1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, moderator. Can you transfer this post to "General gun discussion." Thanks.

·
Administrator
72,143 Posts
Lugers are outrageously difficult and expensive to make. They epitomize old-world craftsmanship in their construction, with lots of hand-fitting of the parts. While it is possible to make new ones (and some folks have tried in recent years) the cost and low collectibility of such "repros" makes it impractical.

Besides, you can get a REAL Luger in decent shape for less than $600 if you don't care about one with matching numbers on all the parts. Which would you rather have? Just check the online autions, www.simpsonltd.com, or www.collectorsfirearms.com for places to find them.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
There was an article sometime back in one of the gun rags where a guy was remaking .45 Lugers. The cost was something ungodly in the thousands of dollars.

What dsk said is right. Lugers were a very labor intensive design. Like the Tommy gun, the time and expense eventually saw to it that the guns were replaced by cheaper and less expensive firearms. As I recall, Lugers were replaced by Walthers.

I have one Luger and while it does shoot well, it takes getting used to. The sights are worse than on original M1911s.

·
Registered
331 Posts
DSK is right on. I just picked up a Luger.

------------------
Three Blocks Long and Two Lanes Wide...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, you can get a new reproduction Luger.
AIMCO., Inc 915 Boundary, Houston, Texas 77009 Tel: (713) 661-9301 Fax: (713) 661-5411
Reproduction Stainless Steel Lugers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Years ago Mitchell Arms offered a SS luger
made in USA..Had to have one !!!
Well it was the bigest POS that there ever was..In the short time I owned it,it spent more time in Texas where it was made than in my hands..Finely traded it off,with a bit of green, at a gun show for a 1991 and never looked back..
There are times that I think that a good luger might be fun but there are better 9mm's
to be had..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts