1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I carry federal hydrashock in my government and para what should I carry it seems like these are pretty good rounds for stopping power. Should I consider a +p round?

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. In the full-sized guns, I think that the 230 gr HydraShok is an excellent choice and some would argue that it is THE best.

It does not offer the +P "wear and tear" on your pistol(s), yet reportedly does what it is supposed to do. As a side benefit, it hits almost exactly the same point of aim as does 230 gr ball for practice purposes.

I am NOT saying that some of the +P stuff isn't great as it is, but in this particular caliber, I think that the 230 gr Federal load is hard to beat for defensive purposes.

While I have NOT personally seen this load used against humans, I have seen it cleanly take animals including javelina and feral hogs.

If it is reliable and accurate in your pistols, you are well-armed and this stuff will likely do its part if you do yours.

Best.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> I don't know about stopping power, but you want your gun to go bang everytime you pull the trigger. If it doesn't, it don't matter what ammo you are carrying. The first thing should be reliability, or all else is moot.
----------------
Raspy

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The 230 gr. Hydra Shok is perhaps the best HP ammunition available in the .45 ACP. As an added plus, it is match accurate. I have shot, on a B27 target, consistent 10-ring shots (with a few fliers in the 9) at 50 yards with the Hydra Shok.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no my government model will feed just about any ammo I can find (and Make) I had these really F*cked up wadcutters that I reloaded and the slugs were lower than they should and the old colt ate them.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more thing
Stephen A. Camp, how well did the hydro's mushroom in the hogs and how far did they penetrate?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by Greg1911:
Right now I carry federal hydrashock in my government and para what should I carry it seems like these are pretty good rounds for stopping power. Should I consider a +p round?
Some people swear by HS and there are alot of reports of them stopping badguys in their tracks... If the bullet expanded or not is moot as long as the attacker is stopped quick. I used to carry Federal 230gr HS but recently switched to Federal 200gr +p EFMJ.
Because of seeing some tests where the HydraShok failed to expand after being clogged up with cloth covered gelatin.
It then is no better than hardball.
If I'm paying for a premium round, I want it to perform like one. Maybe it will, 99 times out of 100. But I sure dont want to be that one time it doesnt.
The test results for the EFMJ looked really good and penetration and expansion were good after passing through various material including plywood, wallboard and glass.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What do people think about Remington's Golden Sabers? Penetration tests look pretty good. They're offered in 185gr. +P, 185gr., and 230gr. Seems to me that fits short barreled as well as full size optimums. In addition, the Golden Saber bullets can be bought for reasonable prices (www.midwayusa.com) for reloading purposes. What say ye?

[This message has been edited by greg (edited 09-11-2001).]

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by greg:
What do people think about Remington's Golden Sabers? Penetration tests look pretty good. They're offered in 185gr. +P, 185gr., and 230gr. Seems to me that fits short barreled as well as full size optimums. In addition, the Golden Saber bullets can be bought for reasonable prices (www.midwayusa.com) for reloading purposes. What say ye?

I use them all the time.They feed like hardball and expand reliably.tom.

[This message has been edited by greg (edited 09-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by deputy tom (edited 09-11-2001).]

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have shot alot of 230 hydroshoks, 230 Goldensabres, and 230 Gold Dots. Out of my 91a1 the Gold Dots seem to have less recoil and are far more accurate (3 sub inch groups at 20 yds) than the other two. I don't know about the expansion but the 2 me its the hits that count. All three have been reliable, and all three are controlable, but I only carry match hardball, or Gold Dots due to the accuracy edge.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
IMHO,don't mess with a good thing.If they do plug up with clothing,so be it.The idea is to neutralize,and shoot until it happens.If a few in the torso don't do,pop the pumpkin.If you were justified on the first shot,the rest still are.Ball isn't that bad,it leaves 2 holes for improved blood loss,and Chuck Taylor will give you a few reasons why it's his choice for carry.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Originally posted by rex:
Ball isn't that bad,it leaves 2 holes for improved blood loss,and Chuck Taylor will give you a few reasons why it's his choice for carry.[/B]
Also, Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch publicly states that he carries Ball ammo as well. Just a little extra info for all of you.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I vote for the 230gr. Hydrashock. I put a lot of stock in Marshall and Sanow's studies, and their street stats show the hydrashock as king with 96% one shot stops and average recovered diameter of .76 cal. It is true that they don't do so well through heavy clothing. You might then consider switching to Winchester 180gr. +P fmj.s in winter months.
BTW: I remember a few years back reading an article by Sanow in which he stated that the 96% figure came because guns of all barrel lengths were considered in this study, but when the short barrelled gun stats were thrown out, the hydrashock was scoring 100% one shot stops out of full sized guns.
Out of my short barrelled .45, I use the Winchester to keep the energy level up.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've always stuck with 230gr. Hydrashocks or 230gr. Golden Sabers myself. Everyone I've talked to swears by them, and they shoot almost exact same point of aim as my S&B 230gr. FMJ practice rounds out of my Kimber series 1 Compact.

I am waiting for more data on the Federal EFMJ. Those look interesting.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Yes, indeed. The expansion on these looks more reliable than any hollowpoint, and feed reliability should be a non point. ( if your gun won't feed these, it needs some work) Best of all, they can't be affected by heavy clothing or any of the normal interferences that affect hps, and will still expand after penetrating tactical barriers first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to buy hp and load my own.After years of looking for a bullet that would expand and not just look mean,I make my own now as you can tell from my handle.I use pure lead with a copper baseguard,no fouling,gaschecks,or the smoke from the lube,lube is not needed anymore.and they clean the bore with each shot.I can see now when shooting.I tested various hp cavity sizes and if mine will open up on a groundhog at 7 paces while retaining weight,I'm happy.A jacketed bullet needs a real thin front jacket to open without the cookie cutter result.I found out real fast what flies and what looks "mean".Swaging is the way to go.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts