1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Search was frustrating ,

What ammo is safe to shoot thru my new to me 1943 USGI ?

Thanks and sorry if this horse has been beaten

·
Registered
739 Posts
Cartridge, Caliber .45, Ball, Model of 1911 made IAW MIL-C-1311 and drawing 6000503. NSN 1305-00-301-1685

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
Given the high condition of your pistol you really should avoid shooting it. I stopped shooting my '43 Colt years ago when I noticed the slide locking lugs were getting unusually shiny. If you absolutely must, then put a Shock-Buff washer on the guide rod and a fresh 16# recoil spring in it, and shoot only quality 230gr ball ammo like PMC or Sellier & Bellot. Avoid unknown reloads, Winchester White Box and Russian-made steel-cased ammo like the Plague.

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Given the high condition of your pistol you really should avoid shooting it. I stopped shooting my '43 Colt years ago when I noticed the slide locking lugs were getting unusually shiny. If you absolutely must, then put a Shock-Buff washer on the guide rod and a fresh 16# recoil spring in it, and shoot only quality 230gr ball ammo like PMC or Sellier & Bellot. Avoid unknown reloads, Winchester White Box and Russian-made steel-cased ammo like the Plague.
Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. I don't plan on shooting it much , I may get another lessor Rem Rand I know of to use as a shooter . One of the ranges around here has a shoot that only allows USGI guns and a couple of friends are trying to get me to come along.

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
dsk, why avoid WWB?
Because it's some of the worst ammunition out there when it comes to quality control. Inconsistent charge weights, primers seated backwards, cases torn when the bullet was seated... I've seen all of them. I definitely would not gamble the health of a 70 year-old collectible pistol on their QC, or lack thereof.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Because it's some of the worst ammunition out there when it comes to quality control. Inconsistent charge weights, primers seated backwards, cases torn when the bullet was seated... I've seen all of them. I definitely would not gamble the health of a 70 year-old collectible pistol on their QC, or lack thereof.

I have seen several WWB's in the last year with the case folder under as the slug was pressed in.

I avoid them for that reason.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I'm not sure what you call Winchester White Box , but years ago , I bought a few boxes of Winchester USA , (which was in a white box) and it was headstamped WCC-9X (forget exact date) and had crimped primers. Looked like GI over-run.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a bunch of Winchester white box , now I'm going to have to go thru all of it .

I did come across a large cache of Winchester servive grade ammo at one store , the yalso had Winchester X 200 gr wad cutter , and a 185 grain jackected non HP ?

I didn't buy any of it though , but i'll be going back to look at a series 80 Colt LW commander that is on hold for me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts