1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see these light springs described as a target-load spring.

What kind of load would be used for a spring this light? What FPS, for example, for a 185 gr bullet?

I'm trying to find a Bullseye load, currently using a #13 lb spring, and 4.7 gr. of Win 231 under a 200 br LSWC. (Don't have a chrony yet.) This is a 5" Kart barrel.

I just got some 185 gr. JFP bullets. What's a suggested starting point for good 25/50 yard line bullseye load?

Already have: AA#5, Win231, and Hodgdon Titegroup. I have a spring in every weight from #10 to #18.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've wondered what kind of load would be used for that light a spring myself. I'm using a 14# in my bullseye loads, and find it hard to believe that an effective load for 10# springs is practical. Really light loads seem to either hamper powder performance or be potentially dangerous. I'm curious to see what others have to say, too.

My experience so far has been that light loads in medium- to slower-burning powders are problematic because the powders are not designed for them. I found W231 in the range of loads you are currently using left a great deal of unburned powder that ejected out of the muzzle and down my arm. TiteGroup in light loads created an unacceptable amount of chamber fouling. I'm told that with standard loads neither of these powders has these problems. You will probably find that your light loads are in fact under the minimum recommended charge for these powders.

I'm currently using Clays (a fast powder with higher nitroglycerine content), which is remarkably clean, but needs a heavier load in relative terms (3.6-3.8 grains) than I could get with the others, because it does not meter consistently for me. It tends to regularly throw under by .2 or .3 grains. I like the powder, but if I try really light loads I will get a number of FTF because of these undercharged rounds.

Using extremely light loads in fast-burning powders can be dangerous, since the small charge will only partially fill the cartridge case. The flash from the primer could pass right across the top of the powder, ingiting all of it simultaneously. This is not how progressive powders are intended to burn and can create excessive pressures. In other words, be careful creating light loads with fast powders.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
The 200 gr. LSWC is a good choice--I cast them myself, and they work well in my pistols.

There are plenty of loads for the long and short line, using 3.0-3.5 of Bullseye and light bullets. If you must use these with a 10 lb spring, use a Shok-Buff too to avoid frame battering.

That said, my favorite load is 4.5 of Clays, under either my 200 grain LSWC for the long line, and under a 185 grain Berry's truncated cone bullet for 25 yards. I use a standard spring (16 lb); I find that is cuts down on felt recoil, and aids recovery time tremendously.

------------------
"Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size;

When trouble rises, call on me and I will equalize."

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I don't shoot Bullseye matches, but I loaded a few rounds for an IPSC match in which I shot Minor power factor (125PF).

LOAD #1

185gr plated match SWCs over 4.1 grains of Bullseye powder; OAL = 1.195"; Chronos around 750FPS if memory serves me; used an 8# recoil spring

LOAD #2

155gr lead SWC over 5.3 grains of WW231; chronos around 800-825FPS; OAL = 1.250"; used with a 14# recoil spring

Both are real pleasures to shoot and deadly accurate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts