·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Old post........deleted

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Dobes, what they were bred to do.

I have had a number of Doberman's over the years..........they are wicked smart, pure athletes, faster, stronger and with a greater bite force than even a German Shepard.

Wonderful family dog, loyal and dedicated to their family like no other, they are K9 velcro, they want to be with you 24/7.

While not aggressive, they are very protective ( what they were bred to do ), anyone messes with their loved ones and hell is a coming.

In case you can't tell, I love my Dobes.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This is Tyson. Tyson is a 110 pound Dogo Argentino. He is hell on strays, cats, and any intruder into the back yard..

tyson dog.jpg

One of my favorite pictures of all time..

Toms family.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
My girl is part Border Collie and part Terrier of some sort. Very very sensitive, easily trained and barks her head off when she sees something that's not supposed to be there. Highly visual. Being where I live, it's only occasionally annoying. She's about 40lbs, 10 years old and is such a great companion.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
All I ask out of my “guard” dog is to alert me when someone/anyone comes to my house, and our wiener dog fills the bill nicely and doesn’t eat much. I’m convinced she can hear a fly fart...
They are a very sensitive noise maker.

Even smaller dogs do fine.

Mine occasionally go off when there is a random noise from the house at night.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have three Siberian Huskies. Whenever anyone approaches the house, they begin to howl like a pack of wolves. Anyone who understands Siberian Huskies, knows they make terrible watch dogs. The key is to not let those approaching the house, know that the howling pack are just that, Siberian Huskies.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
I have three Siberian Huskies.... Anyone who understands Siberian Huskies, knows they make terrible watch dogs.
Maybe not good guard dogs, but this statement below is pretty much the definition of a watch dog.
Whenever anyone approaches the house, they begin to howl like a pack of wolves.
They are alerting you to a potential threat (OK, we know it's just the mail man, UPS guy, kid walking to school, trash truck, neighbor mowing the lawn, ...:)), but you still love them.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The one thing I am absolutely sure of is the more people I meet, the better I love my dog...jus sayin...My girl is a yellow lab...85 lbs of cookie eating dynamite...She sounds like she will eat you whole but I have no doubt she will fold if confronted....Fortunately by that time, I am usually awake an armed so she has done her job up to my expectations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For every day life I think you can indulge whatever you want. For long term SHTF scenarios I'd be a fan of mutts/mongrels/bitzas rather than pedigree animals.
Less expensive, less genetic issues/disease and generally longer lived.
Something with some herding/working dog in the mix with a smaller sized hunter or fighter blood like bull terrier would be good. Gut, brains, good immune system and doesnt eat too much when food is scarce. A big dog will be eat more than one of the kids you have to feed...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like common mutts/mongrels. Cheap, resilient to disease, no genetic disorders and long lived. Some herding/gun dog blood and a bit of fighter like bull terrier/bulldog/boxer in there is good. Brains+ brawn. Not overly large, save on money/food for your kids.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So many watered down and poorly bred breeds that were once great. Dobes, back in the Magnum PI and prior days were great. Alot harder to find legit DObes without congenital health issues. just google dobes health issues. Within the Dobe, there are offsets - american european, which are the same but different.
Even more so Within the "German Shepherd", many variations and most what is bred in America is not the same dog it was 30 years ago.
Let's see the variations consist of:
Czech
West german working lines
West german show lines
American show lines
East German/DDR
"American backyard" lines

I have had 5 GSD's and all were working lines (mix between WG/DDR/CZECH), and 2 I imported from the Czech Republic.

Anyway, a well-bred, real GSD is hard to beat IMO. I could give a rat's ass about bite force. If the bite force wasnt there, they wouldnt have been used by the military and police for the last 70+ years.....

They are smart, most have a high desire to please their handler, and they are suspicious, and lastly, loyal.

Attachments

121 - 140 of 170 Posts