1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say an original .45-not A1, just 1911 that was brought home by somone after the war and the numbers were removed? (Not related to my other post) Isn't there some kind of acid that could be dripped on the number to bring it back out so it could be re-stamped? Is there anyone out there in the gun world that could do anything with this other than go to jail for owning it? I understand back after WWII, some GI's were told they could keep their guns, but they had to remove all military markings, thus in the modern times, you now have an illegal gun.

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
Ownership of government-issue 1911s by civilians was illegal prior to the 1950s, when DCM began releasing them for sale. Those who brought theirs home after WW1 and WW2 usually either kept quiet about it or else had the US Property markings ground off. If yours had the S/N removed as well it might be wise to check with the local ATF office on how to proceed.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 09-21-2001).]

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I agree with dsk, it was the US property markings and not the serial #s which were ground off. They did'nt have the knowledge that the military had then. And we all have or have access to today. That the guns were nothing like the civilian versions and, could easily be traced with only the inspectors stamp. And other various markings and differences.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts