1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some here say don't worry if new gun won't slingshot, give it a chance to break in.

Some here have Commanche length that will not slingshot well after break-in.

Les Baer says "not intended" to slingshot.

My TRS slingshots and did from day one. I am trying to determine if the ability to slingshot is a function of how far the slide will move to rear from slide stop engagement.

Mine will pull back right at (calibrated eyeball) half the width of the slide stop notch in the slide.

What must happen for a gun to slingshot?
How does break-in help?

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Some here say don't worry if new gun won't slingshot, give it a chance to break in.

My TRS slingshots and did from day one. I am trying to determine if the ability to slingshot is a function of how far the slide will move to rear from slide stop engagement.

Mine will pull back right at (calibrated eyeball) half the width of the slide stop notch in the slide.

How does break-in help?

i've never heard of any gun not being able to slingshot until some of the baer owners on here told me certain baer models won't do this. i think it was the monolith, though i might be wrong. nothing to worry about though, wish i could afford a baer, love those things! :)

some of the members here can prob tell you how to get it to slingshot, if it's not doing it.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Don't have any idea why some Baer's won't slingshot, but others may not if you use a shock buff. Tracy

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
My Monolith HW would not sling shot when it was new. As soon as I took the buffer out, it was fine.

My TRS didn't come with one and when I got my Custom Carry, the poor sap I bought it from took it out already :)

FWIW I have a CQB that had a buff in it when new and it sling shotted no worries.

I don't know man, I just shoot and clean (sometimes) the flipping things.... :biglaugh:

·
Registered
949 Posts
+1 on the Shock buff. I didn't think that Les recommended them.

Later

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
I do, I just don't see the point of it. I think it's a wast of time and effort.

Bob

·
Registered
67 Posts
I do, I just don't see the point of it. I think it's a wast of time and effort.

Bob
Sorry Bob, I'm not trying to be smart, just to understand. Are you saying that you like the shock buff but think sling shotting is a waste of time and effort? I'm trying to understand all I can before my incoming TRS Commanche arrives.

Cheers PP

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
I think he does not like the buff....if your new Baer has one, lose it. My SRP buff(IL GUN) ate one up at 200 rds and I heaved during a range session, no problems since. Must have been that 100 rds of +P HST that killed it:biglaugh:

I thought I may have read that Baer is no longer installing them somewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
I guess I don't care for either thing. I have no use for Buffs (I don't shoot +ps or above) and can see no real need for slingshoting a 1911.

I wont say I never do, but 99.9% of the time I use the slide release to chamber a round. For even faster reloads I wont let the mag run dry.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
I guess I don't care for either thing. I have no use for Buffs (I don't shoot +ps or above) and can see no real need for slingshoting a 1911.

I wont say I never do, but 99.9% of the time I use the slide release to chamber a round. For even faster reloads I wont let the mag run dry.

Bob

Me too. I have been really focusing on round counting lately to work my speed back up on reloads while keeping the gun in battery.

I've had a nasty case of tennis elbow since May that is almost 100% now but still is slowing me down a hair.

Thank God Baer checkers his slide stops. I like that feel, it's instant indexing and allows my fous to keep on target. Small things are wonderous sometimes. I have often thought about a checkered mag release as well.

When I shoot to lock, I use the "stop to drop" so i know instantly that I'm right on the stop with the checkering there.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Hey guys, new here and forgive me but what is sling shoting??
Sling shoting is where you have the slide locked back, insert a full mag and grasp the rear of the slide and pull back & let go to chamber a rd vs. slide locked back, insert full mag and drop the slide release to chamber a rd.

Welcome to the forum. Tracy

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts

How does break-in help?
This difference can be in slide stop geometry, location of the notch in the slide, and the length of the recoil spring housing in the slide. 0.010" can make the difference in any one of these dimensions. In fact, 0.003" in the right direction in all of these can make it happen. Probably why, like USMC0802, my CQB does but my PIIs w/ buffs wont.

FWIW - just get rid of the buffs if you want to sling shot. I like using the release though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This difference can be in slide stop geometry, location of the notch in the slide, and the length of the recoil spring housing in the slide. 0.010" can make the difference in any one of these dimensions. In fact, 0.003" in the right direction in all of these can make it happen. Probably why, like USMC0802, my CQB does but my PIIs w/ buffs wont.

FWIW - just get rid of the buffs if you want to sling shot. I like using the release though.
How will the buff keep it from slingshoting? Does it keep the slide from being pulled back as far?

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
Yup, by the thickness of the buff. It takes up space where there is none extra.

Bob

·
Registered
651 Posts
When the slide is pulled back and released, the lower edge of the slide must press the slide stop low enough that the slide stop clears the slide stop notch
If you pull the slide back and ride it forward, it may be too slow to strip the round from the magazine and chamber it.

Going directly to the slide stop manually avoid both of those issues. A maker/gunsmith can setup the gun so that it won't slingshot, and it can be altered to do so.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
What do the DOD manuals and all the experts say to do?

I'll have to research it but I bet the slide stop method comes up first.

I could be wrong but eject empty mag, load full mag, use TWO HANDS or ONE???

Unless we are worried about clearing malfunctions I can't see the relevance of all this slingshot stuff if the gun shoots fine and is broken in.

Do they use the slingshot method at matches and competition? Where did this come from? Is it a "problem" created to find a "solution" or create banter?

Either a gun works or it don't.

I need this explained to me I guess.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
All the "expert" gun/firearm instructors teach the Sling Shot method simply because of "weapon familiarity". Meaning whatever firearm you may come in contact with, will work with the sling shot method. Not all guns have a slide release. EXAMPLE: So in an emergency/gunfight you are involved and a LEO or other law abiding CCW individual is standing next to you and THEY get shot and your gun jams/runs out of ammo, You can pick up their gun in the heat of the gun battle, reload and get back in the fight without having to examine the gun to try to figure out how it works. Tracy

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
All the "expert" gun/firearm instructors teach the Sling Shot method simply because of "weapon familiarity". Meaning whatever firearm you may come in contact with, will work with the sling shot method. Not all guns have a slide release. EXAMPLE: So in an emergency/gunfight you are involved and a LEO or other law abiding CCW individual is standing next to you and THEY get shot and your gun jams/runs out of ammo, You can pick up their gun in the heat of the gun battle, reload and get back in the fight without having to examine the gun to try to figure out how it works. Tracy
Makes perfect sense, thank you.

I think I may be taking for granted that it would be natural for me to do that anyway when I read these threads and can see why people would be concerned.

Now, with a good firm grip, pistol broken in fully, with both hands these Baers without buffers are not slingshotting?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do all the experts REALLY teach that?

It seems very far fetched that I would be in a gunfight, guy next to me gets shot, my gun jambs, I see it is better to get his gun AND find his spare mag rather than clearing my own jam, then run his gun dry and after all that not be able to get back with it because of unfamiliarity.

Chances are greater that I will get shot trying to retrieve his gun AND his spare mag instead of using my training to clear my own weapon.

I'm thinking the experts are thinking way too much. Stick to the basics and do them without thinking is better that filling your head with hundreds of what if this and what if that. It is interesting to talk about but too far fetched to base a training routine around.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts