1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first say that this is my first post. I have been reading for a while and always appreciate your experience.

I have been wanting a Kimber Ultra for a carry weapon. I reciently got my CCW here in Michigan. An aquaintance just offered me a slighty used Walther (PPK?) Stainless in .380 with 3 mags for $380.00. It is a nice pistol, but I had never really considered a .380 or a Walther before. Is this a good price and what are your overall thoughts on this little Walther? I am probably comparing apples to oranges. This isn't exaclty what I intended to get but it will get me into a smaller carry piece then what I currently have (Model 92). Or should my oridinal thought of "why spend $380.00 on something I haven't been really wanting" be the one I listen to. Comments...?

·
Registered
155 Posts
There`s nothing wrong at all with the PPK/S. It is a smaller caliber than your 92 but also quite concealable. I have one and have always liked it and found it quite accurate. You`ll find that the 92 is large for concealed carry, probably too large to comfortably carry around all day (unless you`re a very large individual). The Walther is slim and compact thus much easier to conceal but you give some away since it`s a smaller caliber and only holds 7 (+1) rounds. See if your friend will allow you to shoot it first and (after unloading) try carrying it, and the 92, concealed. Then make your decision.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by Duff:
I have been wanting a Kimber Ultra for a carry weapon. I reciently got my CCW here in Michigan. An aquaintance just offered me a slighty used Walther (PPK?) Stainless in .380 with 3 mags for $380.00. It is a nice pistol, but I had never really considered a .380 or a Walther before. Is this a good price and what are your overall thoughts on this little Walther?
Lets first start by saying that a Walther is a fine gun for the price. The bigger issue that I have with larger .380 guns like the Walther is that there are smaller guns available in .380 and in 9mm.

If you really want a small .380 for CCW, go for the NAA Guardian .380. Now that is a gun that I think fits the .380 perfectly. The .380 energy out of a 3" barrel is also on par with the energy out of a .38 special 2" barrel. So, you also have options on that route too.

My honest opinion is that I would rather carry an ultra small 9mm like the Kahr MK9 before I go for a Walther .380.

I am probably comparing apples to oranges. This isn't exaclty what I intended to get but it will get me into a smaller carry piece then what I currently have (Model 92). Or should my oridinal thought of "why spend $380.00 on something I haven't been really wanting" be the one I listen to. Comments...?
Well yes, you are comparing apples to oranges. A Kimber Ultra Carry (along with the Colt Defender) is in a totally different league. It is the smallest, lightest 1911 .45 you will find. This gun configuration is great for 95% of your CCW needs. You should know that shooting .45 acp out of such a light configuration can get you fatigued after about 50 rounds. That can be said about any short/light package. You will not be sorry choosing this as your CCW configuration.

That being said, the other 5% of CCW is needing something that you can conceal during occasions when something like the Kimber Ultra Carry is too bulky. That is where something like the NAA Guardian .380, a snub .38 2" alloy, and/or a Kahr MK9 in 9mm come in.

I have yet to find a "one size fits all CCW gun", but I don't expect to. You are eventually going to have more than one gun that fits specific CCW roles. I honestly think there are better packages that will fit your needs than the Walther .380.

·
Super Moderator
3,114 Posts
The Walther's slide sits very low on its frame. If you have a meaty hand, it is easy to get enough flesh above the frame's tang to have the slide slice a couple nice scrapes on the web of one's hand ("Walther tracks"). Besides the discomfort, this can cause the pistol to malfunction. If you are considering a Walther PP/PPK for serious purposes, be sure to check for this.

Rosco

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have carried an alloy framed FEG 380 for years. Bought a Walther. It was nicer, but much heavier. Too heavy for me. If I want that much weight I want a bigger caliber.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If this guy will let you take it to the range to test it do so. Walther's have always intrigued me and I've had a few (like 6, all made stateside) Some work like a charm, some won't feed anything reliabley no matter what you do.
If you can test the gun you will find the recoil on a fixed barrel pistol is quite "sharp".
If you go a bit larger you can get a totally reliable Makarov in 9x18 for $175 and save the rest for a downstroke on a 1911.

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited 11-13-2001).]

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Seriously you should look at the East German Makarov, the quality is the best of all the Maks. The fit and finish is excellent and the EG's trigger is the best of the bunch too. I own both Walthers and Makarovs and the Maks are head and shoulders over the Walthers, in terms of reliability and value plus the little devils are very accurate.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
196 Posts
FEG SMC380 steel frame, price $150-170 average,good as or better then the Walther.
Small, very easy to carry.Oh, and accurate.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I have 2 Sig 230s and think they are what the PPK should be.The bottom of the slide is smooth enough not to cut you,and the trigger makes the PPK feel like a $10 BB gun(I've only handled a few PPKs,so the older ones might be better).The alloy frame is pretty light,but the SS one is quite heavy.I do think the Sig is larger than the PPK though.Personally I would save up to get what you want.I picked up a Taurus 5 shot 357 because the wife kept forgetting to put her gun in the car,so now there's one there for about $200.Cheap gun,major caliber.If you need something to hold you until you get what you want,look for a good deal on a real caliber.Even though I carry a 380 on occasion,it's a poor defensive round and placement is everything.I classify it with the 22 and 25-If a few in the chest don't deter them,you gotta pop the pumpkin.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Walther's are without a doubt classics, in both look and design. But they are heavy (by todays standards) for the caliber, finnicky about ammo, and will bite the web of your hand if you're not careful. You can buy a lightweight 38 for roughly the same money, particularly a Centennial model, and fix all of the above concerns.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I bought a Walther PPK/S in .380 ACP. I was very pleased with it, once I found the bent magazine lip that was causing misfeeds. Smith & Wesson sent me two (!) replacement magazines under warranty, and the gun hasn't failed since.

It is indeed heavy, as all-steel guns are, compared to the plastic, aluminum, titanium, or whatever they use these days. That makes the Walther less than ideal for concealed carry, despite it's small size.

It is more accurate with Winchester Silvertips than I am, despite the teensy little barrel and a sight radius about the length of my pinky.

Would I buy it again, knowing what I know now? No. I'd probably buy a Kahr 9 mm. But am I going to sell it and buy the Kahr? Nope. It isn't that bad a gun to slip into a small space when I need a gun that will do that.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I sold a buddy of mine my last ppk/s, I'm still tryin to get it back. Meantime I got a Kahr MK9 elite. Loaded, it weighs the same as a loaded glock 26.
However, I don't feel comfortable putting the Kahr in my pocket.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I went through a Walther phase a few years ago. I had a German made blue PPK/s that was wonderful. I traded it for an American made stainless PPK. The PPK was a total POS. Even after having the factory work on it I was very disappointed. A friend of mine had an actual German PPK, not the PPK/s. It was also very nice. I wouldn't touch an "American Walther" with a ten foot poll. A German one might interest me, mostly for historical value. Watch-Six

------------------
Get your 1911s and AR15s while you still can!

[This message has been edited by Watch-Six (edited 11-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Watch-Six (edited 11-14-2001).]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all. I knew you guys would give me the straight skinny on Walthers.I think I'll hold out for what I really want. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
"I bought a Walther PPK/S in .380 ACP. I was very pleased with it, once I found the bent magazine lip that was causing misfeeds. Smith & Wesson sent me two (!) replacement magazines under warranty, and the gun hasn't failed since."

I don't know why you all complain about smith and Wesson...they even honor walther warranties.....

BTW..I had a 1966 German model and I sold it for 400 bucks becuase it jammed just as easy as an American one.....

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey, don't forget about Kel-Tec. Just had to throw that one out there.

I'm looking at their 9mm model for times when carrying a government model 1911 isn't really practical.

I took a look at their .32 model the other day and though I really prefer to carry something with a bit more uummphh,,,,the darn thing couldn't have weighed much more than 7 or 8 ounces unloaded.

They've been getting pretty good reviews from what I've read,,,,and the local shops have noted they've been quite popular with CCW holders.

Plus, their MSRP is only around $280 new and correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 9mm accept certain S&W mags?

Thanks,
H4444

[This message has been edited by h4444 (edited 11-14-2001).]

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Walther .380's are a straight blowback action - no locked breech like the Colt .380 models - so the recoil is quite sharp to some people.

Having said that, personally, I like the Walthers. However I don't like double action triggers. If I were hunting for a .380 I would buy a Colt or Llama.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts