1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What brand lubricants do you all use?

Just wanted to get some persective on what you Caspian owners use on your custom guns.

I was brainwashed to only use CLP. But I'm starting to think that CLP may not be slick enough to lubricate the tight fittings of custom guns.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
CLP is fine. The tighter the fit, the more you need it.
I used to swear by grease on the rails. My Gunsmith said he doesn't anymore, and so do I. CLP is fine.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,731 Posts
I usually use Wilson Ultimalube, mixing the oil and grease to get different viscosities.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've used and still use Militech-1 from time to time, it's a synthetic oil that has great lubrication. I have found that you can get by with a little less of it than most other lubricants. This being said, I still fall back on CLP most of the time because it is quick, cheap, and easy. I use it on everything from custom tight fitting pistols to Ar's, to bolt guns, and even many of my tools. CLP protects where militech only lubricates.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've used just about everything out there and I think Militec-1 is the best lube, bar none. I use both the oil and the grease and sometimes I mix them. NOTHING I've tried on the slide and frame rails feels as smooth.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
CLP/FP-10

I generally clean with Breakfree CLP and do a final lube for shooting with FP-10. I can get a clean bore with only patches and CLP after shooting LSWC bullets at reasonable velocities.

As soon as my CLP is used up I am going to mix up a batch of Ed's Red. I am still deciding whether to use the acetone or not as I clean in the basement most of the time.

VF-40

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I've tried everything I could get my hands on. including militec, breakfree, snake oil, fp 10, m-pro 7 lube, etc.
the best lubes that work for me are slide glide grease from
www.brianeno.com
and kel lube from kustom ballisitic.

·
Premium Member
4,457 Posts
VF-40,
I skipped the acetone and it works just fine. Definitely add the optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydydrous, it adds a protective dry film to the guns surface.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok...laugh if you want...but are there different applications for grease and oil? Again, I've only use CLP and I put it on everything...rails, slide, coat the weapon with it, etc. Where do you put grease and where do you put oil?

·
Registered
280 Posts
MolyCoat

I know some are going to disagree with me but I have been using it for years and it slicks up all Autos.

Use light gun oil, I use break free, there is probably better oil such as sewing machine oil. Anyway lub the gun then wipe down so it is just a very light coat. Then with a Q-tip apply a very small amount of Molykoat Z. When I say a small amount I have been using the same 10oz bottle for about 20 years and it is still half full. But use q-tip to cover the slide and wear surfaces this stuff is dry small particles (powder). Once coated reasemble the firearm and work the Molycoat in by racking the slide 10 times or so.

When you have burnished it into the surface it will leave small amounts of silver powder as this stuff is very fine powder. Just wipe down the exterior with a slightly oily rag or gun cloth.

This stuff really works and will slick up a pig.

I don't know if the company is still in business even but here it is:

The Alpha-MolyKote Corporation

The stuff has a Mil-spec number of Mil M/866A made from
purified molybdenum disulfide

I learned this trick years ago in the army working on full auto machine guns.

·
Registered
280 Posts
one other note

the Molycoat is the best lubricant I have found for using on weapons in very cold -60 F environment where tradition lubricants start to freeze. But instead of using the light coat of oil use kerosine ( wipe it down well ). It is good to around -90F

·
Registered
69 Posts
been told that Slick 50 from the auto parts store is the thing. i'm just too cheap to spend $15 bucks for a quart..........gotta new caspian that i might have to break down and try it on, though. makes sense though, all those polymer lubricants are pretty slick. i always get a kick out of all the guys that don't lube their guns well. i wonder if they'd try and run their cars dry, too.......pretty basic stuff.......

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
best thing for a gun IMO is mis moly. Its a molybdenum spray developed for bullets and barrels to prevent wear when shooting super fast loads. Carefully spray the rails of the frame...and the entire interior of the slide. you can shoot the gun dry for about 1000+rounds (i have 1200 on the kimber and its still fine) without a hickup. However the STI (which previously didnt function with light oils) went 500 rounds (dry with mis moly) without a hickup. This stuff is absolutely awsome...your mileage may vary due to the tightness or looseness of the gun...but all in all it seems to work BEUTIFULLY.

me and my dad and bro use it on: p220, Kimber custom stainless, STI edge, STI BLS, 10/22 TNZ, Bushy varminter, mossberg 590 mariner, 10/22T. and we have a friend who has a beat around S&W semi (one of the most beutifully engraved ones ive ever seen) that allways needed cleaning because the grease and oil caused issues with dirt, that now uses it because he never has to worry about the dirt pickup.

·
Registered
280 Posts
brand on your Moly Spray

what was the brand name on your Moly Spray? Sounds like I could use it to coat places I don't nomally get coated with the powder.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts