1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Im looking for a good caliber for a rifle for hunting deer,elk,bear and maybe moose is there one caliber that can do this?
There sure is....any game, any time, any where....the .375 H&H...235gr-300gr bullets 2400fps-2700fps, .30-06 trajectory with sleeker 270's.....recoil on par with 12ga slugs....friend and dad both own one, dad taking an antelope at 325yds....good for long shots....good for close shots....mine is a 20yr old Sako....fantastic round...there are some new import Mauser action rifles running under $1000...well under, if used...plus, Remington and Browning both make one if you're a fan of their designs....if the $45/bx ammo is a turn-off, handloading gets it down to $15-$20/bx.....most guns will group different bullet weights into the same sight setting at 100yds....

·
Registered
642 Posts
What about the 45-70?
Great choice if you handload or have deep pockets, plus keep shots 150yds or less....it has plenty of killing power at extreme range, but has a looping trajectory like a mortar at those ranges....most factory ammo is loaded to Trapdoor Springfield pressure and uses relatively light thin-jacketed rounds not suited for bigger game than deer, but Garrett and several other smaller outfits load heavier bullets at higher velocity for modern guns ONLY.....but to be honest, with those, you're getting into the same recoil camp as the .375....or worse....the H&H gives you a great balance of power without detached retina recoil....many smaller bore magnums REALLY punch....

·
Registered
642 Posts
And just a truth-in-advertising statement....as the first reply noted, a .30-06 has worked on every critter you mentioned...200grRNSP's would do for the largest....or, a .35 Whelen....even smaller or shorter calibers, if you do your part....something like the H&H requires you do that, too, it being just more versatile with room to spare, ie., you don't have to be picky about shot angles because that bullet's going through.....

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
.35 Whelen....
Hard to beat that one...but I've always been a .358 caliber fan...namely the 350 Remington Magnum, which may suit your needs too...but it is a vicious kicking SOB that will cleanly kill ANY North American game within 250 yards from any shot angle with a good bullet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Before I say this, I am NOT a very experienced hunter, nor have I done much rifle shooting past 300 yards.

If I had to pick ONE caliber for a rifle, I think it would be the .300 Win Mag. I don't have any real experience with "wildcat" or rare-ish calibers, though.

Just my two cents.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Before I say this, I am NOT a very experienced hunter, nor have I done much rifle shooting past 300 yards.

If I had to pick ONE caliber for a rifle, I think it would be the .300 Win Mag. I don't have any real experience with "wildcat" or rare-ish calibers, though.

Just my two cents.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.
Excellent choice for people who don't mind shooting magnums. For
mortals, I'd recommend .338 Federal. But being new, the selection of
rifles is limited. In fact, there are many calibers that will work fine.

Joe

·
Registered
442 Posts
Back to the 30.06.
Probably one of the most versatile calibers there is. I have used it with 110 gr bullets to bust coyotes and with heavier bullets you can hunt anything in North America with confidence.
If you reload the 06 comes out on top again with a wider range of loads than anything out there.

Buy lots of surplus ammo for plinking and target.

Then you can discover Accelerators. 22 caliber bullet pushed out the '06 at 5000 fps. Zing!!!!

LINK

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I am sort of partial to the .376 Steyr but it isn't made anymore.

Here is the thing... unless you are going to Alaska for buffalo or Kodiak/Penninsula brown bears, a 30-06 with 180 Partitions with do anything you want in the lower-48 states. It would even be passable for the bears here if you are a proficient marksman. Ammo is common and the cartridge has proven itself for 102 years all over the planet.

A 10'6 Brownie was taken in Kodiak this year...Emerald Isle. It was revered as the "King of the Valley" and eluded hunters/guides for years with his cagey habits and he was believed to have killed a dozen other bear cubs. He needed only two shots to be dispatched cleanly..one each from guide and hunter. Rifles were .375's. When you hold up any rifle cartridge next to a 1500 lb animal like that, it seems pretty small... not even as long as their claws.

Use enough gun and practice with what you have... frequently... ownership doesn't add up to competency.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hard to beat .30-06. Almost every rifle model out there is chambered for it. And you can find .30-06 ammo in every sporting goods store or 'up north' gas station in America next to .22lr and 12 gauge bird shot. If you took Moose off that list, I'd go with a .270. It's almost as popular as the 30-06 in rifle and ammo selection.

Beware though - once you have the bug, you'll be buying a gun for each game species. then you'll be buying a gun for each game species in every state. then you'll be buying a gun for each game species in each terrain for each state. etc., etc., etc.

Guns are like tools, it's nice to have the proper tool for each specific job.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Guns are like tools, it's nice to have the proper tool for each specific job.
A 16 pound hammer works for most jobs...:biglaugh: I like big guns.

Sorry...I couldn't help myself.
Nothing at all wrong with the 30-06...it should serve you well.:)

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
.375 Ruger is very popular here in AK. I have yet to shoot one and have no wish to, but those in the know tell me it has less recoil than .375 H&H and you can play with the performance some more. I like the Ruger rifles it's made for. Quite nice but a little over-priced.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Ammo availabitily should be a long term concern as some newer calibers always seem to fade and your local mom and pop store may not care it. With that being said, my first choice is 300 win mag, followed by the 30-06 with the 7mm mag as my last choice. I'd have confidence with the 300 to knock the turds out of a brown bear at distance.

·
Registered
626 Posts
A 16 pound hammer works for most jobs...:biglaugh: I like big guns.

Sorry...I couldn't help myself.
I can see it now - ridgerunner's dispatch calls in for a Pacific Northwest pickup. So he grabs his clothes, walks out to the garage, and next to eachother lie a toolbox and a sledge hammer. Ridgerunner grabs the sledge in case the truck breaks down... :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
30-06

Shoot as many as you can then decide. 300 or 7mm mags would fit the bill nicely, butt if the recoil is so harsh that you can't shoot it accurately you may be better off with the 30-06. It has a proven track record on most all N. American game. The ammo is available most everywhere and loads are available to shoot from varmint on up. Butt shoot as many as you can then decide "it's the fun part anyway". Wish we had critters that big around here.:mad:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts