1911Forum banner
181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,623 Posts
After a couple of black Labs that lived just over 13 years I switched to smaller dogs for longer life.
The older Wheaten Carine Terrier is now 14 years old and starting to slow down.
I already have another Wheaten Cairn Terrier that just turned two.
She is a little ball of fire.
The close neighbors all know when is not going to bite them or any children.
She just barks and barks.

I purposely avoid scolding her when she goes on a barking rampage.
Her job is to make noise.
A LOT of noise.
And she is very good at it.

I will rely on my 1911 at that point.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Grew up with big dogs

GSD's-awesome guard dogs, usually. But might stalk intruders instead of sounding the alarm. Good luck with your home owners insurance. Skill level 9 dog.

Dobie's-great at sounding the alarm. Useless for defense because they're wimpy. Can be trained not to bite. But they're morons. Absolute morons. I've know a hundred of these, all stupid. Mine would go ape if I swam in the pool under water. When I popped up, it assumed that I'm some kind of sea monster or something.

Goldens- are the best dogs ever. Don't bite. Can be trained to do anything, including sounding the alarm.

Corgies- sound the alarm, perfectly harmless. Will herd anything. A little stubborn if you're not the alpha.

Bull Mastifs, St. Benards- useless. Will let out one deep bark, then roll over for belly rubs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A friend was a K9 cop for a long time with Belgian Malinois. He became a detective and kept the dog as a family dog, did not go well, poor dog did not have daily missions. His young son got bit by the dog when it jumped on him. Had to give it to a friend.
Best dog I have ever had was a Shepard Doberman mix. Dad was a big black Shepard and mom was a regular Doby. He was jet silky black with short hair, bobbed tail and floppy ears. Super smart and extremely loyal to all family and friends. Knew about 30 people an a first name basis.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Everyone knows dogs are among the best criminal deterrents one can get. In hard/bad times, I'm curious what breed you guys believe would serve a guard dog role best?

I am thinking real hard about a fila brasileiro for this task. Yes they are big, and they will eat a little more, but from my experience really no more than a high energy dog like a shepherd. A good buddy has a great dane/mastif mix, over 200 lbs and he eats less than some labs I've seen. This is also true of another friends Fila. The Fila/mastifs are very hearty/strong dogs that I believe would far well in rough times, plus they will not out of boredom chew up everything under the sun. They are quite happy just laying around until the time comes to bite an arm off. They are great around & guarding other animals as well.

What say you guys?
GSD. German Shepherd. Hands down. Owned and raised them for years. I’m bias towards them, but man, they are amazing. Now. You need to know what you’re doing. I wouldn’t recommend you getting a full blown, hardcore, working bloodline to start with. They are intense. My second one, I got a bloodline that consisted of an amazing working bloodline pair with a German “show line” bloodline (Sch III ) titled. Bloodline is everything. DO NOT EVER get an American bloodline GSD. I could write a much longer Novel regarding the GSD breed, but I won’t since this is an old thread I couldn’t resist replying too. Belgian Malinois is another one. Better know your **** if you get one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have to disagree with you. Most good family dogs will naturally protect their family without guard dog training.

Are you sure you have worked with dogs for your entire life? If so, then you should know that they can generally do a very good job of picking up on the emotions and attitudes of those that are "in their pack". They will then act accordingly, depending on their size and temperament.

Now if you are trying to say that a dog is not going to look at somebody on the street and evaluate how much of a threat that person may or may not be based on their looks, you are correct and I am not implying that they would, but if somebody breaks into your house and starts assaulting a family member, especially a child, you will see just how fast most dogs will try to get between the threat and the family member. Even something a gentile as a Golden Retriever will understand when a family member is being hurt and take action.

If you disagree with that, well then you have not done a very good job of understanding the dogs you have been working with your entire life.
I disagree with your first paragraph. Kinda. MOST dogs, when threatened will go into flight mode and not fight mode. It comes down to their drive and nerves. If that makes sense. I’m talking about when they are really pressured at very close encounters. Closer the threat gets, their flight mode increases. Not calling you out on anything, just stating the facts. When training a dog, you NEVER want to pressure it into flight mode. It will take months of training to correct it. Basically starting over. It has to start from a long distance, let the dog think it “scared” the threat off. Over time, the threat moves closer and closer and you watch the dogs body language VERY close to make damn sure you don’t send it into flight mode

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
A Doberman will stay by your side and defend you until death. We had one have it's brains blown all over our kitchen floor while we where away trying to stop those that robbed our house while we where away.

One has to have a Doberman to understand. No second of a day will a Doberman stay at your side and defend you.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Everyone knows dogs are among the best criminal deterrents one can get. In hard/bad times, I'm curious what breed you guys believe would serve a guard dog role best?

I am thinking real hard about a fila brasileiro for this task. Yes they are big, and they will eat a little more, but from my experience really no more than a high energy dog like a shepherd. A good buddy has a great dane/mastif mix, over 200 lbs and he eats less than some labs I've seen. This is also true of another friends Fila. The Fila/mastifs are very hearty/strong dogs that I believe would far well in rough times, plus they will not out of boredom chew up everything under the sun. They are quite happy just laying around until the time comes to bite an arm off. They are great around & guarding other animals as well.

What say you guys?
My guard dog is a Bichon Fris‘e he is a great guard dog except when he’s off duty. And he hates a cat. His name is Romeo.
Dog Furniture Couch Carnivore Wood

·
Registered
410 Posts
A Belgian Malinois is a very fine working dog ... tops on my list ...
they are a SERIOUS commitment both physically and mentally .... a bored maligator can turn into a poor house pet.

Worked with often and properly trained, I believe their is no finer ....

181 - 192 of 192 Posts