1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the DW's use S&W frames/slides, correct? What are the differences between the two finished products?

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Actually, there are far more differences than similarities, and the exact differences actually depends upon the specific model of DW in question. Unfortunately, I don't have time now to list everything in detail, but I suggest you take a look at both mfg's websites, and also do a "search" on this forum for more information. Guanantee that someone will chime in with more detail in a bit.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
While they look the same...they aren't. The DW uses the Colt pre-Series 70 FP ignition system (no firing pin safety) while the S&W uses their own unique firing pin safety system which is a blend of the Swartz (Kimber) and the Series 80 (Colt) FP safety system.

The S&W has a bead blasted finish. The DW has a hand worked stainless finish.

The DW comes with a proof target to show accuracy...the S&W doesn't.

The DW has a MSRP of $899 while the S&W has a MSRP of $932.

Turnaround time for customer service is faster with Smith & Wesson than Dan Wesson (by my experience).

Regards,
Sam

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Is DW's use of S&W slides /frames the reason they went with external extractors? While I'm at it, does S&W also use 9mm size firing pins in their 1911?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RGL01 said:
Is DW's use of S&W slides /frames the reason they went with external extractors? While I'm at it, does S&W also use 9mm size firing pins in their 1911?
Hmm, are you saying DW uses 9mm size firing pins?

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
RGL01 said:
S&W uses 9mm FPs in their 45ACP model SW1911.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
844 Posts
Our 1911 Patriot has these basic differences:

1) Ours is hand finished & fit
2) We use name brand components
3) We supply a Proof target
4) Our 1911 is a straight 70 Series style, which is preferred by most shoots
5) Ours are available with more sight options, adjustable or fixed
6) We fit the rails of frame to slide in the hardened state to eliminated heat-treat distortion.

There are more but these are the highlights.

Thanks,
Bob
DWF
:) :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts