1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several people on here mention their SA Champion has a 2 piece barrel. Mine does as well.

What are you replacing the barrel with?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it either.

Yes, it's scarey looking; I used to think it'd blow up, but it hasn't yet with about 500, 230 ball & 100, 200gr +P's. There are many others out there who've put thousands of rounds threw their 2 piece barrels with no issues.

But to answer your question, seems that most like the Kart barrels. Remember, it's not a drop-in part, and I'm not sure how you'd fit-in a bull barrel...

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sikhed said:
Yes, it's scarey looking
Yeah - scary as hell looking :mummy:
sikhed said:
Remember, it's not a drop-in part, and I'm not sure how you'd fit-in a bull barrel...
Yeah... I know it isn't drop-in. I imagine I would end up sending it to a good smith.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bar-sto has two barrels listed on their website. One is a match that requires all fitting. The other is a "semi-drop in" that they say may require minor fitting. I am going to try the semi drop in. They also offer a fitting service.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Maybe I'll be putting another barrel on the Champion soon too. Not because it's a 2-piece, but it's soft. Only 600 rounds threw it, and it's all galled-up on the outside of the chamber. (Lugs on slide are burr-free) Haven't been burying the pistol in sand either, but the barrel looks like it...
Photo:

Will replace it when the galling affects reliability, or the breech-end gets too peened up.

·
Registered
23,262 Posts
That is not galling to amount to anything. Any barrel will be scuffed up that much by the slide in recoil.
Nothing wrong with two-piece barrels. BHP uses them to get the "grain" of the cam lug running the right way; and major shotgun makers right up to Beretta and Perazzi use Monobloc construction in high end guns.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.