1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wanna mod one of my Hi Powers to be my shooter, but I don't want to spend the money sending it to Novak or somewhere like that, nor do I want to wait. Nor do I want to do a bubba trigger job myself. Is there a kit or something that can be recommended? The reset is just horrible...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The easiest, quickest and cheapest trigger improvement on a HP is to remove the magazine interlock.

Most people find removing the interlock improves the trigger enough that they are satisfied with it. I have a couple of HPs with professional trigger work and I have to say the difference in the $100+ trigger job and simply removing the interlock isn't great...

Anyway, it can be done in a few minutes and cost nothing to try it... if for some reason you don't like it, you can re-install it.

FWIW

Chuck

I really wanna mod one of my Hi Powers to be my shooter, but I don't want to spend the money sending it to Novak or somewhere like that, nor do I want to wait. Nor do I want to do a bubba trigger job myself. Is there a kit or something that can be recommended? The reset is just horrible...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
In my opinion the short answer is no. The basic choice is to send it out and spend some bucks OR to learn how to do things yourself and still spend less but some bucks on parts. The BHP is a demanding mistress, you can make her sing but you have to learn how to do it. Improving reset is one of the more challenging objectives. Unless you enjoy doing things yourself and have the patience to learn and sometime fail, send it out for professional attention. Good luck

·
Registered
319 Posts
1. For me removing the mag safety was hard. Getting the pin out without marring the finish is very tough. The trigger improved a bit, but was "variable".
2. Drop in Sears and hammers aren't.
3. Mine took new sear, hammer, and two trips to a very experienced local smith. It is now good and fun to shoot. Not as crisp as a professional job on a 1911, but decent. The BHP is graduate level stuff. No amateurs needed.

It is the guns Achilles heal.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I got my BHP brand new in 1982, removed the magazine disconnect under guidance and just shot it a lot.

I had to go to the safe and check the "reset" on my BHP. It is o.k. to me. I think it has a unique trigger and it is, what it is. Most people complain about it want a 1911 trigger and I tell them to get a 9mm 1911 then.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
For a "do it your-selfer", shortening the re-set is next to impossible.
This operation will require the services of someone the likes of Ted Yost or Don Williams.

Improving the pull weight, sear/hammer break is certainly doable using C&S, Gartwaite or Warner parts.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
And if one decides to just remove the MD, don't forget that you should install a 2 coil trigger spring for a slightly improved reset.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I guess I'll be sending it out. I'm into tactical shooting now, and Ive been using a Glock 19 Gen 2 for that and say what you will about plastic guns, but those triggers are great right out of the box. Going back to the hi power was like stuffing yogurt into a sock trigger wise. Mushy and a barely detectable reset.

·
Registered
539 Posts
FWIW, shoot a pistol enough and the "reset" becomes a non issue. I dont even feel the reset on an HK LEM anymore. My finger moves forward a cretain amount and then back again. Im not even aware there is a tactile reset point.

I know when I first started shooting a BHP, I was all wrapped up around that too. I just started shooting it and the issue took care of itself. With all the mechanics of the slide moving, the recoil, and noise... Teying to discern an slight "click" of a sear is next to impossible. Your muscles however...know where that point is.

Just a moment of Zen brought to you by a Czech.:eek:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Somehow I don't get all the angst about removing the magazine interlock... it just seems so easy... How much work is involved depends on several factors, among which most important is can you simply (carefully) drive the MD connecting pin out of the trigger and then simply pull the MD out... a LOT of HPs will do that.

Even if removing the trigger is required, that still isn't a huge job either... it can't be if I can do it... :scratch:

I have quite a few HPs. NONE of mine have ever had to have the trigger spring replaced after fixing the MD.

FWIW

CHuck

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Silly enough, never thought about just practicing more with it to become one with it's quirks.
It doesn't have quirks; it's all the pistols you've been shooting before you went to a BHP that has the quirks that you've gotten used to.

I've owned and been carrying and shooting a BHP for close to 40 years now. Never shot a pistol before I bought the first one - just revolvers. Trigger seemed pretty good to me then, as did the safety. So all five of my BHPs still have the magazine disconnects and I do just fine with them. One of them has a lousy trigger - really lousy, so lousy that taking the disconnect out isn't going to make the slightest difference. And now I have a 1911, and I find the trigger far too light and the safety obnoxiously large and always in the way.

Depends on what becomes the norm for you. And if you shoot enough, you'll get so you can transition between them both as far as both feeling right.

·
Registered
52 Posts
FWIW, shoot a pistol enough and the "reset" becomes a non issue. I dont even feel the reset on an HK LEM anymore. My finger moves forward a cretain amount and then back again. Im not even aware there is a tactile reset point.

I know when I first started shooting a BHP, I was all wrapped up around that too. I just started shooting it and the issue took care of itself. With all the mechanics of the slide moving, the recoil, and noise... Teying to discern an slight "click" of a sear is next to impossible. Your muscles however...know where that point is.

Just a moment of Zen brought to you by a Czech.:eek:
Same here -- just not an issue for me. Perhaps it's because I have a number of different guns so I just have to adapt to each one quickly -- they are NEVER all going to be the same. All kinds of different triggers, resets, safeties, etc. Just get over it and learn to shoot the gun! :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Keep in mind that the OP wishes to shoot tactical competitions with his HP. Removal of a "safety feature" may disqualify for competition. I've seen HP shooters at competition carry a spare empty mag to insert in order to drop the trigger and show clear at the end of a stage.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Keep in mind that the OP wishes to shoot tactical competitions with his HP. Removal of a "safety feature" may disqualify for competition.
I think it was last year that the rules were officially changed to allow for the removal of the mag disconnect.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I've seen HP shooters at competition carry a spare empty mag to insert in order to drop the trigger and show clear at the end of a stage.
Or... they could just stick their finger up in the mag well to depress the magazine disconnect as they drop the trigger... just like a couple of hundred thousand soldier boys have been doing for about 70 years...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts