1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not really like the enhanced style grip safety on my 1991's. I also do not like the idea of cutting the frame on them either. Should I use a drop in safety like Wilson's or what is everyone else doing?

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
I'd go with a drop-in, that way if you don't like it you can revert back. Personally, as long as the hammer isn't biting me I don't care for beavertails.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I currently like the King's drop in's. The Wilson's work good too, but the King's just appeal to me.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Good question, U. I'm fixing to put a beavertail on my 1991 because the old style is digging into the web of my thumb as I shoot. It's not hammerbite, but it does leave a mark and I don't like it. I'm not convinced that I need a beavertail, and I think they make the weapon harder to conceal, but I don't see an option.

I'll see what the smith advises. Sure hate to have to replace that hammer and strut just because the thing won't fit around a new BT. Lots of money can be spent in a hurry.

Any thoughts on the Ed Brown high-rise GS in stainless? I like the smooth backstrap but don't mind the speed bump on my SA. Some say speed bumps can slow down acquisition of the firing grip under stress.

------------------
When reason fails...

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
UdontnoME

I have used both the Wilson and Ed Brown drop in grip safety on two of my pistols. Both work well. Though I prefer the Wilson. The reason I prefer the Wilson is they offer two different versions. One is cut for the "Enhanced frame", and the other is for the earlier 1991, or mil-spec frame. The Ed Brown was made for the Mil-Spec frame, which resulted in a gap between the frame and the safety on my Commander which has the enhanced cuts. I have since put the enhanced cut Wilson safety on my Commander and put the Brown on an earlier frame.

there are two things you should be aware of. first, with both the Wilson and the Brown safety, They do not fit perfectly with the frame which should be expected, since the safety is not fit to the frame. Though thy do fit very well. The issue I had was a sharp edge on the safety where it meets the rear most edges of the frame. This edge irritated my hand, so I had to smooth the corners. Once this was done I never notice the safety.

The second thing is, the 1991 has two different frame profiles depending on when it was made. I have noticed that the newer 1991s use the same frame cuts that the earlier enhanced frames use. So it may be worth your while to buy the safety locally so you can try it in the store before you buy, or buy one of each profile to get the right one.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Have used several Wilsons and they are hard to beat. As stated, just make sure which one you need for your particular frame. when ordering, don't forget (which I would do) the hammer if needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts