Yugoslav "Hansen" .45 ACP from the late '80s! It used small pistol primers, too! Almost as weird as the batch of large pistol-primer .357 Magnum they sent here!:eek: And, I'll bet one of those .45GAP empties gets mixed in with my ACP from time to time. Oh well, keeps things interesting, I reckon....

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I agree it is a hassle. I found a big old pile of brass at the range and picked it up. Got home and went to inspecting it and something seemed odd. Small primers it was. Glad I make a habit of inspecting brass when I find it. Tossed it all into the recycle bucket.

And Hansen ammo. Used to shoot that all the time in 7.62x54R. Did not know the ever imported anything else.

Stacey

·
Registered
841 Posts
Just think....if you had enough of the stuff you could get rid of the second press setup for just the large primer!!! :D

·
Registered
622 Posts
Trade?

I'll trade you 1 (one) large primer case for 2 (two) small primer cases. That way, you can get rid of that junk!

·
Registered
351 Posts
NT brass

Can you just reload this with a small primer? I thought the primer was crimped - however you do that. I bought a bunch of range brass real cheap, so I have some Win NT. I thought the same thing: load it with small primers for matches where you don't pick up brass.

But can it be done?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ja!

Of course it can be done. Small primers are no problem. If it's crimped, there are several ways to remove the crimp. I use a Dillon Primer Pocket Swedge.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Trade?

Pampers said:
I'll trade you 1 (one) large primer case for 2 (two) small primer cases. That way, you can get rid of that junk!
I've only got a hundred at this point. If I come across anymore, i'd take you up on that offer! I'd rather not start having to segregate brass. Range pickup had caused me no problems in 10+ years!

later,
AJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts