1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to buy my first AR and wondered what brands you consider "good quality"? I am looking at the new Colt 6920 LE6920MPS-FDE as my first choice. This will be a range toy, and I will want to mount a reasonably priced optic on it($400 or under).

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
In the Colt Le 6920 price range I think its about the best There are cheaper guns out there but they aren't as good as the colt for the money IMO.. Unless you make a step up to Daniel defense or BCM..

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
You could put one together from PSA and have enough left over for a case of ammo or optic. Last I checked you could get the Premium Mil Spec upper and lower in the $700 range.

·
Registered
23,481 Posts
The Colts are excellent guns.

And a great value for the money. I have one that I have had for a long time. One of these days I will maybe take it out and shoot it. I also have a Noveske rifle that I shoot with frequency. I think that the Noveskies are a significant step up from the Colts. Not so much from a quality standpoint. But more from a more advanced technology, and metallurgy standpoint.

My two cents.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
If you can find a Colt 6920 at a good price I would go with it also (I have 2, 1 shooter and 1 safe queen)

I would also recommend this as a 1st AR

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...+16"+Midlength+Rifle+(No+Magazine)&groupid=11

1st AR myself I wouldn't recommend doing a "build" as others have suggested, it can throw you off the platform if you have troubles.

The closest I would suggest it a "piece together" of off the rack items, like this

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lowers/complete-lowers.html

Pick the lower in your price range that suits your wallet and that will be your FFL part (you'll need to ship that through one)

Many of us here who "build our own" use PSA lowers and parts and know their a quality product at a bargain price. Always get the "premium" level.

My only issue with PSA's "prebuilt" lowers is the buffer, they use a 6065 grade aluminum tube instead of the heavier 7075 grade tube preferred on "mil spec" rifles.

For a "range" toy not a issue, but while all my "builds" are "range toys" I always use PSA's (or other makes) 7075 grade tubes in rifles I build.

Now for a upper

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/14183/category/4234/

Of what they have in stock now this is what I would recommend (I'm trying not to order 1 myself right now since I'm hoping for something else on the upcoming Labor Day sales)

That's their "premium" barreled up, equal IMO to the barrel on a 6920 series Colt (it's made by FN Manufacturing).

Add rear sights and mags and you'd be good to go. The upper you can have shipped to your place and PSA does the free shipping once a month ...

This is what I'm waiting for FYI

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ium-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

PSA's "cold hammer forged" barrels are their top of the line. I own 2 of them and their tack drivers.

·
Registered
23,481 Posts
For glass at that price point.

And you do want glass for a range toy as opposed to an Aimpoint or Eotech.
I would take a good look at a Leupold VXIII 2.5X8X36. I just recently put one of these on one of my carbines and it works well.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I picked a KAC SR-15 as my first AR on the advise of a local gun shop owner
Sounded like a lot of money at first and it was. Never had to change the stock, front furniture, trigger or anything else on the gun. It just shot and ran from day one, about 2 years ago, till today. With either the iron sights or the Aimpoint Comp M4 aboard it is sub-MOA at 100 yards with cheap factory PMC ammo and with 75g Hornaday Match it will maintaining sub MOA out past 300, naturally, shooting from a bench with a bipod and rear bag.
I have been told by Trey, the son of the owner of KAC, that if, at around 20K rounds or so, the bbl starts to show any deterioration in accuracy, they will give me a new bbl and bolt.
I should live that long to shoot that many rounds on a range toy.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
For a first AR I would recommend a Colt LE6920 especially considering how they're priced right now.

Down the road, I'd recommend building an AR, and would highly recommend the Palmetto State Armory "Premium" line with FN barrels.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the suggestions and tips!

I think the Colt is my best bet for a starter, but the idea of building a PSA Premium after that, sounds like a fun project. Since I am not familiar with these components, can you give me some tips on a quality lower from PSA and the other components I would need?

Don Flynn , thank you for the links you posted!

·
Registered
320 Posts
In the Colt Le 6920 price range I think its about the best There are cheaper guns out there but they aren't as good as the colt for the money IMO.. Unless you make a step up to Daniel defense or BCM..
Step up to BCM, or stick with colt. I'd avoid DD. Been sending out occasional out of spec lower receivers for years, not to spec at grip screw hole. Ask me how I know... Hell even they know, and Larry Vickers. Probably the reason he left the company and cut all ties.

The spikes tactical I sold to get the DD had better machined BCG's and a correctly staked castle nut. The DD's was barely staked at all.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I like any of the PSA lowers. I haven't tried one of their PTAC lowers, and since that's their "budget" line I really couldn't recommend the PTAC or Freedom line for anything more than a range toy. PSA's Premium line of uppers use FN barrels, and are very good. You can pay extra for cold hammer forged, but I don't think it's worth the little extra premium unless you catch a blemish model on sale for the same price as a Premium upper.

I bought a nitrided complete PTAC upper and put it on a PSA OIF lower I had lying around. It was a cheap build to flip for something else I wanted. Fit and finish was good, but I wouldn't have kept it for myself.

I have used a bunch of PSA's "Premium Classic" lower build kits, and they have all worked excellent for me. They also have the proper 7075 buffer tube. If I were going to do another basic build for myself the below would be it. I see no cost savings in building uppers, so I always buy a complete upper. If you can catch BCM uppers on sale with the free bolt carrier group deal they're excellent too!

PSA Premium Classic lower build kit: $89.99 http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10301/category/388/

PSA Premium 16" Carbine Upper: $369.99
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/14183/category/4221/

PSA blemished lower: $59.99
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10445/category/4282/

$519.97 before shipping and transfer fee for in my opinion a much better than hobby grade Ruger, Del Ton, DPMS, etc... that will cost you more money.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions and tips!

I think the Colt is my best bet for a starter, but the idea of building a PSA Premium after that, sounds like a fun project. Since I am not familiar with these components, can you give me some tips on a quality lower from PSA and the other components I would need?

Don Flynn , thank you for the links you posted!
As long as you stick with the PSA brand lowers your good to go. Their "blems" are what I've used for 1/2 dozen builds the past couple years with no problems, most of the "blems" are minor scratches or discoloration in spots.

Parts kits always get the "Premium" level kits. Those come with the 7075 grade tube I mentioned.

I actually like to get my "build kits" like this

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/1991/category/389/

I like to use the Magpul grips and trigger guards when I do a build.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde.../psa-ar15-7075-buffer-tube-assembly-logo.html

Then I buy the 7075 buffer tube kit, on sale every so often. That way I can use a Magpul or B-5 stock as needed when I see a sale on those (I have a couple spare M-4 stocks I keep till I see something on sale)

As I mentioned, if you stick with the Premium or Cold Hammer Forged uppers you can't go wrong. I've used the CHF series for 2 personal AR plus 5 builds for friends the past couple years and all have been quality AR's

This is my 1st AR build as it sits currently. 16" "CHF" upper with PSA lower and Magpul goodies. I built this Sept 2012 and it has 3000 rounds down the tube. Outside of my Colt 6920's it's the only AR that doesn't have the Magpul trigger guard.

That's the other PSA 16" I have, again a 16" CHF upper I'm keeping as a spare.

That's the 16" CHF "Middy" I mentioned I'd like to get. That build was for a friend beginning of the year and I was so impressed with it I used it and 2 other builds for friends since. I have a "Bravo Company" Middy same specs and think the PSA is as good for the money

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Any BCM upper and bolt carrier group. Then add any brand lower assembly, or build one yourself. Done.

I started with a Colt 6920 as well. One of the best rifles out there, but it's just a KISS rifle.

The Trijicon MRO will be out soon. I'm waiting for a Larue mount combo.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts