1911Forum banner
161 - 180 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
My bluetick is the most loyal and protective dog I've ever seen. He's tenacious on a **** or black bear and no doubt he would downright devour an intruder in the middle of the night. He's strong, not like some showy doberman. I mean he can jump straight into the bed of a full size truck, over the side without touching anything. View attachment 577914 View attachment 577914 View attachment 577914

·
Registered
146 Posts
I also have a terrier mix, sweet little man but vigilant about the comings and goings of others. Lot of heart and smart. If someone is coming he is in a window letting us know and I can tell by his demeanor/bark whether it is an unfamiliar person. He also has a very distinctive cat bark that I am slowly getting him to lose LOL!! It is becoming a cat growl and baleful look at his human to see if I am paying attention lol.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Lisl von Schlaf, West German & Czech line. Brothers working for Kansas Highway Patrol and Canadian Border Guard

Very well trained and my constant companion.

Great looking wolf :biglaugh:- thank you both for your service.

Grant

·
Registered
31 Posts
Growing up we lived outside the city limits and we had various critters for food - like rabbits, ducks, geese, and chickens. Our neighbor had some also. I gotta say that for an outside guard/alarm you cannot beat those darn geese. I don't care what time of day or night if someone got within their sight that racket they made would scare anybody off. Had many nights of sleep interrupted by those buggers.

Nowadays the law would be there within seconds if we had those animals in the same location being it has become so developed in the 40+ years since I lived there.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Everyone knows dogs are among the best criminal deterrents one can get. In hard/bad times, I'm curious what breed you guys believe would serve a guard dog role best?

I am thinking real hard about a fila brasileiro for this task. Yes they are big, and they will eat a little more, but from my experience really no more than a high energy dog like a shepherd. A good buddy has a great dane/mastif mix, over 200 lbs and he eats less than some labs I've seen. This is also true of another friends Fila. The Fila/mastifs are very hearty/strong dogs that I believe would far well in rough times, plus they will not out of boredom chew up everything under the sun. They are quite happy just laying around until the time comes to bite an arm off. They are great around & guarding other animals as well.

What say you guys?

Kangals are built for mass collapses.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
A Jack Russell Terrier is a small, but formidable advisory to have around!! 😂 If you got just one, they won't bark unless they sense something that they're not familiar with near the house.

Reactions: ruffdup

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
988 Posts
A Jack Russell Terrier is a small, but formidable advisory to have around!! 😂 If you got just one, they won't bark unless they sense something that they're not familiar with near the house.
My Aussie/Mountain dog cross is so totally aware of what is occuring on our 10 wooded acres. in a brick well insulated house he can hear a deer move in or an armadillo fart. guarding the perimiter fence line is his job in life. I trust our safety to his alertness. 60 ish lbs. of extremely athletic, easy keeper. He even hates the hawks and crows that dare to fly over.

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
Everyone knows dogs are among the best criminal deterrents one can get. In hard/bad times, I'm curious what breed you guys believe would serve a guard dog role best?

I am thinking real hard about a fila brasileiro for this task. Yes they are big, and they will eat a little more, but from my experience really no more than a high energy dog like a shepherd. A good buddy has a great dane/mastif mix, over 200 lbs and he eats less than some labs I've seen. This is also true of another friends Fila. The Fila/mastifs are very hearty/strong dogs that I believe would far well in rough times, plus they will not out of boredom chew up everything under the sun. They are quite happy just laying around until the time comes to bite an arm off. They are great around & guarding other animals as well.

What say you guys?
Question, to my mind, a long-understood and important distinction:

- guard dog:
job includes fighting on owner's side / behalf

- watch dog:
job is biological alarm system, with a chemical detection system as well as motion and sound detection; any fighting it does is incidental, not likely to be very effective.

So guard dog? By those definitions, I've never employed nor trained a guard dog. I do not have the skills to adequately train a guard dog. And very little faith in the capacity of even a well-trained guard dog in being more effective in a fight against a human than would be any loyal dog. One branch of guard dogs' training being to remain silent as an element of retaining surprise, greatly reducing the dog's effectiveness as an alarm system. Then the required training can make them risky around any not a known member of their "pack".

Watch dog? Those I've trained with one 14yr gap*1 since the late '60s ... some of that time demi-, hemi-, semi-professional: we raised dogs as a side-business. The dogs were trained as to when not to alarm and rewarded - if only with encouragement- all other times ( for any of the several alarm behaviors*2 ). Maybe not as effective alarms as a flock of geese but much more rewarding*3. For a watch dog, good hearing, good olfactory, and especially good loyalty are the important elements. I've had good results with mutts ... each with a large collie component to their DNA, collie being a strong indicator for all three elements. The dogs raised as a business were miniature ( i.e. commander-sized - the general officer's are "toy" ) poodles. Standard and toy poodles I'd not consider ... Those standards I've known socially were too laid-back, not trusted to alarm. Toys alarming nearly non-stop; perhaps, however, just not trained ... and capable of being trained. IDK. The smaller breeds of greyhound I've known to train well ... but seem to recall a predilection for going deaf in middle-age. Blue heeler, one I've known was an excellent watch dog; his owner claimed no need to even train. Any watch dog with an adequate loyalty characteristic makes for a wonderful companion too.

*1- young, living in apartments, often away

*2- ranging from body language, e.g. springing to the feet; information gathering, e.g. sniffing; vocalizations, growling - barking.

*3- ... and punishing ... see the last line of my signature
) -_;

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Question, to my mind, a long-understood and important distinction:
......- watch dog:
job is biological alarm system, with a chemical detection system as well as motion and sound detection; any fighting it does is incidental, not likely to be very effective.
I had a 12# Italian Greyhound who would silently alert and only bark when she knew we had visitors. She would immediately go silent, and remain silent, at a very quiet audible or hand signal. I didn't teach her anything. Smartest little dog I've ever owned. RIP Rosco

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
I had a 12# Italian Greyhound who would silently alert and only bark when she knew we had visitors. She would immediately go silent, and remain silent, at a very quiet audible or hand signal. I didn't teach her anything. Smartest little dog I've ever owned. RIP Rosco
My friend's small greyhounds were Italian Greyhounds. After weeks of their owner accepting me as a non-threat and me letting the younger one, Annie, gnaw the little bits of flesh and gristle off my chicken wings ( not the bones ) I became a valued member of the extended pack. But Annie would certainly never have allowed me to enter the house unannounced ... her wiggling, her quiet vocalizations and loud breathing could nearly ID me.
:- j

Reactions: ruffdup

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
988 Posts
We have 3 large watch dogs that would not tolerate anyone getting aggressive towards us. A 90 lb Boxer that watches for something to eat or bark at, a Chek Republic bred Pudelpointer that watches for someone to throw a tennis ball for him and the Australian
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Liver
Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed Liver
Dog Dog breed Working animal Wood Carnivore

Sheppard/Mountain Dog cross that watches everything. I do not worry about ever being attacked.

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
Just remembered: the blue heeler mentioned in #174, my friend found him, apparently abandoned at the rifle range where we later taught.

161 - 180 of 192 Posts