1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this off a post at http://www.shotgunsports.com and thought that someone here might have the answer:

"Barrel is marked 8.8mm/72R. What actual cartridge did this gun shoot? The gun in question is a W.Kearner and Son Drilling 16ga...Cartridges of the World showed no rifle cartridge in this caliber. Any help would be appreciated."

Thank you for any help you can be to this fellow shooter. Stay safe, Gary

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I am not familiar with the cartridge, but assuming the numbers are accurate it would have to be an 8.8x72R. Whatever that is(!). I have never heard of it. Pehaps there was an error in the numbers.

Most european rifle catridges in that range use 7.92/8mm, 9mm, 9.3mm and I believe 9.5 bullets.

Maybe "8.8" is to 9mm what 7.92 is to an 8mm. See if you can find a "9x72R" in Cartridges of the World.

·
Registered
22,176 Posts
The short answer is, hanged if I know. The marking of 8.8mm is the bore diameter for 9mm guns (my 1936 Luger was marked 8.81); so it would appear to be be a 9x72R. The problem is I cannot find reference to 9x72R in Cartridges of the World, the 1911 Alfa catalog reprint, the DWM listing in the Handloader's Digest, or the CH/4D custom die list, which are the only references I have. 7x72R, 8x72R, and 9.3x72R, we got, but no 9x72R. All I can suggest is to slug the barrel and measure the groove diameter to be sure. If it comes out .354"-.358" then he has got a 9x72R and shooting it would be a rather expensive custom proposition. If it slugs .366" or so, maybe he has a mismarked 9.3x72R that he could at least buy ammo for. But he needs a better authority than me to say for sure.
Oh, yeah, his 16 gauge chambers are likely 65mm = 2 9/16" instead of US 2 3/4" (70mm) and if so, will take some looking for European shells.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I would photograph it and send the photo, along with a precise rendering of barrel markings, proof markings/symbols etc to some rag like Guns & Ammo. Maybe one of their writers knows what it is, or can give you a european contact that does.

·
Registered
252 Posts
8.8x72r...some obsolete european round..72 mm long with a rim...dunno...

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your help in assisting this fellow shooter identify his gun. The following item was posted over in http://www.shotgunsports.com/cgi-bin/webchat.cgi?category=Shotgun_Talk :

"Back in the late 1800's and early 1900's, drillings were custom made for various people, among them dignitaries of state. Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany had many gunmakers that made specialty drillings for he and his son when they hunted in Africa. These drillings were made "one of a kind" due to the fact that they were made for nobility. Baron Von Greishauber also hunted with the Kaiser and his son, and wanted a unique drilling for his use. The gunmakers in Suhl, Germany were contracted to only make guns for the Kaiser and his relations, so the request by the Baron was turned down. It is then that the Baron contracted with W.Kearner and Son of Brussels, Belgium to build a "one of a kind" drilling so unique, that no other drilling like it existed. W. Kearner and son built an 8.8 millimter/72 millimeter long, rimmed casing, rifle cartridge and 16 gauge bore shotgun barrels, for a "one of a kind" drilling, specifically for the Baron. The Kaiser was outraged, that the Baron would seek other than German gunmakers, that he banished the Baron to a small province in Prussia which is now Koznov-Vaneitza. Good Luck Paul Polanski"

I thought this might be of interest. Stay safe, Gary

·
Registered
1 Posts
8.8x72r

The 8.8 refers to the diameter of the "bore" not the groove diameter of the barrel. This designates a bore of .346" which has a groove diameter of .363"/.366" ie 9.3mm. (There was some variation in the groove diameters between various gunmakers). The 72 is the case length in mm. The R signifies a rimmed case. So what you have is a 9.3x72R which was a very popular medium power cartridge of the interwar years. S&B loads factory ammo with a 193gr. bullet at aprox. 2000fps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts